Vote for your favorite launcher here

Which Android launcher do you think is the best?

• Total voters

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I listed Sense.....I tried LauncherPro, but got fairly regular FC's, and didn't see the advantages. It seems that folks like LauncherPro, but then replicate Sense's icons and widgets with other 3rd party solutions.

Other than landscape and the 3D drawer, what advantages do folks see in using LauncherPro or other launchers?

There's quite a few actually. With LauncherPro you can add a 5th rom to the homescreens. In the App drawer you can app up to 5 columns in portrait and 8 in landscape. With ADW you can do up to 8 rows on the homescreen and landscape. With Launcher pro you also have a horizontal scrolling customizable deck where you can pick quick launch icons. That's something that I like a LOT. Also the screen transitions from the homescreen to whatever app you chose is also MUCH better. I used to LOVE Sense but the fact that I can get the Sense style widgets including the soon to be released "Friends" widget widget which is basically the Friendstream. Then theres the custom skins you can add and what not. It allows you to really customize your phone and that's the beauty of Android.

DroidGnome

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I listed Sense.....I tried LauncherPro, but got fairly regular FC's, and didn't see the advantages. It seems that folks like LauncherPro, but then replicate Sense's icons and widgets with other 3rd party solutions.

Other than landscape and the 3D drawer, what advantages do folks see in using LauncherPro or other launchers?

The three big items I like in Launcher Pro Plus over Sense UI are:
1) The scrollable dock at the bottom, can place up to 5 shortcuts per dock, 3 docks max. So a total of 15 quick access items. (ADW I believe has an unlimited single scrolling dock). What makes LP better imo, is the ability to ALSO have gesture control on an icon. So one icon in your dock such as the Telephone icon, can launch your dialer when clicked, but launch your contacts when 'swiped' up upon. That way you now have 30 potential actions in 15 slots. While I like ADW's infinite, I find it much more intuitive to swipe up on certain items rather than scroll to another icon.

2) Support for Scrollable Widgets (ADW has this too, but Sense does NOT other than the sense widgets).

3) Ability to place more icons per screen. You can add an additional row in LP vs Sense. (In ADW you can add 2 more columns and/or 4 more rows, for an 8x6 grid!!)

I've honestly been on the fence myself between LP Pro and ADW, but the swiping per icon is what finally sold me. If ADW were to implement that.. I'd probably switch back haha

NOTE: There is one item where Sense UI seems to have a clear advantage in my mind and that's "FriendStream". To date, no other widget comes close with the functionality. Pure Messenger Widget is a great start and a nice runner up, but it lacks several integrations that make Friendstream so nice to use. That's the one Widget I just hated losing. Keep in mind when talking about Sense here, I"m refering to the LAUNCHER.. not the overall Sense integration in a ROM. That for me is a Must. The contact integration and such remain with you even if you use another launcher. (Just don't flash a rom without 'sense' as part of it's code).

Jerzyiroc said:
"Friends" widget
Where I can I find info about this??? Who makes it etc..

Tpain

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Sweeter Home 2 beta!! Launcher Pro plus was a close 2nd, but Sweeter Home 2 is it.

I'm a launcher pro fan, but I'm very intrigued by the possibilities with Sweeter Home. I'm going to have to play with it quite a bit, but I may eventually convert! Thanks for the recommendation!

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I installed LauncherPro Free earlier today. Ten minutes later I bought the full version and now I've turned Sense off altogether. :p I absolutely love it, so much snappier and overall quicker and more responsive. The amount of customization's brilliant, too. I've yet to give ADW a try, might do so later on.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I use ADW launcher with Droid X theme , looks pretty cool in my MileStone
I love the way I can customize it , scroll the menu in both ways (horizental & vertical) , hide the white notficaton tray (if you can't change it , hide it !) , the <transperant> ?not sure of the spelling? main menu
it's way better then the original android app espeically with that gray background , it's very ugly
recently it started to force close some times even though I have the latest update , the one that was released few days ago
the number of the screens is't an a problem to me since I use only 5 screens , but I like the feature of having up to 16 home screens

Last edited:

green

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
This was a hard decision but I vote LP because I like the elastic scrolling. ADW has more options but a lot of them I don't care for and I prefer the app drawer scrolling in LP. Both launchers are better than anything else out there IMO.

Last edited:

relient28

Jul 30, 2010
www.thepointlessarcade.com
Launcher Pro

I really like the look and feel of launcher pro. My only problem with it is that for whatever reason many of my widgets will not work with it. I could potentially just not know what I am doing but I would like to think I do lol anybody else have that problem?

05 TypeS DC5

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
LauncherPro FTW!! i love the ability to change the image of the icons on the dock. also love how you can use it in landscape w/ evo 4g.

santinelli

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I loved Launcher Pro when I was stuck with Sense, but since I'm on SkyRaider Vanilla, I am quite happy with the simplicity of the Generic Android Launcher.

I REALLY WANTED to like Sense, but since it won't go into Landscape mode, which I prefer on my motorcycle or in the dock with the car, I dropped it like a bad habit....

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Launcher Pro is definately my 2nd choice. I do tend to use Sense UI alot just for the kick *** widgets HTC supplies.

Sonicaholic

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It has got to be ADW for me I have sence on my device but don't use it, I have tried launcher pro but I keep coming back to ADW it just has that somethink about it that I can't resist :)

gksmithlcw

Software Engineer
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
For the record -- I voted ADW. Love all the options, and the fact that it's open source puts it over the edge for me.

I may have to give ADW further consideration given that it IS Open Source. However, I voted for Launcher Pro because I think it does the best job of imitating the vanilla launcher while adding advanced features that are found in launchers like Sense.

Reactions: orchidsbloom

Websitey

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
hi guys. my first post here...
to me Slidescreen Pro, looks and works the best. if you're google/twitter user, try it out, you'll have a lot of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy