New problem: How do i add this to google play??

starcat42

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
i cant beleive how stupidly hard companies make the things that should be easiest to do.

I cant download any apps from the store, because it says i dont have any android devices and i dont see a way to add it. i click on device manager and it showes me a map of the country, and nothing.

and importante note i am using Ipad, not android phone

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
You are going to be extremely disappointed but you can't download 3rd party google play apps to use with your Android Wear device. There's a few youtube videos about the functionality of an Android wear device using an IOS device. Spoiler alert: it's not much. Maybe notifications but you can't even use it to answer text messages from Imessages.

If you don't have an Android device to pair it with, I don't think you should keep this LG watch. It's not worth it, IMO.

Oh on your other thread, one person linked you to an article that shows what AW watches can do with IOS devices.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Cross platform is a dream that usually don't pan out. Apple Watch can only work with iPhone. AW watches work best with an Android phone. Even though Google create this AW app for iOS, the functionality gotta be limited. For one thing, Apple will never tolerate any app that brings in another app market other than the iTune app market. That's just not going to happen. Without Apple's blessing, Google really can't do anything even if it wants to.

Same goes for Samsung Tizen based watches. They are best work with Samsung phones. Even though Samsung tried to widen the support with Gear S2 that supports non-Samsung phones. Reports are there are a lot of problems with non-Samsung phones.

json405

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
so basically i should buy a junk android device?

You can but if you plan to use your iPhone/ipad as your primary device with the LG watch urbane it will still be limited.

What are your expectations with the watch or how did you plan to use the LG watch?

I just don't want you throwing away more money than you should.

salbfit

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here!
I got my watch today! As primary phone I have an Iphone 6.
I want to use the device mostly for my runs while listening to music and being "reachable" by phone without having to carry my phone with me.
Android Wear on iOS works fine and you can download and change watch-faces directly from the app.
The only thing I don't know how to do is how to download 3rd-party-apps such as Runtastic or Strava or even typical Google-Apps like Ghostracer.
I used to have an android phone some time ago and my play store shows the apps I bought and downloaded. But not the new device (LG Urbane LTE) to transfer to.

Do I really have to do what starcat42 writes and buy a junc android device on ebay just to transfer the apps I need?
Or is there another solution?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
There's no other solution. Android wear basically installs the apps of the phone to which it's connected. So with no android device to connect it to, you're not gonna be able to install apps.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Or you can just get a prepaid cheapo, not activate it, and leave it at home connected to wifi when you are out and about, so that way the watch can connect to it. Not sure what version of Android supports Android Wear, but I'd reseach that first (there are some ancient prepaid devices out there).

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it only me or does anybody else see the ludicrousness of buying a smartphone solely to be able to use a smartwatch?

Not passing judgment on the members here, just amazed that this would be necessary. I hope the watch manufacturers start getting it right soon...

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Technology (both hardware and software) is not there yet for a sensible standalone smart watch.

Android Wear is not a standalone.
All apps that install on the watch require the app be encapsulated into a phone or tablet app.
That app then installs the phone app.
There is no playstore that runs on the watch.

starcat42

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
you can get a pretty decent google phone for like 10 - 20 bucks at walmart its a prepaid but even straight out of the box it works about as well as an iphone

starcat42

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
i dont have a primary device, thats what the watch was SUPPOSEd to be for. but now i'd be happy just to run google maps and skype / ok google.

J1010Miami

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
So what happens when you are able to download the apps into the watch, can you use them stand alone?
I mean the running apps, can they be used if the Nexus 4 is off? I guess you can just sync with it once in a while and stay synced with you iphone all the time for calls and text notifications?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You can only connect to one phone at anytime. Switch phones will require factory reset which removes any downloaded apps. If you have an iPhone, I'd strongly recommend Apple Watch.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
So what happens when you are able to download the apps into the watch, can you use them stand alone?
I mean the running apps, can they be used if the Nexus 4 is off? I guess you can just sync with it once in a while and stay synced with you iphone all the time for calls and text notifications?
Honestly, if I was an iPhone using runner, I'd still get this watch but leave it connected to an Android phone. You may not need this step once AW2 is being released, but for now you need the Android phone so you can install apps on it.

It's so cool to have Endomondo (in my case) tracking your run, stream music over BT, and still be available for calls/texts (with Truephone, the cost is that of a cup of coffee per month if that), all without schlepping your phone with you, especially in this crazy humid heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax