LG Urbane 2 LTE + GhostRacer = Perfect Running Device!

smatofu

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Since I started to run a few times per week 10 years ago, I was always looking for a good running device(s). It had to measure time (of course; which is not obvious to many developers), show distance, pace, play music, preferably over BT headphones, store my runs online, and allow me to call home in case of rain or emergency. Before Urbane, I was using MS Band and a phone for music and emergency calls. I never liked taking phone on my runs because I was wearing too much gear.

Then I bought LG Urbane 2 LTE: perfect hardware, but, out of the box, not much for running . I have checked many popular running apps on the watch. Nothing worked well. They either don't work on the watch standalone, or have a tiny display font, low-contrast colors, or crash... It is like those software designers/developers never actually use their apps for outdoor running.

And then I found GhostRacer. Revelation!

GhostRacer is a beauty:
- works with the LG Urbane 2 LTE in a standalone mode, no phone needed, GPS works,
- BIG white-on-black font, easy to read when running,
- configurable metrics,
- configurable always-on, dim, or screen off,
- syncs with RunKeeper,
- competing against your previous runs,
- and other great features.

GPS:
- I use Wear GPS to make sure I have a GPS lock before starting GR,
- I have to take the watch off for a minute and hold it by the clasp to get a GPS lock.

I am very happy with my Urbane. It is great for everything I need: notifications when indoors, running, and emergency phone calls. I usually have cellular off and the battery life is 2-3 days. 1h 30mins running with GPS, display on, and BT musics uses 50% of the battery. Fantastic results!

S.

Last edited:

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Very cool! Looking forward to giving it a try! Glad it works with Runkeeper as well, since I have all of my info going through Runkeeper and Google Fit. Hoping at some point Runkeeper will work completly standalone, but if this app will interface, I'm happy for now. Thank you for the info, I'll let you know if it works out for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Since I started to run a few times per week 10 years ago, I was always looking for a good running device(s). It had to measure time (of course; which is not obvious to many developers), show distance, pace, play music, preferably over BT headphones, store my runs online, and allow me to call home in case of rain or emergency. Before Urbane, I was using MS Band and a phone for music and emergency calls. I never liked taking phone on my runs because I was wearing too much gear.

Then I bought LG Urbane 2 LTE: perfect hardware, but, out of the box, not much for running . I have checked many popular running apps on the watch. Nothing worked well. They either don't work on the watch standalone, or have a tiny display font, low-contrast colors, or crash... It is like those software designers/developers never actually use their apps for outdoor running.

And then I found GhostRacer. Revelation!

GhostRacer is a beauty:
- works with the LG Urbane 2 LTE in a standalone mode, no phone needed, GPS works,
- BIG white-on-black font, easy to read when running,
- configurable metrics,
- configurable always-on, dim, or screen off,
- syncs with RunKeeper,
- competing against your previous runs,
- and other great features.

GPS:
- I have to take the watch off for a minute and hold it by the clasp to get a GPS lock.

I am very happy with my Urbane. It is great for everything I need: notifications when indoors, running, and emergency phone calls. I usually have cellular off and the battery life is 2-3 days. 1h 30mins running with GPS, display on, and BT musics uses 50% of the battery. Fantastic results!

S.

Glad you posted this here as well, as I passed on your tips on another thread. This totally did the trick for me. The guy/gal who created Wear GPS saved this watch for me.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
GPS:

If you have cell data enabled, you don't have to do any of that. I have no problem get a GPS lock quickly (as fast as my phone) inside a car while driving using Google Maps standalone.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site

Yes that is the one and it worked for me also. I was preparing to return the watch or sell it on Monday but now I'm leaning towards keeping it. I was never able to get data service with an activated SIM on Ting or H20 because I haven't found a way to edit the APN settings. The GPS would never lock even after waiting 30 minutes. With Wear GPS I can now get a lock and track runs and still have an emergency phone handy. I turned off Bluetooth on the phone and turned off Wi-Fi on the watch. After I started Wear GPS on the watch I received a lock in about 15 seconds. I was then able to get a lock using Ghostracer, Endomondo and Runkeeper. After syncing to the phone the maps from those apps after test runs had the correct location.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781