VZW messages+ with ATT LG Watch Urbane 2nd Edtiion

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to @jaycemiskel for bringing up this question.

I posted something similar in another forum but I thought I would also post this here also for people wondering how to get VZW message+ to work with an ATT LG urbane 2nd edition. So it sorta works like how I think Numbersync should work on ATT. I've never used Numbersync so I can't verify.

Basically this enables you to receive/answer phone calls from a VZW smartphone number to your ATT LG Watch Urbane 2nd edition.

What you need:

1.A VZW Smartphone that has Advanced Voice capabilities like the S6, Note 5 etc. You also will need to activate HD Voice if available for your plan and smartphone. Please see your device instructions to show you how to do that.
2.ATT LG urbane 2nd edition with some kind of data plan that works with GSM wearables or you can use wifi. I have a tmobile plan. FYI- ATT corporate sims might give you problems.
3.Message+ app. It should be preinstalled in your VZW branded smartphone. If you disabled it, just like me then re-enabled it.

Note: It appears that message + is only needed for the intial set up to activate the calling feature on the LG 2nd edition with a VZW account. You do not have to use it as your default messaging app after the initial set up. You can disable it if you like but I suggest using Google Messenger since it's a fully supported Android Wear messaging app and it's already on your LG 2nd edition.

Directions

1.On your VZW smartphone, subscribe to Integrated Messaging Features by going into the messages+ app and settings. If its the first time you used this app, it may prompt you. Integrated Messaging should be included in your smartphone plan but please check just in case.
2.After that, go to your LG watch Urbane 2nd edition and go to the app drawer.
3.Check to see if Messages+ and "Calling Setup" is visible in your LG Watch app drawer. If not, you might need to go to the Android Wear app and resync your apps.
4.Press Calling Setup app. It should ask you a few things like it will check to see if your Smartphone is capable of Advanced calling . It might take a bit. Reboots of the LG watch might be necessary to speed things up.
5.Once it detects and confirms that Calling features are active, then it will ask to see if the E911 address is working. If it gives the address where you are, then it's working.
6.Hit next or Ok. (I forget)
7.Then you should be able to make phone calls from your smartphone number even if you are away and not connected to your VZW smartphone.
Note: Call forwarding if available on your phone is less of a battery hog so that might be a better option for you.

Hope that helps.

If you have issues, please see the thread below to maybe get some answers

.http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-watch-urbane-2nd-edition/671962-help-getting-text-message-notifications-3.html

Note: Per the Verizon site. Here is what you need to use the calling feature of the Messages+ app.

Who's eligible to use the Calling feature in the Verizon Messages app?

To be eligible for Calling in Verizon Messages, you need to:
Be on a standard monthly plan*
Have an HD Voice-capable phone
Have the HD Voice feature on your account and activated
To learn more about HD Voice visit our HD Voice page.

Note: If you have any features that are incompatible with HD Voice, you'll need to remove them when you add the HD Voice feature to your account. Learn more about which features you need to remove.

* Prepaid accounts aren't eligible for HD Voice at this time

Last edited:

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Just to add, your smartphone doesn't need to be on to call or send text from your VZW number. Which is great if your smartphone dies.

A quirk and limitation I found when I have this feature turned on is that your smartphone will show a missed call when you answer the call from the watch. You'll get that notification on the watch so that's a little annoying. Also, the messaging app on the smartwatch doesn't seem to delete messages directly from the watch. I thought it did but I guess I was dreaming.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
This is perfect because with my Verizon watch, if my phone is off, it won't ever send the text message, which is weird.

That probably means your integrating messaging subscription isn't turned on on the messaging app and your smartwatch isn't configured to work yet. If you don't enable it correctly, even the ATT watch will not let you receive text or send text with your VZW number.

Also, make sure your phone is capable of Advance calling or HD voice feature. I know not all 4g devices are capable of doing this and it might throw a wrench in your plans.

I've updated the directions above to include that with what you need.

Last edited:

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I saw your other post on the other thread and I wanted to clarify something. You said something about wanting another number just in case your smartphone dies.

You do not necessarily need another number to use the messages+ app because it uses your current VZW number from your smartphone. Ideally, if you want one number to create a number sync type deal, you just need a plan that's data only. However, I'm not sure if any carriers will allow wearable devices on a data only plan since those are mainly used for hotspots and tablets.

Last edited:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the S7 edge and I have advanced calling enabled. It works perfectly fine for using my number whether the device is on or not, but for some reason the messages don't go through when my device is off. I have integrated messaging enabled as well. Maybe something is wrong with my watch. If I could get that to work even when the phone is dead, then I'd be cool with just one number

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Ok tried it again and it didn't work with my phone off. Calling works with the phone off but not messaging. My bad. So good news is it seems there's nothing wrong with your watch but the bad news is that there might be something wrong with both of our watches. hahahaha.

Hopefully an update to the messaging app will allow for messaging to work without the phone being on as well.

Just to add, one thing I found is that sometimes to get voice calling active on your smartwatch, you have to always validate your E911 address by going into the Calling Setup app on your watch. Sometimes if you don't do that, the voice calling feature doesn't work at all.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Lol ok cool, guess I'll stop trying to troubleshoot now. I guess the message plus app needs an update before it begins to work. I went into manage devices and it shows the watch and only a phone that's blue. The message bubble is gray indicating that it can't work with messages. Well I think the AT&T watch is definitely the better deal now. I want to be able to send texts in case my phone dies. I usually keep it charged, but just want the option. Plus when Verizon updates it to where the smartphone app can send messages whether the phone is on or not, I'll still be able to do that. I appreciate all your help man

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately I believe so. It has to be your default messaging app. It's actually not bad but I like Google messenger a lot better.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the calling part works whether it's your primary message app or not. And it doesn't send messages while your phone is off anyway so you might be able to get away with just using another messaging app.

KOAO

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Messages+ was in the Advanced Permissions with everything like storage and contacts disabled. I reenabled them but no dice. I tried restarting my watch but again nothing.

Edit: Had to reboot my device twice for some reason. I can't actually open messages+ on my watch and when I do the calling setup, I can't press the check mark to go next.

Edit 2:: So I had to try and make a call from the watch for the Calling setup to go to the next step. I'm now stuck on E911. It gives me a big red X telling me that location update failed and to try again later.

Edit 3: So after messing with it a little more I got passed it, now when I try to make a call it tells me that its connecting to the server and to try again later.

Last edited:

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I actually had an issue where I had to factory reset my watch last night. So I had to reset up my messages+. I actually experienced what you went through with Messages+ not showing up and having trouble with setting up e911.

Not sure what I did to make it all work again but this is all the things I made sure I did.

I fixed all the permissions with messaging + (just like you)
Turned my accounts on under advanced cellular and turned on calls and messages under watch shares phone number option.
Made sure my phone's messaging + app recognized my phone.
I clicked on the calling setup feature. then it got stuck and I got network not avaiable blah blah blah.
Reboot- Got to the GPS part. And it failed validating my location. Tried a couple of times
Then I rebooted- tried again and it worked.
Rebooted and I received a message saying voice calling activated then it's cool.

Working again.

Just to note, I have no LTE coverage with Verizon or Tmobile where I live. Everything I did was through wifi data. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

So try all of those things. Rebooting from time to time seems to work.

KOAO

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I have calls working, but I can't get my watch to recieve texts when tethered to bluetooth on my phone. I did the audio on watch in bluetooth, but now it doesn't show up as an audio source on my phone and my watch doesn't have the option anymore. its disappeared.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
When you use messages+ you won't have the option anymore to play phone audio on watch. It automatically defaults to Bluetooth. As for messages notifications I don't remember if I got notifications. I know I receive them and are able to text but I'm not sure if I ever got notifications.

KOAO

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I meant that's how you get messages to work on the watch. You would select the option to play phone audio on watch. It worked sometimes but now it stopped working. I don't know if its a Android Wear issue or just this watch but that was the quintessential reason that I upgraded to the LTE Urbane, i thought I would receive texts and notifications through BT as well as standalone. Maybe I am doing something wrong though.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Play Phone audio option is only for phone calls. Nothing to do with text messages. You don't have to that option for text messages. But if your Verizon Message+ is also capable of text message, you certainly don't want to use both. There can only be one text message app on the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781