Which new Android Phone to Get to Install Linux On

Mirax

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, here is where I am at. I am a long time linux user, not afraid to get my hands dirty. I have verizon as my cell carrier and am due for a new phone. I have an old plan which gives me unlimited data, so I am looking at on my new phone being able to install a linux OS, and then mount via fuse an ssh share where I have all my music and media stored on my file server at home. i.e. I have created my own cloud via ssh mounting of a directory.

What I am looking for is a good recommendation as to what phone to get so that I can:

1) Install linux on it.

2) Have it still work as a phone. (Make phone calls, data plan works just fine over verizon's 3G/4G network, etc...)

3) Install fuse and mount my ssh drive so that I can stream my music wherever I want.

I am not afraid of diving under the hood and figuring this stuff out. This is going to be my first android, and I was wondering if I could get some good recommendations on the phone itself. i.e. I'm assuming some models are easier to work with then others.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, here is where I am at. I am a long time linux user, not afraid to get my hands dirty. I have verizon as my cell carrier and am due for a new phone. I have an old plan which gives me unlimited data, so I am looking at on my new phone being able to install a linux OS, and then mount via fuse an ssh share where I have all my music and media stored on my file server at home. i.e. I have created my own cloud via ssh mounting of a directory.

What I am looking for is a good recommendation as to what phone to get so that I can:

1) Install linux on it.

2) Have it still work as a phone. (Make phone calls, data plan works just fine over verizon's 3G/4G network, etc...)

3) Install fuse and mount my ssh drive so that I can stream my music wherever I want.

I am not afraid of diving under the hood and figuring this stuff out. This is going to be my first android, and I was wondering if I could get some good recommendations on the phone itself. i.e. I'm assuming some models are easier to work with then others.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

IMO you'll probably want an AOSP device, either a Nexus S (is there even a Verizon version of the Nexus S???) or a Galaxy Nexus.

Why?

Because they're bloody easy to work with, and AFAIK pretty hard to hard-brick.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
IMO you'll probably want an AOSP device, either a Nexus S (is there even a Verizon version of the Nexus S???) or a Galaxy Nexus.

Why?

Because they're bloody easy to work with, and AFAIK pretty hard to hard-brick.

Remember when i was saying it would be cool to boot linux native
Check out galoulas latest latest release he made a boot.img i think for the gs1??? That does that
Im like sweeeet!

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781