Linux: Which distro do you run and why?

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Which distro do you run and why?

OK, cheated on Ubuntu and installed Gentoo. Best decision I could have made. I even got a full Android build environment set up with relative ease!

No crazy optimizations, just "-march=native -O2 -pipe" with USE flags customized out the wazoo. This thing flies!

Oh, and having MAKEOPTS="-j12" with a Phenom II X6 helps too :D

Last edited:

Mr Pandroid

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I tried setting up Gentoo...my laptop just wouldn't have any of it though...It wouldn't mount my drives or anything when trying to do it...and the LiveDVD wouldn't install for me...

So at the moment, Ubuntu Ultimate Edition...Its nice...but a bit of a resource hog...

Will probably go to RedHat/Fedora again, soon.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I tried setting up Gentoo...my laptop just wouldn't have any of it though...It wouldn't mount my drives or anything when trying to do it...and the LiveDVD wouldn't install for me...

So at the moment, Ubuntu Ultimate Edition...Its nice...but a bit of a resource hog...

Ubuntu 12.04 you mean????
If not may I have a link?

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

Mr Pandroid

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Ubuntu 12.04 you mean????
If not may I have a link?

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Android Central Forums

I can't post one right now, I'm at work....

Go to distrowatch.com and find ultimate on the right side bar...

It comes loaded with a lot of stuff...

Sent from my HTC One V using Xparent ICS Blue Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 lts now but I'm thinking of switching back to 10.04, unity makes my desktop lag so bad with only half a gig of ram( I'm running on my budget built PC, don't even have a legal copy of windows).

I love Ubuntu however its very simple to use and I love not having to pay for it, i haven't really encountered any bugs yet but that's probably because I have tried and true hardware installed. Honestly it is easier to use than windows the commands in terminal are easier to memorize and accessing the root of the file system is way easier( i remember when I was running xp you had to do some fancy mumbo jumbo to access the admin account ). The ease of installing side software is much easier due to the software center and synaptic package manager. I also feel that it gets much more support than windows as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ryao

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site

You could try asking for help in #gentoo on the freenode IRC network. People are very friendly and are always willing to answer questions for new users.

By the way, I use Gentoo. I am also a Gentoo developer. I became one because I really like Gentoo.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
You could try asking for help in #gentoo on the freenode IRC network. People are very friendly and are always willing to answer questions for new users.

By the way, I use Gentoo. I am also a Gentoo developer. I became one because I really like Gentoo.

You're a Gentoo dev...nice. What do you work on as a Gentoo dev?

pane-free

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

+1 peppermint3, Mr Pandroid!

Also, check out SolusOS for user-friendliness to newbies, and
siduction for another cutting-edge distro.

The first two named are from devs formerly associated with Mint (Kendall from lubuntu and Mint-lxde, Ikey from LMDE, respectively) -- ironic that they developed two of the better distros around. The distro siduction is an offshoot of now-defunct sidux that split due to that bane of humankind, politics.

Attachments

• siduction_400x218.jpg
    siduction_400x218.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 36

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Arch Linux as it's less automated and give you more choose on what software you want to have. It's like Gentoo but based on binary packages

SRR500

May 31, 2011
Visit site

I just recently installed openSUSE after some time away with Windows. Mainly due to my owning a BlackBerry.

The first thing I did after switching to Android (since there is no desktop manager that requires windows) was to start checking out Linux distros again. I found that openSUSE still is one of the best when it comes to KDE implementation.

I'm currently dual booting but once I get everything set up and just right I will probably dump Windows 8 all together.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

I am running a triple-boot Win 7, Ubuntu, Mint; primarily Ubuntu12.04

I like Mint okay, but I actually like Unity, and I have the cube hack running on Ubuntu, and can't get it to work in Mint 14 without really breaking things.

Anyone know of a KDE mod that looks/acts like Unity/gnome but retains the comfigurability of KDE?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

TheCube

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm currently running Ubuntu 12.10 because I am on a laptop and I want more compatibility, but in the past I have run all the way from bigger boys like Fedora and openSUSE to Frugalware and Manjaro. If anyone wants a Gentoo-esque rolling-release distro that has an Out-of-the-box philosophy, try Sabayon. I've been running that for a few weeks, but had to switch because of printer setup issues and the non-purttyness of Qt apps on GNOME 3 (Yes, I actually liked GNOME 3, mainly because I'm not a big multitasker).

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site

Latest Ubuntu. Because it is the most popular and well supported by software developers.

Technically Lol software on Ubuntu will install the same way on any other Debian build.

Unity just isn't my cup of tea I'll stick to mint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

dorfs1

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site

Now I'm using Fedora 18 / gnome. and love it. I started with Redhat 3.0.3 years ago, played with windows for a while, moved to FreeBSD / KDE for at least 8 years or so. Then ran SUSU / KDE, for a few years, with a back and fourth of Solaris. Tried a hackintosh on my Intel i-7 for about 6 months with OsX 10.7, but of all those years of playing around, I think the most stable and best performing is this version of Fedora!

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site

I used to be a huge fan of Ubuntu, but ever since the release right before they switched to Gnome 3/Unity I would have problems on a tower that I've got with the mouse and/or keyboard freezing from boot on a reboot or cold start after exiting Ubuntu (dual-booted at the time with Vista, and no issues with Vista rebooting, or most other distros of Linux rebooting). Moreover, I can't stand Gnome 3 and Unity, so I've totally walked away from Ubuntu, and now my go-to distro is Linux Mint, which I have set up on a flash drive which I can take to college with me and boot up computers there with it, if I feel like it.

Many years ago I was a fan of Fedora, but it's just never been quite as stable and reliable for me as the Debian-based distros are, though credit where credit is due because they are awesome at upstreaming all of their code contributions to maintainers, et al.

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site

Technically Lol software on Ubuntu will install the same way on any other Debian build.

Unity just isn't my cup of tea I'll stick to mint.
I'm starting to get used to Unity. I even have a Unity style sidelauncher on my Note 2.

My desktop is triple boot. OpenSUSE 12.x, Mint 13, Vista. Unfortunately, the last update for OpenSUSE had me reboot, at which point SUSE couldn't find the kernel. So, I'm now dual booting.

My old Toshiba 13" laptop is dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 and XP. I now have an ASUS 15.6" laptop with Win8 that I need to figure out how to get it to boot from DVD, so I can add Mint as a second OS.