True cost on AT&T

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I am curious what kind of fees and taxes get added in addition to the $10 on AT&T?

My other lines have over $6 in taxes and fees. If it is quite a bit lower than that, then I will probably buy on contract and the contract savings will help soften the monthly cost. Otherwise I will buy outright and look for other service options. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! That looks about the same as any normal line. Definitely not worth $16 for my limited use.

I will have to find a decent prepaid option. I have a good pay as you go SIM from Lycamobile, but I don't think that they offer the option any more so not sure if I can recharge it. Also waiting for them to resolve an issue that I can't receive calls. GoPhone pay as you go rates might work for me if there is no minimum.

Do you have any idea how much mobile data it uses per disconnected time?

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Truphone sim for mine, because @mdw1995 managed to make the APN settings work on their watch. Some of the other prepaid carriers here don't push their APN settings correctly, and as of right now, they can't be edited by the user in AW. I also tried two European sims in Europe which worked out of the box, so it's definitely carrier dependent.

The Truphone sim works and is a real pay as you go option, ... Very cheap for infrequent use.

I also have a T-mo wearables plan that is $5/ month, but they never managed to make it work with my LG watch.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
That sounds like a good option and fair price. I didn't realize some don't work. Truphone is AT&T MVNO in US so probably why it works. Lycamobile is on TMo.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
It uses very little data. I probably use 100-150mb a month on the watch. It's only for emails and texts and GPS related things for when I run with it. Not much heavy data there... But man is it great to be able to go for a run, or do errands, or take the dog for a walk, and have gps, read/respond to emails and texts, make phone calls if needed and even use Google maps! Worth the $16 for me!

Samsung S6 Edge+ w/ Urbane 2 & Moto 360 2

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
That sounds like a good option and fair price. I didn't realize some don't work. Truphone is AT&T MVNO in US so probably why it works. Lycamobile is on TMo.

I would try the lycamobile sim first, as it may work. My cell phone's T-mo sim works without a problem, I just think that some MVNOs cheap out on how they push the APN settings, at times requiring you to go into the settings and update them manually. I think H2O does not push APN settings correctly either.

This only affects data, btw. All this would be a non issue if Google let users update the settings in AW :(

peterfares

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Jeez it is impossible to get a correct answer out of AT&T on this! I spent an hour earlier this morning researching this. Should have just come here.

This confirms that the watch will cost $15/month, not $10. The chat rep when I was ordering said all the fees were included in $10 and my activation fee would be waived for my FAN but that was obviously a lie too.

Realistically over 2 years this watch will cost
$200 + $15 sales tax + $45 activation + $15.50*24

= $632.

I think I'm going to cancel my order and just purchase it outright for ~$380 after tax. I think a Truphone SIM will be a good solution and since I'll be using the watch without the phone very little, that Truphone credit should last a very long time.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Lycamobile mobile definitely didn't push or have anything set on the SIM. I had to manually create the APN on my Omate TrueSmart and Nexus 5.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
......I think I'm going to cancel my order and just purchase it outright for ~$380 after tax. I think a Truphone SIM will be a good solution and since I'll be using the watch without the phone very little, that Truphone credit should last a very long time.

I tried Ting(t mobile) and H20(AT&T) and could not get data to work for either. I'm not an AT&T customer so I had to find an alternative. I've been using Truphone since January and it works great for my purposes. I only use cellular service on the watch when I'm running so I can pair with my phone that I leave in the car. It uses between 1-3MB each time I run depending on texts or notifications I receive during the run. I've used Endomondo and Ghostracer mainly to track runs. Truphone is 9 cents per MB or $9 for every 100MB. In February it cost me under $3 but I don't use the watch for browsing the web or checking emails etc when I'm not paired through BT. Data could add up quickly depending on how you use it. Of course using Truphone may still depend on the SIM being unlocked. Hopefully the 'new' version of the watch will be unlocked.

peterfares

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I tried Ting(t mobile) and H20(AT&T) and could not get data to work for either. I'm not an AT&T customer so I had to find an alternative. I've been using Truphone since January and it works great for my purposes. I only use cellular service on the watch when I'm running so I can pair with my phone that I leave in the car. It uses between 1-3MB each time I run depending on texts or notifications I receive during the run. I've used Endomondo and Ghostracer mainly to track runs. Truphone is 9 cents per MB or $9 for every 100MB. In February it cost me under $3 but I don't use the watch for browsing the web or checking emails etc when I'm not paired through BT. Data could add up quickly depending on how you use it. Of course using Truphone may still depend on the SIM being unlocked. Hopefully the 'new' version of the watch will be unlocked.

Sounds just like my use-case. I don't think it'll matter if it's unlocked or not. AT&T will unlock devices when purchased for full price, you just submit an online request form. I can go a few days without service while I wait for an unlock code. I have already canceled my order and will just buy one at the physical store when they're out, hopefully next week. Might even go pick one up from Best Buy since I have some reward certificates and gift cards.

I would've been willing to pay AT&T for service if it was $10 after fees and didn't have a ridiculous activation fee. The activation/upgrade fee is $45 no matter what. It's total bull**** just tell me the watch costs $245 instead of saying $200 with a $45 activation fee when purchased in the only way that'll make it cost "$200". AT&T really needs to re-think their wearable pricing. $10+$5 in fees is just too much for a wearable. Verizon and T-Mobile charge $5 and probably have something like $4 in fees to make it $9. I'd pay that.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Sounds just like my use-case. I don't think it'll matter if it's unlocked or not. AT&T will unlock devices when purchased for full price, you just submit an online request form. I can go a few days without service while I wait for an unlock code. I have already canceled my order and will just buy one at the physical store when they're out, hopefully next week. Might even go pick one up from Best Buy since I have some reward certificates and gift cards.

I would've been willing to pay AT&T for service if it was $10 after fees and didn't have a ridiculous activation fee. The activation/upgrade fee is $45 no matter what. It's total bull**** just tell me the watch costs $245 instead of saying $200 with a $45 activation fee when purchased in the only way that'll make it cost "$200". AT&T really needs to re-think their wearable pricing. $10+$5 in fees is just too much for a wearable. Verizon and T-Mobile charge $5 and probably have something like $4 in fees to make it $9. I'd pay that.

Yeah, I was surprised how much the fees actually were, total BS in my opinion. But it's setup just like you are adding another phone to the plan, which is kind of annoying... However, I did buy mine outright, at the original $300 price which allows me to switch on/off my plan for it whenever I would want too. So if I am not using the data or just don't want to fork of the $15 extra that month I can just turn that off and not pay it. Even without data this watch is definitely worth $300, especially compared to the Moto 360 or even the Huawei watch.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad that is back. I don't care too much for LTE data and at $300, still cheaper then the others. I want a full round watch and the Huawei fit the bill but it's pricey. This one is $100 less.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm glad that is back. I don't care too much for LTE data and at $300, still cheaper then the others. I want a full round watch and the Huawei fit the bill but it's pricey. This one is $100 less.

I believe the full, off contract, price for the re-release of the LG watch is $360.

lvmymoto

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I believe the full, off contract, price for the re-release of the LG watch is $360.

When it came out in November it was priced at $300, but you are correct, they raised the off contract price to $360. Annoying. But still a damn good watch and more functionality (whether you use it or not) than most other watches, including the even more expensive Huawei...

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Huawei watch is nice but not a watch you can leave on all the time since it's AMOLED and burn in will happen. Battery life was decent but I couldnt get a full day out of if so hopefully with the Urbane 2, it will last longer.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Huawei watch is nice but not a watch you can leave on all the time since it's AMOLED and burn in will happen. Battery life was decent but I couldnt get a full day out of if so hopefully with the Urbane 2, it will last longer.
It most certainly will, if it's like the November version. My battery died only once in all these months, while with the Gear S, I constantly had a dead battery and useless watch on my wrist.

And the one time was a fluke when something was running in the background draining power.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae