Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Installation unsuccessful?

I just got a certified like new android and I'm trying to manually download and reinstall all my old apps. Two of them - Angry Birds Lite and full version of Labyrinth, will download just fine, but I get an "Installation unsuccessful" message when it tries to install. I've tried several times. I am not rooted. I went onto my SD card and removed the .com files (I don't remember the full name of the file) but it still won't let me install. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Edit: Fixed it by removing the SD card to install it. Guess something there was still conflicting with it. Thanks.
    Last edited by spooksmcgee; 10-14-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Great find, I have found that clearing the data and cache in the market place app fixes most bugs too.

Default angry birds problem

I just can't seem to figure out why Angry Birds won't download. It always says after installing that there was an unknown error -18. Even tried to download it off of getjar and it just says not installed at the end.

Any ideas?
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

DWEB: It's in the Market now. Is that where you are getting it from?

Yeah that was where I originally started. Everytime I try to download from there when it gets to 100% it says Unknown Error - 18 and then it disappears....

Someone said try getjar and once I clicked on install it says right away installation unsuccessful. Not sure what's wrong....

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

Lately when I get Installation Unsuccessful it's because the app is on the SD card. I manually move the app back to the phone, let it update and then manually move it back to the card. It's a pain.

But I've also noticed than not all apps on the card have a problem updating. Some work just fine.

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azjerry View Post
    Lately when I get Installation Unsuccessful it's because the app is on the SD card. I manually move the app back to the phone, let it update and then manually move it back to the card. It's a pain.

But I've also noticed than not all apps on the card have a problem updating. Some work just fine.

I've been getting this lately too.

I am rooted, and after flashing a new ROM, I went to get all my apps back. The only 2 that I want back and can't get are Angry Birds and Blogaway. I get the Unknown Error -18 every time. I've wiped the data on the whole damn phone and I still get this error, and can not download them to save my life! I can't figure it out.
    OG Droid > Moto Droid 3.

Try opening up google Talk and making sure it is logged in. There was a bug where the market and talk shared the same login, if one was logged out the other would stop working.

I do what AZJerry does in that I have to move the app back to the Phone from the SD card, then after it updates, move it back to the SD card. There has to be a cause for this. I have a stock HTC EVO 4G. Is this effecting Froyo phone?

Default Re: Installation unsuccessful?

After doing some research I figured out how to get around the problem.

If you are getting an "Update Unsuccessful" message...
    Some apps like "Android System Info" and "Apps2SD" have a feature that let you move apps to the SD card. Sometimes a portion of an App would actually remain on the phone causing the update error. Move the app off the SD card and back onto the phone and try updating again.

If you are getting an "Install Unsuccessful" message...
    I'm not sure what causes this error. However if you go into your "settings/SD card & phone storage" and unmount the SD card you should be able to download and install the app that's giving you trouble. After your done mount your SD card. You may want to also restart your phone.
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

Quote Originally Posted by CmHall9 View Post
    After doing some research I figured out how to get around the problem.

If you are getting an "Update Unsuccessful" message...
    Some apps like "Android System Info" and "Apps2SD" have a feature that let you move apps to the SD card. Sometimes a portion of an App would actually remain on the phone causing the update error. Move the app off the SD card and back onto the phone and try updating again.

If you are getting an "Install Unsuccessful" message...
    I'm not sure what causes this error. However if you go into your "settings/SD card & phone storage" and unmount the SD card you should be able to download and install the app that's giving you trouble. After your done mount your SD card. You may want to also restart your phone.
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

I don't know where to write this (what and where are tags, posts, threads, replies. I've never been in a forum before). I was just wanting to download google earth, but "item cant be found". It's not important enough to tear my new phone apart or anything (not no techie). Just wondering if anybody else has the same prob. Can't find help from google.
    Banned

ROM
    2.2(?)(stock?)

I'm writing in this "tag"box just to see what it does. Sorry. (wish I had a dictionary on forum terms, little know android terms). Thank-you (whomever may read this)