• 1 Post By gollum18
  • 2 Post By gollum18
  • 2 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  • 1 Post By gollum18
  • 2 Post By gollum18
  • 2 Post By gollum18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question I Want to Learn About Linux

Hey, i want to learn what linux is, could anyone please give me a basic summary of linux, what it can do and any other information?
    thanks
    Thanked by:
    Vikram Nadathur likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: I Want to Learn About Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Nwirtel12 View Post
    Hey, i want to learn what linux is, could anyone please give me a basic summary of linux, what it can do and any other information?
    thanks
    Welcome to Android Central.This seems like a good place to start
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

thank you so much

Try Gnome shell, it is perfect for a desktop. You are going to love linux once you try it.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

This may go above and beyond what you want to do. But try learning Unix first, a lot of the commands in Unix are the same as Linux except that Unix uses the Korn shell by default.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    This may go above and beyond what you want to do. But try learning Unix first, a lot of the commands in Unix are the same as Linux except that Unix uses the Korn shell by default.

OSX is also the same as Linux and OSX use Unix as their base.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    OSX is also the same as Linux and OSX use Unix as their base.
    OSX is not the same as linux. Linux is open source anyone can copy/modify the source. OSX is closed source nuff said. Linux does not use Unix as a base. It is a Unix clone. Meaning that it does not copy ANY Unix source code. While the two systems are near identical, linux does not share any code with Unix.

Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Laura Knotek likes this.

OSX is not the same as linux. Linux is open source anyone can copy/modify the source. OSX is closed source nuff said. Linux does not use Unix as a base. It is a Unix clone. Meaning that it does not copy ANY Unix source code. While the two systems are near identical, linux does not share any code with Unix.

Thanks! I never knew Linux didn't use Unix at its base. But why are terminal commands so similar between my (awesome) Mac and my Ubuntu PC?

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Thanks! I never knew Linux didn't use Unix at its base. But why are terminal commands so similar between my (awesome) Mac and my Ubuntu PC?
    Well as I stated earlier, Unix and linux don't share source code, but linux is a clone of Unix. Which means that it has all of the features Unix has (without copying source code) plus a gui (unless it's straight linux then it's just a terminal like unix).

Now to answer your question, there are two main type of Unix. The first invented in the mid 60s in att bell laboratories is Unix, due to lawsuit issues they couldn't license it so they had to keep it open source. About half a decade later Berkeley University, copied that source code but modified it so much that it became an os of its own, Bsdunix (which is closed source).

A few decades later, Apple decides to use Bsdunix as a base, so they acquired a license and began developing it, mac os was the result. So following back from this sentence, that is why they share so many similar commands. OSX is a Unix based operating system, and linux is a Unix clone.

Sorry for the very brief history lesson, just regurgutating what I learned in my dev classes.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Accidental quote - deleted

Well as I stated earlier, Unix and linux don't share source code, but linux is a clone of Unix. Which means that it has all of the features Unix has (without copying source code) plus a gui.

Now to answer your question, there are two main type of Unix. The first invented in the mid 60s in att bell laboratories is Unix, due to lawsuit issues they couldn't license it so they had to keep it open source. About half a decade later Berkeley University, copied that source code but modified it so much that it became an os of its own, Bsdunix (which is closed source).

A few decades later, Apple decides to use Bsdunix as a base, so they acquired a license and began developing it, mac os was the result. So following back from this sentence, that is why they share so many similar commands. OSX is a Unix based operating system.

Thanks! just a quick question, what version of linux can bring back a machine with 2GB of RAM?

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

You can go to distrowatch.org. They list many distributions of linux. You can explore what is offered and compare to the system you plan on using. Many distros gave live CDs so you can try before installing.

Sent from my rooted DROID X2

Because the bash shell (used on most flavors of desktop Linux) and tcsh (used on OSX) are both derivatives of csh and use similar commands. The underlying OS has nothing to do with this, as bash has even been ported to Windows.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Thanks! just a quick question, what version of linux can bring back a machine with 2GB of RAM?
    Hehe my system runs linux Mint 14 32 bit, it works fine for developing. It has a pentium 4 prescott (experimental dual core) and 2gigs of dual channel ddr1 ram and it flies. Boot that sucker up, install prelink and preload, and install the liquorix kernel (it's a bit difficult to setup, as you have to build your own video driver for it to work properly, but the kernel comes with a script to do that). That's what my setup is, and I only lag when running system intensive apps. I need to upgrade though so I can start building android from source.

Linux.org is the official linux website, you can get advice from the people who actually build the linux distros, and they have really great guides available to set you know the right direction.

Laura Knotek likes this.

Lynda.com has some VERY good training on EVERYTHING. Try the 7 day free trial.
    iOS and Android are BOTH great. iPhone 3, 3GS, 4, 4s, 5, 5c, 5S, LG Optimus G Pro, S3, S4, Note 3, Moto X..
    Currently using LG G2, Note 3 and Nokia 520 WP8

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Deleted

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Because the bash shell (used on most flavors of desktop Linux) and tcsh (used on OSX) are both derivatives of csh and use similar commands. The underlying OS has nothing to do with this, as bash has even been ported to Windows.
    Boo on windows and cygwin. In my opinion if Microsoft doesn't change its business model they will bite the dust soon.

Hehe my system runs linux Mint 14 32 bit, it works fine for developing. It has a pentium 4 prescott (experimental dual core) and 2gigs of dual channel ddr1 ram and it flies. Boot that sucker up, install prelink and preload, and install the liquorix kernel (it's a bit difficult to setup, as you have to build your own video driver for it to work properly, but the kernel comes with a script to do that). That's what my setup is, and I only lag when running system intensive apps. I need to upgrade though so I can start building android from source.

Linux.org is the official linux website, you can get advice from the people who actually build the linux distros, and they have really great guides available to set you know the right direction.

Well isn't this funny my old PC has 2GB of RAM and a Pentium 4 proccecor clocked at 3.4 Ghz an that thing is so slow with windows on it. I will have to have a look at mint even though I prefer Ubuntu:P

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Well isn't this funny my old PC has 2GB of RAM and a Pentium 4 proccecor clocked at 3.4 Ghz an that thing is so slow with windows on it. I will have to have a look at mint even though I prefer Ubuntu:P
    The main distro for mint is Ubuntu based (and most if not all ubuntu packages are compatible with it), but there's also a debian based version. So you know though, mint 15 rc was just released a few weeks ago, so mint 15 stable will be out within a few weeks.

Thanked by:

I would suggest learning the CLI, even though most distros nowadays have really decent GUIs. Linux is really powerful if one is familiar with the commands, and sometimes it is actually quicker and easier to work in the terminal.
    Laura Knotek

Not a developer or anything but i want to install linux on my sisters computer, she has a HP G7 computer and I've already wiped it once because it got ridiculously laggy for a 6 month old computer, a guy from my unit said Linux would be better for her since it doesn't lag and its far more secure than windows. I just want to know if putting it on her computer would benefit her at all. she only uses it for the internet, videos and writing school papers.

thanks in advance for the help

This is very good and informative discussion related to Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Balti43 View Post
    Not a developer or anything but i want to install linux on my sisters computer, she has a HP G7 computer and I've already wiped it once because it got ridiculously laggy for a 6 month old computer, a guy from my unit said Linux would be better for her since it doesn't lag and its far more secure than windows. I just want to know if putting it on her computer would benefit her at all. she only uses it for the internet, videos and writing school papers.

thanks in advance for the help
    The only caution I would have is that if someone is very used to Windows they can easily feel very very lost in Linux. The UI is much different, installing apps is MUCH different, and a lot of the Windows apps arent available on Linux. You will have to spend some time findng open source alternatives to some Windows apps.
    Thanked by:
    UJ95x