Lubuntu 11.10 / NVidia Geforce 5200 issues // Startup Commands

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Spent HOURS searching with no solutions.

Running Lubuntu 11.10, and it's nice, but the GUI and Flash video are laggy, presumably because I am not running the NVidia drivers for my card. When I install them, I am stuck in a 640x480 resolution.

The nvidia-settings panel says some error about scanout.

When trying to add a mode by hand using xrandr, I get an error about not being able to find gamma settings with every command I issue (""xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default") and when I go to set the new mode I added, it says something about failing to set mode for cvrt 0. This problem is pretty wide-spread it seems, and I haven't found anything that works. When using whatever the default drivers are (removing the NVidia ones I installed) all I have to do is add the custom resolution (1360x768) with xrandr and it works perfectly.

Problem #2

Every time I boot, I have to issue the following commands to get my Wi-Fi and my custom resolution going:

modprobe rt2800usb
echo 148f 5370 > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rt2800usb/new_id

and for the resolution, I have to type out a cvt to get the modeline, and a bunch of xrandr nonsense to get the resolution going.

How can I get these commands to either "stick" so I don't have to run them each time, or at least get them to run automatically at start-up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21