Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 lts now but I'm thinking of switching back to 10.04, unity makes my desktop lag so bad with only half a gig of ram( I'm running on my budget built PC, don't even have a legal copy of windows).

I love Ubuntu however its very simple to use and I love not having to pay for it, i haven't really encountered any bugs yet but that's probably because I have tried and true hardware installed. Honestly it is easier to use than windows the commands in terminal are easier to memorize and accessing the root of the file system is way easier( i remember when I was running xp you had to do some fancy mumbo jumbo to access the admin account ). The ease of installing side software is much easier due to the software center and synaptic package manager. I also feel that it gets much more support than windows as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

Default Re: Which distro do you run and why?

Check out peppermint three...its based on a mixture of Ubuntu/Debian, if I'm not mistaken...

So far, no complaints from me...its speedy, and minimal seeming...which is what i like...

Also to whoever was talking about ubuntu ultimate and wanting a link...

there you go...

peppermint three:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pandroid View Post
    I tried setting up Gentoo...my laptop just wouldn't have any of it though...It wouldn't mount my drives or anything when trying to do it...and the LiveDVD wouldn't install for me...

So at the moment, Ubuntu Ultimate Edition...Its nice...but a bit of a resource hog...

Will probably go to RedHat/Fedora again, soon.
    You could try asking for help in #gentoo on the freenode IRC network. People are very friendly and are always willing to answer questions for new users.

By the way, I use Gentoo. I am also a Gentoo developer. I became one because I really like Gentoo.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Quote Originally Posted by ryao View Post
    You could try asking for help in #gentoo on the freenode IRC network. People are very friendly and are always willing to answer questions for new users.

By the way, I use Gentoo. I am also a Gentoo developer. I became one because I really like Gentoo.
    You're a Gentoo dev...nice. What do you work on as a Gentoo dev?

+1 peppermint3, Mr Pandroid!

Also, check out for user-friendliness to newbies, and
    for another cutting-edge distro.

The first two named are from devs formerly associated with Mint (Kendall from lubuntu and Mint-lxde, Ikey from LMDE, respectively) -- ironic that they developed two of the better distros around. The distro siduction is an offshoot of now-defunct sidux that split due to that bane of humankind, politics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Linux: Which distro do you run and why?-siduction_400x218.jpg  

Arch Linux as it's less automated and give you more choose on what software you want to have. It's like Gentoo but based on binary packages

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts

I just recently installed openSUSE after some time away with Windows. Mainly due to my owning a BlackBerry.

The first thing I did after switching to Android (since there is no desktop manager that requires windows) was to start checking out Linux distros again. I found that openSUSE still is one of the best when it comes to KDE implementation.

I'm currently dual booting but once I get everything set up and just right I will probably dump Windows 8 all together.

I am running a triple-boot Win 7, Ubuntu, Mint; primarily Ubuntu12.04

I like Mint okay, but I actually like Unity, and I have the cube hack running on Ubuntu, and can't get it to work in Mint 14 without really breaking things.

Anyone know of a KDE mod that looks/acts like Unity/gnome but retains the comfigurability of KDE?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.10 because I am on a laptop and I want more compatibility, but in the past I have run all the way from bigger boys like Fedora and openSUSE to Frugalware and Manjaro. If anyone wants a Gentoo-esque rolling-release distro that has an Out-of-the-box philosophy, try Sabayon. I've been running that for a few weeks, but had to switch because of printer setup issues and the non-purttyness of Qt apps on GNOME 3 (Yes, I actually liked GNOME 3, mainly because I'm not a big multitasker).

ROM
    CM7.2.0-RC0 Galaxy5 Port

Why? Because it's the best distro you can find!!

Which one? Slackware, obviously!!

Latest Ubuntu. Because it is the most popular and well supported by software developers.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Otter View Post
    Latest Ubuntu. Because it is the most popular and well supported by software developers.
    Technically Lol software on Ubuntu will install the same way on any other Debian build.

Unity just isn't my cup of tea I'll stick to mint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Now I'm using Fedora 18 / gnome. and love it. I started with Redhat 3.0.3 years ago, played with windows for a while, moved to FreeBSD / KDE for at least 8 years or so. Then ran SUSU / KDE, for a few years, with a back and fourth of Solaris. Tried a hackintosh on my Intel i-7 for about 6 months with OsX 10.7, but of all those years of playing around, I think the most stable and best performing is this version of Fedora!

I used to be a huge fan of Ubuntu, but ever since the release right before they switched to Gnome 3/Unity I would have problems on a tower that I've got with the mouse and/or keyboard freezing from boot on a reboot or cold start after exiting Ubuntu (dual-booted at the time with Vista, and no issues with Vista rebooting, or most other distros of Linux rebooting). Moreover, I can't stand Gnome 3 and Unity, so I've totally walked away from Ubuntu, and now my go-to distro is Linux Mint, which I have set up on a flash drive which I can take to college with me and boot up computers there with it, if I feel like it.

Many years ago I was a fan of Fedora, but it's just never been quite as stable and reliable for me as the Debian-based distros are, though credit where credit is due because they are awesome at upstreaming all of their code contributions to maintainers, et al.

Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS -- US release

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Technically Lol software on Ubuntu will install the same way on any other Debian build.

I'm starting to get used to Unity. I even have a Unity style sidelauncher on my Note 2.

My desktop is triple boot. OpenSUSE 12.x, Mint 13, Vista. Unfortunately, the last update for OpenSUSE had me reboot, at which point SUSE couldn't find the kernel. So, I'm now dual booting.

My old Toshiba 13" laptop is dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 and XP. I now have an ASUS 15.6" laptop with Win8 that I need to figure out how to get it to boot from DVD, so I can add Mint as a second OS.

We run Rocks at my work. I work for a bunch of biologists, and Rocks is good for scheduling big compute stacks. I kind of hate maintaining it, though :P I work on an Ubuntu desktop, which is good, though!
    Check out my (free) game called Ninja's Ascent on Google Play!

I just set up Linux Mint for a friend on a 32GB flash drive he just bought. Now he can boot his laptop up as well as computers at school with "his own OS" and he's so thrilled about it. I showed him how to install software, the basics of how to find appropriate Linux-related articles for figuring out the fairly uncommon terminal-based stuff (for him; he's working on his Masters in English), and I got all the necessaries installed for him (MP3 support, DVD support, Spotify, etc.) and he's absolutely thrilled.

He also loves how he can just plug stuff in and it just starts working -- pretty much like on a Mac -- without any kind of formalized BS process like what Windows puts you through.

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Any application compiled on Linux will work on any other Linux as long as dependies are meet. Look on Steam, packaged for Ubuntu, but works on Arch toghther with all games there.

Speaking of different distros and the libraries they use, I have found that some software will work better on certain distros than others. For example, classically I have found that Scribus works the best on Fedora or openSuSE.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Ubuntu based Linux Mint. I've tried straight ubuntu, it was to buggy for me and personally it gets worse with each release. Mint fixes most of the issues in ubuntu as well as providing a really nice smooth interface. I feel the ceo of ubuntu is trying to turn the company into a for - profit organization. This to me seems like it is anti-linux. So I may switch over to the debian base in the future.

Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net

I just installed on my 6 year old laptop as I was looking for something lightweight to do some beginner-level C++ coding on.

I like it, but since it is still in Beta (only v 0.2) it is buggy and has some crashes. It is also not as lightweight as I want it to be.

I heard of a new distro called which I will install on this laptop when the semester is over. LXLE is made to be particularly lightweight to run on older laptops, so I look forward to running it.

Quote Originally Posted by patmackattack View Post
    I just installed on my 6 year old laptop as I was looking for something lightweight to do some beginner-level C++ coding on.

I like it, but since it is still in Beta (only v 0.2) it is buggy and has some crashes. It is also not as lightweight as I want it to be.

I heard of a new distro called which I will install on this laptop when the semester is over. LXLE is made to be particularly lightweight to run on older laptops, so I look forward to running it.
    One of the lightest-weight distros to run is actually Crunchbang. I think as shipped, the OOBE RAM footprint is about 100+MB in size. For modern distros, I don't know how to make it any lighter-weight than not shipping a GUI at all.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Xubuntu is my preferred distro right now. I'm an unashamed Xfce fanboy. Lately I've been considering making the switch to Debian though as stability is pleasing to me. I don't really care if I have the latest stuff as long as it works right. Also the direction that Ubuntu has been taking the last couple of years is somewhat disconcerting to me. I'm afraid that they'll get to big and forget their original vision.

I really want to try Arch Linux though and lately I've been thinking of buying a cheap laptop just to fiddle with it and other distros that potentially require more maintenance.
    Tall Mike 2145 likes this.

ROM
    CM10

I use Crunchbang because it's lightweight, and my laptop has a Celeron 900 processor. I also like that it's more-or-less just Debian with an extra custom repo, and it comes ready-to-use OOTB, even with Openbox. Plus, Crunchbang's forum is filled with helpful, friendly folks, and it's just a great atmosphere.

I'm considering a move to Slackware (I've used it in the past), but I've been spoiled by APT's dependency checks, so I'm a little wary of the tedious package management, though I'm aware that Slack's package management has advanced a bit since I last used it (in 2004), even if it requires a third-party package manager.

I've also enjoyed Mageia, but it didn't have all the packages I needed, so I had to go back to Crunchbang since the Debian repos have everything.

I tried installing Funtoo (founded by Gentoo's founder and based on the Gentoo principles but with better package management and other tweaks) on an old P3 866MHz computer, but I couldn't get it to boot (some problem with fstab, even after I quintuple-checked that it was correct). I may try it on my laptop if I have a free weekend, but it's a lot of work if I have the same fstab issues.

I'm also watching MauiOS, which is the first distribution I've heard of to make the switch from X to Wayland (actually, it never used X, so there's technically no "switching", but relative to all other distros, it's a switch). It's a bit slow and buggy right now, but I'm excited about Wayland.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    One of the lightest-weight distros to run is actually Crunchbang. I think as shipped, the OOBE RAM footprint is about 100+MB in size. For modern distros, I don't know how to make it any lighter-weight than not shipping a GUI at all.
    I agree 100%. Mageia and Fuduntu gobbled up to 300MB of RAM at boot for me. Crunchbang uses <120MB of RAM at boot, and that's with composting and other extra stuff enabled. And if you really want, you can get rid of the Crunchbang repos from sources.list, and it becomes a generic Debian that's already been tweaked and made usable.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 lts now but I'm thinking of switching back to 10.04, unity makes my desktop lag so bad with only half a gig of ram( I'm running on my budget built PC, don't even have a legal copy of windows).

I love Ubuntu however its very simple to use and I love not having to pay for it, i haven't really encountered any bugs yet but that's probably because I have tried and true hardware installed. Honestly it is easier to use than windows the commands in terminal are easier to memorize and accessing the root of the file system is way easier( i remember when I was running xp you had to do some fancy mumbo jumbo to access the admin account ). The ease of installing side software is much easier due to the software center and synaptic package manager. I also feel that it gets much more support than windows as well.

Use lxde. You getr all the features of Ubuntu on a lighter GUI.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast