Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Customizing the home screen buttons

My friend has the Vortex and would like to know if there was a way to replace the default messaging icon that links to the stock Android messaging application with one for handcent sms... if so how does he do it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by msjablon View Post
    My friend has the Vortex and would like to know if there was a way to replace the default messaging icon that links to the stock Android messaging application with one for handcent sms... if so how does he do it...

Thanks
    So he wants the icon on his home page to be the green smiley bubble icon rather than the blue handcent icon? Just want to make sure i understand the question properly.

If it's that he wants a shortcut to handcent on his home screen he can long press on the stock messaging icon, drag it to the garbage can and that will remove the shortcut for stock off his screen. He can then long press any open space on the screen, select shortcut, then applications, then handcent. That puts a shortcut for handcent on the home screen but it's like a blue bubble thing not green.

If he's truly looking to replace the homescreen icon with the one from the stock sms app there are a couple of choices. The easiest of which would be to download a 3rd party launcher such as ADW, go launcher, launcher pro, which allows the option to replace icons.

There's another way to do it but is much more complicated and not for the weak of heart.
    [CENTER][URL="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KPSmith/posts"]Follow me on Google +

I grabbed Desktop Visualizer app which does exactly what you are speaking of. You tell it what app you want to run, pick any Icon that exists or one you may have downloaded, and it combines them.

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

you can go in to the application tray(middle button to see all apps) hit the menu button and then press move item. You can then take handcent and place it on top of the messaging app. And then your set the stock messaging app is off the bottom bar and handcent is in its place. You can rearange all the apps like that. Also you can create categories and put apps in different places instead of Applications and Downloads. I created a messaging category for KIK,Whatsapp and pingchat.

Hope this helps.