Removing access to my Google Play account for stolen phone

SFGary

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I "lost" my HTC Inspire in Oct of 2011 but was not sophisticated enough at that time to set up an app to remote wipe etc. I changed my Gmail password, called the carrier to report the loss, and tried to remove the phone from my account but frustratingly found that I could not.

I did do a search for this issue of stolen phones in this forum and elsewhere but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Various forum threads said/implied that the new user of the phone could not access my account (which now has a new password.) However I noticed today in my Google Play Device settings in the "Carrier last used" (what the heck does this mean??!!) column the date Mar 8, 2012, 4.5 to 5 months after the device was lost. So if I changed my password why is this line item of a lost phone even active? If the new user has a Google account why does it show up in my Google Play account page? This worries me but should I be worried?

Does the simple fact of the "Shown in menus" box under Visibility (what is this?) being checked or not make all the difference of access to my account? can I be assured that if the new user does not know my Google a/c password he/she cannot access my various devices? Common sense tells me they cannot but the doubt still remains. I hope a knowledgeable user can answer this question or point me to a previous post. Thanks

Gary