Server error, please retry or return to previous screen. tried everything!!! Help!!!

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i recently traded my droid x for a samsung fascinate and i love it! but the guy i traded told me he was having issues with the marketplace. i had a similar issue with my old incredible and i was able to fix it by clearing cache in market, forcing stop and rebooting. so i thought no big deal. i was wrong because i have tried everything and cant get it to clear. i even created a new google account and it says the same thing as soon as i try and open the marletplace, "server error, please try again or return to the previous screen"

he did tell me he had it rooted running "darkhole rom" but unrooted it for me when we traded. everything on the phone works perfectly, internet, emails, gmail, pre'installed apps... and my connection is great both in 3g and wifi... what do i do!!! :eek:

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
quick side note, i called samsung support and they tried to get me to do a system recovery on the phone by holding down the volume button and pressing the power button... however the phone brings up the little yellow traingle and says downloading, but gets stuck there and i have to do a battery pull...

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
quick side note, i called samsung support and they tried to get me to do a system recovery on the phone by holding down the volume button and pressing the power button... however the phone brings up the little yellow traingle and says downloading, but gets stuck there and i have to do a battery pull...

Thats actually really sad , talk about outsourcing.....
Ok assuming he put it back to factory settings..
there are two ways of doing a restore without the help of a PC

#1.HOSettings > Security > Factory data reset

#2.Hold Volume buttons up and down at the same time, while holding press power button till you see it cycle the word samsung twice(it will go on then off then on again). then let go of the power button and volume buttons and tap volume down button once.
It will then boot into recovery, using the volume down button go to wipe/factory reset, select it by using the power button

if a factory restore does not work then we can try a couple other things.

Reactions: bear_lx

vzchan01

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi, i am also having the same problem. Im using android tablet pc version 2.1. cant access the market and download apps at all. How ????

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I have the Samsung Captivate and I am having the same problem. I also called Samsung Tech Support. I have done the factory reset from the phone itself and also did the manual factory reset using the volume and power buttons and I still cannot get into the market, and get the same server message. You mentioned to DizzyMaker that there may be something else to try? Please help.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Try the following settings>applications> manage applications> market> clear cache and data ...if you see am option to uninstall updates in that same window do that aswell.
Hello, I have the Samsung Captivate and I am having the same problem. I also called Samsung Tech Support. I have done the factory reset from the phone itself and also did the manual factory reset using the volume and power buttons and I still cannot get into the market, and get the same server message. You mentioned to DizzyMaker that there may be something else to try? Please help.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Imredeemed

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
What tablet are you using ?alot of tablets that are generic never got permission to have the market therefore its inaccessible , this may be the case here
Hi, i am also having the same problem. Im using android tablet pc version 2.1. cant access the market and download apps at all. How ????

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
This message is to DroidXCon. I tried that as well. Still no luck. I just don't understand why I was able to download from the market at first but after reseting the phone now I can't. Did someone say earlier there was something you could do through the computer? I may have misunderstood. I am new to this phone. I may have done the resets wrong or something of that nature.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
There is a tool to flash it back to stock but you can do that via factory reset. The other way is needed in more extreme situations like after messing with changing the OS . Try another restore
This message is to DroidXCon. I tried that as well. Still no luck. I just don't understand why I was able to download from the market at first but after reseting the phone now I can't. Did someone say earlier there was something you could do through the computer? I may have misunderstood. I am new to this phone. I may have done the resets wrong or something of that nature.

Reactions: Imredeemed

Imredeemed

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
DroiXCon: I have already done 2 resets to no avail and I don't think I have messed with any OS. A person named RUSHRL posted and asked if I had thought to remove the market. I replied back that I did not know you could do that. I don't want to permanently remove it because there are apps I would like to download from the market. Is it my only choice to keep doing these resets until something happens or either just figure I won't get into the market and use my phone without the apps? I love my phone it is everything I wanted. I would just like to access the market again. Thanks for your help.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well rush was suggesting tio remove it temporarily than reinstalling it there is something else we can do. Via a program called odin. It will completely put a fresh OS on your device and I have videos to walk you through it if you are willing to try it
DroiXCon: I have already done 2 resets to no avail and I don't think I have messed with any OS. A person named RUSHRL posted and asked if I had thought to remove the market. I replied back that I did not know you could do that. I don't want to permanently remove it because there are apps I would like to download from the market. Is it my only choice to keep doing these resets until something happens or either just figure I won't get into the market and use my phone without the apps? I love my phone it is everything I wanted. I would just like to access the market again. Thanks for your help.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
i am willing to try odin... i sent mine into samsung and they sent it back saying everything works fine... and to contact google support. i know how that goes... but first here is a question, how do i know if it is fully out of its previous root? the guy that traded me said it was but he could have been lying, maybe he did something to mess it up and thats why he wanted to trade... everything works perfectly except market... emails, internet, ect.. so how do i know if he fully unrooted it and what about rerooting it? will this fix it?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
i am willing to try odin... i sent mine into samsung and they sent it back saying everything works fine... and to contact google support. i know how that goes... but first here is a question, how do i know if it is fully out of its previous root? the guy that traded me said it was but he could have been lying, maybe he did something to mess it up and thats why he wanted to trade... everything works perfectly except market... emails, internet, ect.. so how do i know if he fully unrooted it and what about rerooting it? will this fix it?

the only way i know of is by trying to load a app that requires root. if you have the sideload wonder maching installed you could load up rom manager or something to that effect

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
ok droidxcon, i think i found part of the problem on my phone... when i go into my applications and look at the market, its version is 1714 . exactly like that, no decimals. and my market updater is version 1000 . so i have a bad version of them on my phone and thats why they wont work... so my question is, is there a way to delete them and reinstall them? if so where would i find a download for the marketplace and market updater?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol