Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is there an advantage to using Appbrain over Marketplace

    Just wondering which is the easiest and most efficient way to download apps.
    Thanks in advance--Jeff
  2. #2  

    Default

    I love Appbrain, being able to make a list of Apps to download when you want to is great. Also, having some of the best reviews, and screenshots to see what your getting before wasting all your time elsewhere.
  3. #3  
    terpitude71's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,166 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

    Default

    i you are looking for a specific app, i usually just go directly to the marketplace. if you are browsing though, app brain makes that much easier and more efficient. also very useful for mass app installs and uninstalls
  4. #4  

    Default

    Beside the batch app install feature, there is the fact that you are able to check out the apps in a desktop browser. You can see screenshots, visit the developers page and there is a reviews section that is beginning to take off. Those are sometimes longer and more insightful than market comments. Also you can share apps via Facebook, Twitter, Buzz and email, see what others have installed, see a selection of "hot" or recommended apps, and more. AppBrain is quite amazing!
    White GSM HTC Hero, stock ROM
    Tweet me @BrokenFox
  5. #5  
    rhippler's Avatar

    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

    Default

    not to mention if you wipe your phone it will reinstall all your apps
  6. #6  
    pmas's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    783 Global Posts

    Default

    no, there is not
  7. #7  
    NicksGarage's Avatar

    Posts
    653 Posts
    Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Bringing back this old thread...

    When you buy apps on the marketplace, you can easily get a refund. Does that apply if you use AppBrain to install them? Is the marketplace aware of the apps you installed using AppBrain?

    Watching the Google I|O video, they talk about enhancments to the marketplace that will pretty much make it work like AppBrain if not better. But who knows when that will come out or if it is tied to the release of Android 2.2.

    For me, I've been checking out apps on AppBrain and making a list but I'll probably just install them from the marketplace using the phone.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G
  8. #8  
    terpitude71's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,166 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName Android 1.5.5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    Bringing back this old thread...

    When you buy apps on the marketplace, you can easily get a refund. Does that apply if you use AppBrain to install them? Is the marketplace aware of the apps you installed using AppBrain?

    Watching the Google I|O video, they talk about enhancments to the marketplace that will pretty much make it work like AppBrain if not better. But who knows when that will come out or if it is tied to the release of Android 2.2.

    For me, I've been checking out apps on AppBrain and making a list but I'll probably just install them from the marketplace using the phone.
    when you use app brain to install apps, once you sync it to your phone, it directs you to that app in the marketplace. so even when you uninstall using appbrain, you would get the refund as well if it is within 24 hours.
  9. #9  
    NicksGarage's Avatar

    Posts
    653 Posts
    Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Thanks, won't have my Android phone until tomorrow. I guess I'll give it a try.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is there an advantage to using Appbrain over Marketplace

    All AppBrain does is queue up things in the App Market. So of you uninstall from AppBrain's website, you still have to go to AppBrain on your device and alpply the changes to launch the AppMarket to actually do the uninstall on your device. It will make more sense when you actually have a device and do it. Play with some free apps first to get the hang of it.

    Sent from my Nexus One
    --
    applejosh
    Just a username...not a fanboy
    former Nexus One owner (AT&T)
  11. #11  

    Default

    I can't seem to get the AppBrain app on the Android to see my lists I created online. I can see some (maybe all?) of the installed apps from the phone on the website.

    Can someone tell me what options to select in the app that allows me to see my lists?

    I thought it was "My Recommendations" but that gives me a list of a bunch of stuff that I did not select.

    I do the obvious "Manage my apps" but that just gives me a list of what is installed on the Evo. There is a sync with appbrain button and that seems to sync.

    I am looking to see the various lists I created and the apps listed so I can select and install them. I am just not seeing this at all... It is probably somethign very obvious and I will do a big "DA" later but hey....
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks
  12. #12  
    NicksGarage's Avatar

    Posts
    653 Posts
    Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I had the same problem and gave up and just installed the ones I wanted from the regular market app. Oh well.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G
  13. #13  
    nkawal's Avatar

    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

    Default

    same issues here.
  14. #14  
    NicksGarage's Avatar

    Posts
    653 Posts
    Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    I had the same problem and gave up and just installed the ones I wanted from the regular market app. Oh well.
    I figured out why AppBrain wasn't synching up with my phone. I have two e-mail addresses associated with my Google account and I had to set up a new AppBrain account using the other e-mail address and now it is synched up.

    This is causing me issues in other areas with my Google account but don't know how to fix it other than deleting my Google account and starting over.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G
  15. #15  
    tony bag o donuts's Avatar
    Resident Ringtone Maker

    Posts
    3,904 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NicksGarage View Post
    I figured out why AppBrain wasn't synching up with my phone. I have two e-mail addresses associated with my Google account and I had to set up a new AppBrain account using the other e-mail address and now it is synched up.

    This is causing me issues in other areas with my Google account but don't know how to fix it other than deleting my Google account and starting over.
    Did you ever get this fixed?
    I have to google email addresses but only use one calendar, etc. and was going to give appbrain a try.
  16. #16  
    NicksGarage's Avatar

    Posts
    653 Posts
    Global Posts
    825 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    Did you ever get this fixed?
    I have to google email addresses but only use one calendar, etc. and was going to give appbrain a try.
    Yes, I had to delete on google account and then associate that e-mail address to the other one and then make sure both my computers were using the correct one for calendar sync. My google e-mail address is the one registered to the phone but I don't use Gmail. I attached my two other normal e-mail addresses to the Google account. Now they all match up and appbrain works.

    On a side note, having the double Google accounts also caused a lot of duplicate contacts. I had to go into the settings on the phone and remove all the contact data and then sync it up again with Google. I had gotten more duplicates by using HTC Sync with my computer. Still haven't figured out how to keep them all in sync without creating a big duplicate problem. Right now I'm not using HTC Sync for anything and just manually keeping my contacts updated on my computer.
    Kyo 6035 > Kyo 7135 > Palm 800W > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVOLTE > HTC One (M8) + EVO View 4G

Posting Permissions

B