Using LG Watch Sport with T-Mobile

evelbug

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. How do I get the SIM though. I was told that they only issue the clone SIM for the wearables and the LG Sport has to be signed up as a voice line therefore I was told to download the app on the "device". Do I just tell them what I'm doing and they will send me a clone SIM no questions asked?

I never actually talked to anyone. Went to the digits page and filled out the online form. Selected one number on multiple devices, tmobile Android phone, no for Samsung phone. Once approved, they will send a new sim in the mail. Mine should be getting there today.

Attachments

• 1488981931065153415640.jpg
    1488981931065153415640.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 19

DFM725

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought the AT&T Version from Best Buy. I removed the AT&T Nano sim and inserted a T-Mobile Nano Sim. I am using a T-Mobile One line I got for free on Magenta Friday back in November.

AllI had to do was call them with the sim card # to activate the sim. Now the watch acts just like a phone.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I bought the AT&T Version from Best Buy. I removed the AT&T Nano sim and inserted a T-Mobile Nano Sim. I am using a T-Mobile One line I got for free on Magenta Friday back in November.

AllI had to do was call them with the sim card # to activate the sim. Now the watch acts just like a phone.
So this means the AT&T version at least, isn't locked. You put the watch on a smartphone plan. Most carriers have no problem doing that. The difficulty sometimes arises in getting them to put watches not sold by them, on a wearable plan which is just like a smartphone plan (talk, text, and data), but typically cheaper.

evelbug

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I got my digits sim in the mail yesterday. When I put it in, any calls made were showing up as the new number, not the primary number. It also wouldn't receive calls placed to my primary number. At the time, I had no power at my house, so I couldn't fool around too much with it. I put the original voice sim back in and I will mess around with it again tonight (assuming I have power by then)

DFM725

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So this means the AT&T version at least, isn't locked. You put the watch on a smartphone plan. Most carriers have no problem doing that. The difficulty sometimes arises in getting them to put watches not sold by them, on a wearable plan which is just like a smartphone plan (talk, text, and data), but typically cheaper.

Correct. I had no interest in paying them monthly. The wearable plans also have a limited amount of high speed data if I'm not mistaken (which I'm sure is more than enough). My goal was to get the free data or free talk/everything line on a smartwatch. I had 6 lines already before the free 2 lines promotion last year, and then just got the 3rd line free from the recent one. I wanted to make use of the free lines I have (and many others have sitting on their plans) without having to pay for the wearable Gear S3.

evelbug

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I got my digits sim in the mail yesterday. When I put it in, any calls made were showing up as the new number, not the primary number. It also wouldn't receive calls placed to my primary number. At the time, I had no power at my house, so I couldn't fool around too much with it. I put the original voice sim back in and I will mess around with it again tonight (assuming I have power by then)

After putting the digits sim back in, the watch appears to be working fine. It must have been either the power or I didn't give it enough time

VidMan56

Mar 11, 2017
Visit site
Just a heads up, T-Mobile is currently having issues with devices on duplicate DIGITS SIMs not ringing when called. I've had intermittent issues with about 3/10 calls not ringing the watch.

Also, a nice surprise, I discovered that the watch places calls over VoLTE! The watch will stay on LTE when making or receiving a call and supports the HD Voice codec for higher quality calls.

evelbug

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Just a heads up, T-Mobile is currently having issues with devices on duplicate DIGITS SIMs not ringing when called. I've had intermittent issues with about 3/10 calls not ringing the watch.

Also, a nice surprise, I discovered that the watch places calls over VoLTE! The watch will stay on LTE when making or receiving a call and supports the HD Voice codec for higher quality calls.

I've been having this issue also. I went into the cellular settings and change the displayed number to my primary number and I seem to be receiving calls again.

mihelog

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
Folks, after the third call about this, I finally found someone in tech support who knew exactly what to do.

The issue is exactly that the network rejects wearable devices that T mobile didn't sell on a wearable line.

The technician converted my line to a tablet (data only) and had me reboot. That let the watch join the network. However, that was data only. Then he had me turn it off, he converted the line back to wearable, and now it works beautifully with data and calls. Problem solved!

I could clarify: that was for LG Urbane 2 LTE on T-mobile's network.

evelbug

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Folks, after the third call about this, I finally found someone in tech support who knew exactly what to do.

The issue is exactly that the network rejects wearable devices that T mobile didn't sell on a wearable line.

The technician converted my line to a tablet (data only) and had me reboot. That let the watch join the network. However, that was data only. Then he had me turn it off, he converted the line back to wearable, and now it works beautifully with data and calls. Problem solved!

I could clarify: that was for LG Urbane 2 LTE on T-mobile's network.

Hopefully this is going to work for you long term and not be something that the network catches up on and eventually rejects your device. I just wish T-mobile would be a little more un-carrier about this and open it up to non t-mobile branded devices.

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am also on the T-Mobile DIGITS beta right before it closed. The rep helped me set it up on the signup page as a Gear S3 and I entered the ICCID of an unactivated SIM card I picked up from my local T-Mobile store, and I got a duplicate line set up on it.

Not sure if the DIGITS line a 'wearable' line or a 'regular smartphone' line, but since it took a few days for the unactivated SIM to get set up, I tested it with a 'regular smartphone' line's SIM card in the watch and it worked perfectly.

Now that the duplicate line is in and I've checked off that the device shares the same number as my phone, both rings on its own with no connectivity to each other (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned off), or when they're paired and connected. It's a beautiful thing.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I am also on the T-Mobile DIGITS beta right before it closed.

Oh My! I have been waiting for the Blue Sport model to come back in stock in the Google Store and was planning on using DIGITS on Tmo. Any insight on options with Tmo now that the beta is closed?

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh My! I have been waiting for the Blue Sport model to come back in stock in the Google Store and was planning on using DIGITS on Tmo. Any insight on options with Tmo now that the beta is closed?

They stopped taking any more new beta signups on March 25th. The dedicated DIGITS support reps I spoke to believe that it will be ready for public consumption within 1-2 months at most, complete with pricing and all.

DaDoc04

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

You actually could've signed up without the device in hand. That way you would've been locked in. Might have to just watch the sign up page like a hawk in case they open it back up or wait for the official pricing announcement.

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You actually could've signed up without the device in hand. That way you would've been locked in. Might have to just watch the sign up page like a hawk in case they open it back up or wait for the official pricing announcement.

Correct, since the Samsung Gear S3 (one of the options for the DIGITS signup) has an embedded SIM and therefore its own ICCID, I just entered the ICCID of any unactivated T-Mobile SIM card and I was registered to use that in the Watch Sport.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the replies.....wish I would have thought about that! I snoozed and lost!