Anyone plan on picking this up or already have it?

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
LG Vortex on Androidcentral.com

LG Vortex google image search

Thus far the LG optimus S, T, and one are amazing phones with great build quality. My money is on this phone being the exact same. If someone already has this weigh in and let us know your thoughts on it. If not, anyone out there plan on dropping by VzW on Thursday to pick one up?

Shout out and let us know what you're thinking!

I have this phone in my stores and it is suprizingly fast and responsive. Our lg rep told me it had a dual core processor but I dont think he knew what he was talking about. The phone benchmarks just above the droid 1 but runs much smoother. This is the best android phone lg has put out and it has some cool features about it that make it almost as good as a high end device.

Pros:
Has the power control built into the notification menu like the fascinate
Is extremely fast and not far off from default android platform which is nice
You can organize your apps
Swype text
It seems very well built and kinda looks like the htc eris

Cons:
Smaller screen then I personally like

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I have this phone in my stores and it is suprizingly fast and responsive. Our lg rep told me it had a dual core processor but I dont think he knew what he was talking about. The phone benchmarks just above the droid 1 but runs much smoother. This is the best android phone lg has put out and it has some cool features about it that make it almost as good as a high end device.

Pros:
Has the power control built into the notification menu like the fascinate
Is extremely fast and not far off from default android platform which is nice
You can organize your apps
Swype text
It seems very well built and kinda looks like the htc eris

Cons:
Smaller screen then I personally like

Wow that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I hope this phone becomes widely accepted by the VzW customers. I might have to stop by a Verizon store on my lunch to play with their version. Nothing more exciting than hands on time with a new device.

So after playing with the phone, you planning on picking one up for yourself?

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
No as I said its screen is smaller then what I like. My hands are bigger and using a smaller touch screen just makes it harder to text on. I have sold almost 10 of them already they are great entry level phones. Most users arent like myself and do not want to have the best of the best so I can see this becoming about as popular as the eris was.

Jaredd130

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
My wife finally upgraded and she got one the day it came out. She loves it and I like it too. I have an X but for a beginner android device, its definitely top notch. Better than the ally by far. It is snappy also and I like the LG skin. Now I just have to teach her everything there is to know about android and we'll be set. She's called me easily a dozen times a day since Thursday asking me how to do things. Id swear shes using me.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
My wife finally upgraded and she got one the day it came out. She loves it and I like it too. I have an X but for a beginner android device, its definitely top notch. Better than the ally by far. It is snappy also and I like the LG skin. Now I just have to teach her everything there is to know about android and we'll be set. She's called me easily a dozen times a day since Thursday asking me how to do things. Id swear shes using me.

Hey if you have your wife calling you about android I'd say you have a leg up on me cause it seems my girlfriend only calls to complain about something i did, or didn't do :p

Congrats to you and your wife on the sweet new phone.

ddthld

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
How is the screen compared to the Droid Pro and/or S2? I have an S2 and want to upgrade in January. I just want a phone that is fast, smooth and highly pocketable and an Android OS. I only really use the phone for messaging, FB, backup camera/video and calling. Do you think that this would be an upgrade from the S2?

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Greetings Android Central forum...

I am getting my LG Vortex tomorrow, paid extra for Saturday shipping. I will post full details when I receive mine. Hard to argue with free with an instant rebate!

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Greetings Android Central forum...

I am getting my LG Vortex tomorrow, paid extra for Saturday shipping. I will post full details when I receive mine. Hard to argue with free with an instant rebate!

Heck yeah!!! when you get it give us some pix, whats in the box, initial thoughts on hardware quality ... things like that. Congrats on the new phone!

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Heck yeah!!! when you get it give us some pix, whats in the box, initial thoughts on hardware quality ... things like that. Congrats on the new phone!

Will do. I will post a full breakdown.

Right now, what I am trying to find out is this. I know it ships with Bing Search and Bing Maps as the defaults for search and navigation. But can I download Google Search and Google Navigation from the Android Market and have it work?

Some say yes, some say no online.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Will do. I will post a full breakdown.

Right now, what I am trying to find out is this. I know it ships with Bing Search and Bing Maps as the defaults for search and navigation. But can I download Google Search and Google Navigation from the Android Market and have it work?

Some say yes, some say no online.

Without me actually having the phone I'd say look HERE and HERE

That's how they did it on the Samsung phones and i can only assume this would be similar. If it works you can "run and tell that" to the people who said it wouldn't work.

P.S. The "run and tell that" is an Antoine Dodson reference :p not be being an idiot .... although i will confess sometimes i am lol

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Looks promising. I am new to Android. I do have what will seem like a very dumb question.

What is the difference between Google Maps and Google Navigation?

jdoug

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Picked up this phone on Black Friday at Verizon. I love it so far, but it's my first smartphone so I have nothing to compare it to really. I agree that the screen is a tad smallish, but it has not become a problem to this point.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Picked up this phone on Black Friday at Verizon. I love it so far, but it's my first smartphone so I have nothing to compare it to really. I agree that the screen is a tad smallish, but it has not become a problem to this point.

I jumped to the optimus from an EVO (4.3 inch) and although i feel like the EVO is a great size for typing, i feel like it was tiny bit overkill for me in terms of stuff like browsing, daily usage, things like that. Because of swype, which i used to hate BTW, i can type pretty darn quick on this little screen.

All told i feel the screen size brings more positives than negatives for my lifestyle.

Congrats on the phone BTW. You picked an amazing phone and the best OS hands down to be your first smart phone :D

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Without me actually having the phone I'd say look HERE and HERE

That's how they did it on the Samsung phones and i can only assume this would be similar. If it works you can "run and tell that" to the people who said it wouldn't work.

P.S. The "run and tell that" is an Antoine Dodson reference :p not be being an idiot .... although i will confess sometimes i am lol

haha nerd....:p The first link is probably the easiest way to get it done. I was able to add a google search widget almost just like the standard android version after downloading the "Google Search" app.

I tried changing the hard key via the fascinate method, but no luck. I am hoping that a different .apk file from either an optimus S or a "community ROM" would help. of course, if someone else finds something first....

Last edited:

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Looks promising. I am new to Android. I do have what will seem like a very dumb question.

What is the difference between Google Maps and Google Navigation?

Google maps is just an overhead view like maps on your PC (with your location shown on the map). Navigation is route you to a location like a stand alone GPS. The acuracy is dependent on the GPS on the device you are using. It works pretty good on my Droid X and I don't have to pay for VZW Navigator. You should test it on routes you know to get used to it.

kat89447#AC

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Just got this for my teenage daughter. She got the violet one, but it's really a deep plum color so men will like it as well. Great phone and not just for a beginner. Hubby has a Droid 1, but this phone feels more friendly. Phone quality is great, both speaker and regular. Plays plenty of games as well as his Droid. Pictures are great, but there is no flash for those that need one. It seems to be more organized on how it does it's pages and the other little smart bar at the bottom. Keyboard is great and very accurate, I hate virtual keyboards but this one was easy to use. The phone is a nice size and a good weight, it feels like it is a good quality phone. The battery isn't bad and will probably get better as she quits playing with it constantly. We got this phone free on their 12 days special, we also took advantage of the "talk free" deal where she gets the 9.99 off the talk part of her pkg for 2 years. We got her the unlimited data because we just didn't want to have to worry about her usage and with the talk deal it evened out. I personally like LG over Motorolla phones, but that is my preference. If you want a great android phone that does more than the average user will ever need then this is a great phone. The web is fast, the same apps work on this phone as they do on the "Droids" but it does not have the "Droid" price. Droids are great, but this phone does everything that my daughter needs, or for that matter that we need as well at a great price. I highly recommend it.

cambrosio#AC

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded to this and it will be here Monday. It's my first android phone and from what I have read so far I made a good decision. Thanks to all that have posted in here their opinions.

Kyle9888

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This is my first smart phone, ive messed with the droid and the iphone. I actually really like this phone alot. I feel you need to root it to get its full potential but once you do its great. I used to have all keyboard phones (voyager and env) so i thought it was gonna be alittle awkward at first getting used to the keyboard touch screen, but i downloaded the app "better keyboard 8" and it made my life ALOT better. I HATE the default txt messaging app. I hate it not telling me the date and plus alot of facebook photos wouldnt load up for me in my contacts so I unstalled it and kept "handcent sms" and thats 100x better. One thing that kinda sucks is it doesnt have a flash but oh well cant complain its still a good phone. I'd definitely recommend it but make sure you root it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood