Which sim cards work / what plans FOR DATA are working?

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
How did you guys get AT&T to unlock the watch? Before I purchased, I saw here that there were people using it on other networks. I called AT&T and asked if they would unlock it if I pay full price, and they said they would immediately do so. I purchased, went to the website they referenced me to att.com/deviceunlock, and was told since I'm not an AT&T customer, to enter the IMEI.

I did that, and it said the IMEI wasn't recognized. I called support and was told that they"do not network unlock wearables," regardless of what the previous rep told me. They even read a formal policy they had on what they can and can't unlock, and sure enough wearables were on that list. Speaking to a supervisor didn't change the outcome.

Posted via the Android Central App

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
How did you guys get AT&T to unlock the watch? Before I purchased, I saw here that there were people using it on other networks. I called AT&T and asked if they would unlock it if I pay full price, and they said they would immediately do so. I purchased, went to the website they referenced me to att.com/deviceunlock, and was told since I'm not an AT&T customer, to enter the IMEI.

I did that, and it said the IMEI wasn't recognized. I called support and was told that they"do not network unlock wearables," regardless of what the previous rep told me. They even read a formal policy they had on what they can and can't unlock, and sure enough wearables were on that list. Speaking to a supervisor didn't change the outcome.

The watch was never locked to begin with. I didn't have to do anything to unlock it. I just paid full retail and inserted my SIM from another provider.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Why not? I just switched to one - haven't tried it yet, but they're charging me $5 a month.

More than likely when you attempt to use a t-mobile wearable SIM it will not work. People have tried but the device is not an "approved" wearable device for this plan. Regular t-mobile SIMs work. I think one or two people have been lucky and found an "engineer" that could successfully add this device, but most haven't.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
More than likely when you attempt to use a t-mobile wearable SIM it will not work. People have tried but the device is not an "approved" wearable device for this plan. Regular t-mobile SIMs work. I think one or two people have been lucky and found an "engineer" that could successfully add this device, but most haven't.

Thanks. I'll let you know if I get it to work.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Quick update. I first purchased the wearable sim from T-Mobile and set up the plan. Then I called T-Mobile customer support and asked them to add the IMEI of the watch to their system. They seemed to understand it was for the sim and successfully added it (theoretically).

I inserted the sim into the watch, got network, everything looked good, and then I received a text message from T-Mobile saying "Free T-Mobile MSG: The SIM for your wearable device is in an ineligible device. Services to the SIM are blocked until it is returned to your eligible wearable device."

I'll call them again and keep you posted.

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Quick update. I first purchased the wearable sim from T-Mobile and set up the plan. Then I called T-Mobile customer support and asked them to add the IMEI of the watch to their system. They seemed to understand it was for the sim and successfully added it (theoretically).

I inserted the sim into the watch, got network, everything looked good, and then I received a text message from T-Mobile saying "Free T-Mobile MSG: The SIM for your wearable device is in an ineligible device. Services to the SIM are blocked until it is returned to your eligible wearable device."

I'll call them again and keep you posted.

Good luck. I've been down that road.
I now have a $3 per month, pay as you go plan.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Truphone is definitely the way to go unless you plan on streaming music when that is available with wear 2.0 at which point adding to your plan probably makes sense.

justppc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Correct, I ended up adding a 'wearables' line to my account from T-mobile. The sim was disabled shortly after I put it in the AT&T version of the LTE Urbane that I have. CS rep told me that their system disables the wearable sim if it is not in a T-mobile version of the Gear or Gear S2. So I am back on my regular mobile phone service $10 add on.

mdw1995

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Truphone is definitely the way to go unless you plan on streaming music when that is available with wear 2.0 at which point adding to your plan probably makes sense.

This has been confirmed before but first time I was able to test it.... The ATT version works overseas and so does the Truphone SIM 😀. I'm visiting family in France currently. I was able to get the SIM working and paired it to the phone, which was connected to data by Wi-Fi, then took off and accurately tracked a run with GPS using Ghostracer. Pretty sweet.

glenner05

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
For all European users; I just ordered and received it on amazon.de (European version w200e)
Completely simlock free and without data plan or contract. Is 3g only, no lte bands. But works flawless in here (belgium). Takes any nanosim...

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
For all European users; I just ordered and received it on amazon.de (European version w200e)
Completely simlock free and without data plan or contract. Is 3g only, no lte bands. But works flawless in here (belgium). Takes any nanosim...

Sounds like it may be identical in bands, then. I used mine in Europe last winter and only got 3G as well. Glad the watch finally made it to other countries than just the US!

justppc

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Can confirm Truphone works well in Los Angeles & Orange Counties in Southern California. I had to call to finish activating my Truphone SIM, but coverage has been the same as it was with the T-Mobile Sim card I had been using. Also, no issue with Truphone's voicemail picking up before Google Voice's voicemail unlike what had been reported on Howard Forums. So far I have just gotten HSPA+ at the best in regards to signal, which is fine for my use case. I have the AT&T version of the watch and never noticed LTE with T-Mobile either in Southern California. Did get T-Mobile LTE coverage in parts of GA & SC though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20