Is there an advantage to using Appbrain over Marketplace

fupayme

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I love Appbrain, being able to make a list of Apps to download when you want to is great. Also, having some of the best reviews, and screenshots to see what your getting before wasting all your time elsewhere.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i you are looking for a specific app, i usually just go directly to the marketplace. if you are browsing though, app brain makes that much easier and more efficient. also very useful for mass app installs and uninstalls

anon(12496)

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Beside the batch app install feature, there is the fact that you are able to check out the apps in a desktop browser. You can see screenshots, visit the developers page and there is a reviews section that is beginning to take off. Those are sometimes longer and more insightful than market comments. Also you can share apps via Facebook, Twitter, Buzz and email, see what others have installed, see a selection of "hot" or recommended apps, and more. AppBrain is quite amazing!

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Bringing back this old thread...

When you buy apps on the marketplace, you can easily get a refund. Does that apply if you use AppBrain to install them? Is the marketplace aware of the apps you installed using AppBrain?

Watching the Google I|O video, they talk about enhancments to the marketplace that will pretty much make it work like AppBrain if not better. But who knows when that will come out or if it is tied to the release of Android 2.2.

For me, I've been checking out apps on AppBrain and making a list but I'll probably just install them from the marketplace using the phone.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Bringing back this old thread...

When you buy apps on the marketplace, you can easily get a refund. Does that apply if you use AppBrain to install them? Is the marketplace aware of the apps you installed using AppBrain?

Watching the Google I|O video, they talk about enhancments to the marketplace that will pretty much make it work like AppBrain if not better. But who knows when that will come out or if it is tied to the release of Android 2.2.

For me, I've been checking out apps on AppBrain and making a list but I'll probably just install them from the marketplace using the phone.

when you use app brain to install apps, once you sync it to your phone, it directs you to that app in the marketplace. so even when you uninstall using appbrain, you would get the refund as well if it is within 24 hours.

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
All AppBrain does is queue up things in the App Market. So of you uninstall from AppBrain's website, you still have to go to AppBrain on your device and alpply the changes to launch the AppMarket to actually do the uninstall on your device. It will make more sense when you actually have a device and do it. Play with some free apps first to get the hang of it.

Sent from my Nexus One

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to get the AppBrain app on the Android to see my lists I created online. I can see some (maybe all?) of the installed apps from the phone on the website.

Can someone tell me what options to select in the app that allows me to see my lists?

I thought it was "My Recommendations" but that gives me a list of a bunch of stuff that I did not select.

I do the obvious "Manage my apps" but that just gives me a list of what is installed on the Evo. There is a sync with appbrain button and that seems to sync.

I am looking to see the various lists I created and the apps listed so I can select and install them. I am just not seeing this at all... It is probably somethign very obvious and I will do a big "DA" later but hey....

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem and gave up and just installed the ones I wanted from the regular market app. Oh well.

I figured out why AppBrain wasn't synching up with my phone. I have two e-mail addresses associated with my Google account and I had to set up a new AppBrain account using the other e-mail address and now it is synched up.

This is causing me issues in other areas with my Google account but don't know how to fix it other than deleting my Google account and starting over.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I figured out why AppBrain wasn't synching up with my phone. I have two e-mail addresses associated with my Google account and I had to set up a new AppBrain account using the other e-mail address and now it is synched up.

This is causing me issues in other areas with my Google account but don't know how to fix it other than deleting my Google account and starting over.

Did you ever get this fixed?
I have to google email addresses but only use one calendar, etc. and was going to give appbrain a try.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Did you ever get this fixed?
I have to google email addresses but only use one calendar, etc. and was going to give appbrain a try.

Yes, I had to delete one google account and then associate that e-mail address to the other one and then make sure both my computers were using the correct one for calendar sync. My google e-mail address is the one registered to the phone but I don't use Gmail. I attached my two other normal e-mail addresses to the Google account. Now they all match up and appbrain works.

On a side note, having the double Google accounts also caused a lot of duplicate contacts. I had to go into the settings on the phone and remove all the contact data and then sync it up again with Google. I had gotten more duplicates by using HTC Sync with my computer. Still haven't figured out how to keep them all in sync without creating a big duplicate problem. Right now I'm not using HTC Sync for anything and just manually keeping my contacts updated on my computer.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma