Buying Amazon apps vs Buying Markep app

s0nic69

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guess, this is my first thread here.

I just factory reset my phone a few hrs ago and now i am sitting here installing all my apps. I have done this before and i am having no problems....

As i am sitting here, i am looking at what apps i want to buy the "ad-free" versions of or the "full versions" of.... i saw QuickOffice and lately i keep needing to edit an excel sheet that i use to keep track of my comic books (im a nerd) so i went on amazon app store and i saw its for 7.99. i was going to purchase it and then i thought... what is going to happen to my purchase if the amazon pulls the plug on their app store?

Is it safer for me to just keep buying my apps on market? Am i being silly thinking amazon will pull the plug on their app store?

I mean, i expect market to stay alive as long as android, but how long will amazon app store last and what is going to happen to all my purchases i make on amazon app store???

Are you guys buying apps from amazon, or sticking with market to be safe? any thoughts? Thanks!

thegov

May 6, 2010
Visit site
i only closely look at the free app of the day..most of the time it isn't anything worth while. i downloaded xconstruction the other day and it's pretty cool, but i wouldn't have paid for it. so having a paid app for free every day is pretty cool. in answer to your question, no i haven't paid for any apps but i think you should take into consideration that amazon is a pretty big outfit and i don't think they would've put in the time to develop the appstore if it wasn't going to work. i really don't think it will be going anywhere..having said that, if quickoffice is priced the same in the market as in the amazon appstore, i would probably buy it from the market. if its cheaper, i would buy it in the appstore...we're not talking about big money here.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
There is some measure of screening for apps in the Market. Not so sure about apps from Amazon, although it may be true. IMO, if an app is worthwhile, it's worth purchasing the paid version. Consistently, you get loads more options/support/updates and, as expected, no ads (and whatever glitches they may install on your phone). The devs aren't in this for the fun of it, so they make their apps better for those who support them.

BTW, I just recently paid the $7.99 for QuickOffice and have no regrets. I was able to edit a Word doc just as easily as on my computer. It's a great asset if you do much work with the Office programs, and especially valuable if you travel.

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
All things being equal, for me, it depends.

As far as I can tell, you need to have the Amazon Appstore installed to run the apps you get. That is a big drawback for me.

On the other hand, the Amazon Appstore allows for multiple people to use the same account (I read that Amazon explicitly allows for this). This makes it more valuable to me (two-Android household)... more like Apple's policy.

So, it depends... right now, because I hate that I have to have the Appstore app, I lean towards the original Market, but I truly love the concept of Amazon's offering.

And I bought Quick Office directly from the developer. I was tired of waiting for Docs2Go to go on sale. I am very, very happy with it. The Dropbox compatibility is worth twice the price.

surfingdino

Apr 20, 2011
surfingdino.com
There is some measure of screening for apps in the Market. Not so sure about apps from Amazon, although it may be true.

Android Market has little screening. We can publish an app on it in a couple of minutes. Which is a great thing, btw. Amazon Appstore for Android does have a review process similar to the iTunes App Store.

ShaLea

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought a few apps from the Amazon Appstore & thus far have no regrets. I will say that I often look @ the free app of the day. Some are pretty cool - things that I would not have looked twice at - and others I find useless.

I do find it as a good place to keep all my free apps after changing ROMs. I found that manually reinstalling them provides a better result than using MyBackup JMO.

A coworker also told me that Amazon does more checking/screening of apps before putting them in their market.... I guess to avoid viruses/spam.

FYI, I just ran across QuickOffice Pro for $3. :cool: :cool: idk how long it's available, but I used the free version & liked it better than ThinkOffice and had to jump on it at 70% off.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I use the Amazon App Store for the free paid app of the day only (and since Amazon has been offering very little in the way of worthwhile apps of the day lately I'm barely using it at all). Other then that I stick to the Market. Amazon's DRM is a major drawback for me. The only real advantage Amazon;s store has over the Market is that Amazon seems to keep a tighter rein on things and thus offers greater protection against viruses and malwere and such.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sticking with the Android Market. I don't think the Amazon Appstore is going to go away though. I like the Android Market because there is better feedback (more reviews,comments), and more billing options (carrier billing), plus its nice to throw 30% back to Google.

Mairzee_dotes

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to buying apps (just got my first smartphone). I am confused about payment methods and safety of my files. I read here that you can have the option to pay through your carrier, and yet when I go to pay, that option doesn't light up so I can click on it. My carrier is At&T & I have a Samsung Infuse, so I would think I would be able to pay that way. I am very worried about putting my CC info into my phone, especially since if you click on the app info. as to what they demand in order for you to have it...it says they can have access to everything on your phone and can even change or delete your storage content. What is up with that? Do you guys all have some safer method of paying for these things?

ANDROID__JUNKIE

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to buying apps (just got my first smartphone). I am confused about payment methods and safety of my files. I read here that you can have the option to pay through your carrier, and yet when I go to pay, that option doesn't light up so I can click on it. My carrier is At&T & I have a Samsung Infuse, so I would think I would be able to pay that way. I am very worried about putting my CC info into my phone, especially since if you click on the app info. as to what they demand in order for you to have it...it says they can have access to everything on your phone and can even change or delete your storage content. What is up with that? Do you guys all have some safer method of paying for these things?

If you are truly paranoid about security than honestly Amazon trumps Google, as they have a more thorough screening process and if you don't want your credit card attached than you can buy an Amazon gift-card at almost any major retail outlet. As far as Amazon going away, I doubt that they wouldn't offer the ability to transfer/download an unpacked APK file to secure your purchase if they close the app store.

Unfortunately DRM is something we have to deal with when dealing with both markets... the Android market is just more quiet about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech