09-16-2011 06:10 AM
90 ... 234
tools
    Ah... gotta revive this dead thread.

Google Listen has been an absolutely dreadful, buggy podcatcher since froyo was pushed.

It seems every post on their discussion board (listen-discuss | Google Groups) complains about users not being able to register or they're having problems with podcasts restarting at 0:00:00 for whatever reason. The developers don't respond at all to bug reports and the app hasn't been updated in months.

So, my question to you: Which non-Listen app do you use for podcatching?

My needs:
    * Uses Google Reader
    * Downloads podcasts without a synching to a bloated, omnipresent media program.
    * It needs to be configurable so it only downloads when connected to wifi or while the phone's being charged.
    * allows the user to reorder the playlist (Listen isn't too good at this).
    * Playing video would be a plus (Listen doesn't play video)
    09-25-2010 07:12 AM
    Doggcatcher meets all of your requirements. Great app. Well worth the $7.
    09-25-2010 09:10 AM
    Doggcatcher meets all of your requirements. Great app. Well worth the $7.
    How does doggcatcher interface with google reader? I didnt see that on their website.
    09-27-2010 11:18 AM
    Podtrapper is now available for Android.
    I loved it when I had my BB. Missed it when I got my droid.
    Now it's on my Dinc.
    09-27-2010 12:24 PM
    Doggcatcher:

Like: You can play video podcasts as audio only. For me this is a nice plus, because while I like watching the video versions, I sometimes like to multi-task and play the audio in the background.

Like: Nice widget

Dislike: You cannot sort the podcasts alphabetically. Note, you can manually sort the list, but I wish alpha-sort was an option.

Dislike: Seekbar doesn’t indicate where you are in the podcast when you are dragging it to a new time. I sometimes listen to part of a podcast on my computer and then need to find that place on my Droid X. Right now, you need to stop seeking, check your time location and adjust as necessary.

PodTrapper (beta):

Dislike: I was having a problem with video podcasts. They would stop playing when you changed screen orientation. Most of the others that I have tried always display the video in landscape mode (which is fine with me)
    09-27-2010 02:29 PM
    Love DoggCatcher...was on MediaFly for a bit and used Google Listen for a while..but Doggcatcher is most def the one for me...!!!!!
    10-21-2010 06:37 PM
    Has anyone been able to get Listen to work solely with a Google apps account? Currently using BeyondPod because of how Google apps have been neglected in the past.
    MT3GS
    10-21-2010 09:45 PM
    I'm trying to like Google Listen but I'm a bit frustrated that it makes me download each episode individually. I've got both "download on wifi only" and "download while charging only" unchecked. Is there something else I need to do?
    02-05-2011 01:36 PM
    It has a 'download new audio' setting that works for me, but u would also hafta check ur setting for refresh cycle.

Hope that helps!
    02-05-2011 11:07 PM
    There was nothing better ever for Blackberry than PodTrapper by VersatileMonkey. And now it's the best app on my Thunderbolt!
    04-02-2011 02:07 AM
    Doggcatcher is great if you ask me, which the thread title did.
    06-21-2011 12:44 AM
    definitely beyondpod... free but has unlock key for more features- i don't need them, so I stick with the free one
    06-28-2011 06:38 PM
    Seems that folks who listen to more podcast like Doggcatcher more? Would this be the correct assumption?

I coming from iOS moving over to Android. Listen to around 15 podcasts. I used Podcaster in iOS land and was surprised there was no Android version.

Now deciding on whether to use Listen or shell out 6.99 for DoggCatcher
    07-04-2011 10:55 PM
    Hi all,

I'm coming from WebOS and we have something called 'drpodder' and I am looking for something similar to that?

It can download audio and video podcasts and do it automatically.

So what do I use now that I'm coming to Android?

Thanks!

Rob
    09-14-2011 10:38 AM
    Rob, I'm in the same boat as you (getting the Galaxy SII in about 2 hours!!!) and ditching my original Palm Pre. I love Dr. Podder. After reading other posts here, BeyondPod looks promising. It's a combo pod catcher and RSS feed reader that will sync with Google Reader. Look at the video on its Android Market page and see what you think.
    09-16-2011 06:10 AM
90 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD