linux pc image (ISO) on Android phone?

Tom Torbeyns

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this is a stupid question but I was thinking:
Since both Android and your pc use image (ISO) files to install a linux OS, is it possible to install linux using a pc? (Your cellphone works like an external harddisk then)

Can you then install it like the default installation of Linux on pc?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this is a stupid question but I was thinking:
Since both Android and your pc use image (ISO) files to install a linux OS, is it possible to install linux using a pc? (Your cellphone works like an external harddisk then)

Can you then install it like the default installation of Linux on pc?

Android is an embedded linux system, it has all the necessary drivers built in from the oem. Installing linux in that manner would render it useless unless you respin your distro with your OEMs proprietary drivers and even then I don't think you would be able to get the touch screen to work.

It's far easier to run it on top of android and connect to it using a vnc client. Search for the linux on android project on xda. It's pretty stable.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

irid10t

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Or for that matter, the X11 server and a SSH client on Android.

Personally I'm missing all of my gnu utils, so I'm contemplating rebuilding the entire userland into either a LFS or Debian system. Did LFS a long while ago so the only downside is going to be the time consuming process and I'll probably need to brush up on my coding

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Android is an embedded linux system, it has all the necessary drivers built in from the oem. Installing linux in that manner would render it useless unless you respin your distro with your OEMs proprietary drivers and even then I don't think you would be able to get the touch screen to work.

It's far easier to run it on top of android and connect to it using a vnc client. Search for the linux on android project on xda. It's pretty stable.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

Actully drivers are build in in to the kernel... so all you need is kernel from Android :p if there any closed source blob you can try copy it and load it it should work as long export points fit to kernel you compiled. Besides Linux it self got already to of drivers for may ARM devices and possibly might support the whole device without propartery divers. So if you want to make something work, you need to know what Linux kernel modules your device requires

Bigger problem is how to make your system to boot. ISO for desktop are usally made only to boot on PC :p Phone got different boot sequence system and require different treatment. But to begin with you would need ISO image that have ARM bineries not PCs x86. Ubuntu and Arch got ARM versions so you might try search in that direction, any other distro i think it's easier to just boot up kernel alone first and then create envriament that reassebles that distro.

But i would recomand you to learn how Linux work (You can do that by trying to install Gentoo without UI installer, it's great eye opener.), other wise you will be quicly lost. Most impotently try to think for yourself because in Linux and aspecially Android community there ton of BS assumptions which only makes you lost and powerless.

Or for that matter, the X11 server and a SSH client on Android.

Personally I'm missing all of my gnu utils, so I'm contemplating rebuilding the entire userland into either a LFS or Debian system. Did LFS a long while ago so the only downside is going to be the time consuming process and I'll probably need to brush up on my coding

LFS is not distro :p it's a documentation how to make one for yourself, or at least show you a way. Thinking that you need distribution to use Linux only locks you in the box, thats why ,most people don't really understand how Linux work

lubart

May 13, 2012
Visit site
You can not install linux on your phone but you can install Linux "inside" Android. You can use Linux Deploy app or Complete Linux installation for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12