Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Another method to Install Non-market apps.

I'm not sure if this method has been shown before or not. I only thought about posting this because I know people ask about how to do this and alternate methods. Like this method that was posted the other day.

This method Involves using Gmail and emailing the .apk to your gmail account that is synced with your phone.

Open Email that contains the .apk attachment

Click on the Button next to the attachment that Says "Preview" It will open the following Pop-up.

You may get this pop-up. If so click settings then click Unknown Sources. (make sure it has a Green check Mark next to it. AFter you've done this, Return to the Email. and start again.

AFter it Fetches the Attachment. It will ask you to install. Click Install!

And then there you go! you have it installed!

Hope I haven't repeated a commonly known method.

Enjoy!
    Droid X > 7/15/2010-Present
    Thanked by:
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

Old news... and you can't do this on ATT phones.

If I'm not mistaken, the point is that there is no check box to allow apps from unknown sources on the AT&T phones.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,139 Global Posts

Actually ... This used to be a Froyo-only thing ... What's it doing working on the X? And how many other of my Android 2.1 phones will this work on? Hmmmmmm ...
    Grand Master Moosc

Global Posts
    5,610 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

U have to dl a app from market to open attachments in gmail. He listed the name.