Anyone coming from a Asus Zenwatch

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered my Urbane last night and was wondering about the new device. How is it compared to the Zen watch? I know I am going to be an early adopter to the Urbane but, wanted to compare it against the Zen watch that I currently have.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I just ordered my Urbane last night and was wondering about the new device. How is it compared to the Zen watch? I know I am going to be an early adopter to the Urbane but, wanted to compare it against the Zen watch that I currently have.

Biggest difference, besides the look and feel, is going to be the display. P-OLED is really good.

L_E_O

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
How's your battery Phil? I still feel like my ZenWatch has had the most consistently good battery across all the wear devices. Seems like the Urbane just received it's 2nd or 3rd update, but my battery with it has been abysmal so far (8-10 hours, screen off).

Update: After a second full reset (after the last OTA update), seems like things are back to what expected. I was only down about 40% after a pretty heavy usage 11 hr work day. Is probably been said before, but I'm beginning to think a full reset is a good idea anytime a version upgrade takes place.

Last edited:

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
How's your battery Phil? I still feel like my ZenWatch has had the most consistently good battery across all the wear devices. Seems like the Urbane just received it's 2nd or 3rd update, but my battery with it has been abysmal so far (8-10 hours, screen off).

Oh no...Sounds like its on par with the Moto 360. I was hoping that it was just as good as the Asus.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Which watch face are you using? There are some watch faces I have that just drain battery like crazy. I have not found one that I love and also gives me great battery life, but the one I am currently using can last me all day (16 -18 hours) with screen off and I get lots notification everyday. I would say at least over a hundred as it's tie to my work email.

L_E_O

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I've used several of the included watch faces, but have such with Castle White as my main. See my update above though. After my 2nd full reset, the battery seems to be performing as advertised. Today, with screen always on, I went from 7:30 AM till about 6:30 PM and was only down to about 63%. That's much better!

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

Attachments

• 6668.jpg
    6668.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 26

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
If you're looking for a watch face, I recommend Zodiac. It has a ton of customization options, including colors for dim mode (and yes, you can turn the zodiac symbols off). I've been using it on my G Watch R for several days now and battery has been great. I like it a lot.

The picture is in dim mode, by the way.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pps/details?id=com.stmp.zodiac&token=FLiNsYhl

That watchface looks very nice. A little off topic, but I have noticed in yours and other's pictures that the watchface doesn't extend to the edge of the display. In the Moto 360 pictures of this watchface on the Play Store it does. Is this a limitation of the display on the Urbane and G Watch R? If so, this makes the usable display even smaller.

ryaninc

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
It DOES extend to the edges, but only in bright mode. The G Watch R and Urbane are AMOLED screens, which are susceptible to burn in. So both LG watches do an auto movement thing when the screen is "asleep." The face moves slightly around the circle, leaving tiny gaps at the side/top/bottom. You can watch it happen if you stare long enough, it moves every two minutes or so.

But when you tap it or tilt it to wake the screen, it centers and goes total full screen. It's a little distracting when you look closely, but it prevents burn in, so I'm okay with it.

Here's a picture if it in "active" mode:

Attachments

• 6683.jpg
    6683.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 24

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
It DOES extend to the edges, but only in bright mode. The G Watch R and Urbane are AMOLED screens, which are susceptible to burn in. So both LG watches do an auto movement thing when the screen is "asleep." The face moves slightly around the circle, leaving tiny gaps at the side/top/bottom. You can watch it happen if you stare long enough, it moves every two minutes or so.

But when you tap it or tilt it to wake the screen, it centers and goes total full screen. It's a little distracting when you look closely, but it prevents burn in, so I'm okay with it.

Here's a picture if it in "active" mode:

Thanks, the image shift to prevent burn in makes sense, although it still looks like the two images you posted are the same size to me. Specifically, the 10 minute marker lines of the display look like they're the same distance from the 10 minute markers on the bezel.

I really need to find a store with them in stock to see for myself. Someone mentioned that he picked one up from a corporate Verizon store, so I'll try to find one nearby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton