Note 3 neo (small brother of note 3 former flagship) - the question which card to buy?

sicunder36

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
actually i am new to the smartphones altogether, and so to the cards that go in them, but i do like speed and smooth functioning.

i often use one or two background applications all the time, and one or two active and interactive apps - for note taking (snotes) and watching videos on the web. taking audio recordings.

given the fact that one can transfer the apps to the card in my phone just like note3 so i am wondering if getting the faster card increase system performance in every day experience.

but as much as i do like power but - but the fact remains my FERRARI (my note 3 neo) will not become a Boeing if i put expensive aeroplane fuel (fast cards) in it instead of plain petrol/gas. And being the affordable lil brother of the flagship - my note 3 NEO is just a relatively faster sporty ford (that too diesel model) compared to the real Ferraris (note3, note 4, note edge and iphone 6plus).

IN SHORT-
are their intrinsic permanent limitations in note 3 neo because of which it actually can not utilize the advantages of fast cards.

presently i am torn between

Samsung 64GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDXC up to 90MB/s with Adapter
vs
Samsung 64GB EVO Class10, MicroSDXC UHS-1, With SD Adapter, 48Mbps,

specs of note 3 neo-

CPU Hexa Core (A15 Dual 1.7 GHz + A7 Quad 1.3 GHZ)
GPU ARM Mali-T624
Software
OS Version 4.2 Jelly Bean ,(Upgradeable to Android Kit Kat 4.4.2)
Operating Freq 1.7 Ghz
RAM 2 GB RAM
Processor Hexa Core (A15 Dual 1.7 GHz + A7 Quad 1.3 GHZ)
Sensors Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Compass, Proximity
Display Type Super AMOLED Display
Size 5.5 inch
Camera
Primary 8MP
Secondary 2 MP Front Camera
Connectivity
Bluetooth Bluetooth v4.0
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n 5GHz
Expandable Memory 64GB
Video Recording 1920x1080 (1080p HD) (30 fps)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
given the fact that one can transfer the apps to the card
Don't ever count on that. Some apps can't be moved. Some won't work from the card, even though they can be moved. (And that's the developer's fault, for not checking, finding out that his app doesn't work from the card and prevent it from being moved.) Some apps can have only parts moved. And whatever is moved to the card, there has to be a link to it in internal storage, so you don't save as much space as you think you will.

i am wondering if getting the faster card increase system performance in every day experience.
To a point, and depending on what you're doing. A U1 (or Class 10) card is good enough for HD video. You need a U3 card (which would be a Class 30 card, if there were such a thing) for 4k video. Other than that, the only need for high speed is transferring files to and from your PC with a USB 3.0 card reader. (USB is faster than a Class 4 card, but slower than a Class 6 card.)

IN SHORT-
are their intrinsic permanent limitations in note 3 neo because of which it actually can not utilize the advantages of fast cards.
No, a U1 card will work just about as fast as internal storage will.

Samsung 64GB PRO Class 10 Micro SDXC up to 90MB/s with Adapter
vs
Samsung 64GB EVO Class10, MicroSDXC UHS-1, With SD Adapter, 48Mbps,
I prefer SanDisk cards. I've had to deal with tech support at both companies and I've already had 2 heart attacks. I don't need Samsung giving me another one. (Their cards are good, their tech support could use lessons from the Marquis de Sade in being nice to customers. Contact SanDisk [live tech support on their website] and you'd swear that they actually care about your problem.)

Either one, though. There are only 2 companies that actually make the chips in those cards - Samsung and SanDisk. Everyone else buys from them. (Are they getting first quality chips or "just barely meets specs" chips? I don't know.)

sicunder36

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed reply. You recommended both in the end and you also believe Note3 Neo given the specifications it comes with has no bottleneck in performance speed. So you are saying the grey (Pro card) wont be wasted on my phone and will be better than the orange (Evo card).
Also from your answer it becomes clear that for shooting, recording and transfering faster a faster Card will be better even if the phone is not so fast. So I was wondering are there other benefits / use scenarios with faster cards like smooth functioning of Heavy apps etc and phone not hanging often or is that a function of internal storage / processor / ram ? Thanks again. I have been wading other forums too, one user wanted to convey that he prefers higher cards for his Dell Venue 8 pro but he did not explain why. Any Idea what he might have meant? Cause I am considering buying a bay trail tab too (if i can find them in India).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez