Appbrain - Why the need?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Why do we need it? Lots of duplicate apps on the marketplace are also on appbrain..

Is there a specific need? are there specific apps on appbrain that aren't on the regular market? and if so, why aren't they on the regular market?

bnob99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I personally would rather browse for apps on appbrain. Its quicker than doing it on the phone and I can install apps with one click and its on my phone when I pick it up to use it.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
One of the benefits is it sinks your apps even if sideloaded (i think ). But it does not help backup data. If rooted titanium does a great job of that. App brain does organizatize the install list nicely.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever tried to use Google's Market website?

Android.com - Market

Its just plain bad. I typically read about new apps on the computer, and being able to fire up AppBrain and send them to my DInc without going into the Market is super useful.

rjdangerous

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
One of the benefits is it sinks your apps even if sideloaded (i think ). But it does not help backup data. If rooted titanium does a great job of that. App brain does organizatize the install list nicely.

What if you backup with titanium on your rooted device, then a new phone comes out unrooted can you put them back on?

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The ability to access every app in the Market from my laptop and back them up on the website are the two reasons why I haven't visited the Market proper in months.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I've gotten a lot of the apps I now have from recommendations from AppBrain's "Hot Apps" list. It also makes recommendations based upon apps you currently have. And it serves as a backup of your apps if you ever have need. I like browsing for apps on my PC at work while I'm on hold or something, too. I can click Install and then just install them when I get to AppBrain on my phone. Seems faster than the Market and it is faster to uninstall apps than the Market.

anon(22913)

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Appbrain is easier to browse but remember not everything is on Appbrain. They would have you believe that everything in the Market is there but it's not. I'm a new developer with two free apps on the market with over 3000 downloads combined now, but they're not on Appbrain. I asked them why, no reply.

unbreakableblue

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I like appbrain for all these reasons and then one. Fastweb Installer (made by the same people who did appbrain, codemonkeys) allows you to pick an app on appbrain's website and it will automagically start installing on your phone. No need to sync up later or anything. Pretty sweet.

Sundown

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Appbrain is simply the Android Market ... the way the market SHOULD be.

It's easier to browse and search. It "hides" apps that have a negative feedback or are considered "spam" apps. The fast web installer is slick, so I don't even have to touch my phone to install an app. I love the "Hot Apps" and "Recommended for You" lists. A lot of new, cool apps found there.

Every time I've switched ROM's, Appbrain is the first app I install and re-sync everything. I found that it's faster for me, than using Titanium.

Basically, it goes back to my first sentence. It's the way Google should have made the market.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
All these benefits are true, but I have to disagree with the comment "the way the market SHOULD be." Yes, it's definitely better than the market itself, but it could still be a lot better. The search capabilities, for example, still suck.

One way to make it better is to use Google advanced search, and limit the search to the AppBrain domain.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I prefer using AppBrain along with Fast Web Installer on my Incredible ,just use AppBrain on my DX without Fast Web Installer .Either way tho I prefer to use AppBrain anything I find in the Market place is in AppBrain I agree kinda a duplicate .

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I use Appbrain mainly for the 'hot apps' - otherwise it doesn't really have advantages for me. I rarely shop for apps on my PC. And my EVO hangs on 'starting download' until I sign in to Talk, so fast installer really doesn't make it easier. I keep going back and forth on using Appbrain vs Market.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't really see the point of it either. I go to appbrain's website and look at the hot apps and reviews and stuff, but I don't really see the point of another app on my phone.

I guess it would be different if I were downloading and installing 20 apps a day, but let's be honest, after the first few weeks I only add an app every couple of days at most. I can do that with the market.

lonndoggie

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I've got a DROID with 2.2, waiting for Flash to show up in the market. So far, it hasn't. However, it's there in AppBrain--and I was able to install it remotely via AppBrain! No need to grab the apk manually and sideload it.

So there's a reason.

But really, I wish it did have more features, such as allow sorting categories and search results by ratings, downloads or app size.

Scatabrain

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
What if you backup with titanium on your rooted device, then a new phone comes out unrooted can you put them back on?

Not using titanium. It needs root to restore. Market will restore most apps but not data.

Lots of apps are writing built in backups. I wish they all did.