Why is my Nexus 5's ram in critical state after updating to L?

Keerthimanu Gattu

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Recently I've updated my Nexus5 to android L . I don't even have many apps on my phone . But, to my surprise my N5 is facing many hiccups(the one that happened never on my phone) . I'm really worried about this . I thought update would change my runtime from dalvik to art and it obviously consumes more ram . But recently my free ram is not exceeding 450-500mb . Is there a way to get out my N5 from this critical stage??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Was this an official Lollipop over-the-air update? Or did you install it manually? If the latter, was it still the official update, or was it the Android L Developer Preview?

The Lollipop update does change Dalvik to ART--there is no longer an option to switch between the two in Developer Options.

How are you checking your free RAM? Are you looking at Settings>Apps>Running, or are you using some kind of RAM cleaning app? Don't use the latter, because those apps often take up a fair amount of RAM themselves, and thus report an inflated RAM usage number.

Keerthimanu Gattu

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
It's an official ota update i received and installed.I am checking my ram by going through settings >apps>running as how you mentioned.Even my Keyboard doesn't pop up at all when I am about to enter anything in the text box when i am on chrome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463