Storage amount as a deal breaker in a tablet

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I like the Samsung Pro and Tab 8.4 offerings, but a measly 16 gb of storage is a deal breaker, especially as so much of the storage is taken up with crapware. For me at least, 32gb is the minimum I will accept in a tablet. I have two 32gb Nexus 7s (2013) for my wife and I, the 32gb Nexus 10 for my oldest daughter, 32 and 64 gb iPads for my youngest and myself. 16 gb is just a slap in the face these days, and I don't understand why Samsung and others keep offering it as their largest offering in otherwise great tablets!

What does the forum think is the "deal breaker" in terms of storage?

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: RAM amount as a deal breaker in a tablet

You are getting RAM confused with storage. You are talking about the available storage space as being 16GB. The amount of RAM in a device can be anywhere from 1GB to 3GB or more. RAM is random access memory and is used by apps when they open. This is what allows the device to open many different apps at once and allows an app to be able to perform the functions it does.

As far as storage space, 16GB is just not acceptable in my opinion. It has about 13GB of usable space out of the box. Add apps and you most likely have less then 10GB. Some people say they can get by but I would rather not worry about and will never get less then 32GB.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

Agreed, sorry I had a brain cramp there, I meant storage not memory. Yeah 16 gb is just not acceptable when you really only end up with 10 gb left after the crapware is added.

You are getting RAM confused with storage. You are talking about the available storage space as being 16GB. The amount of RAM in a device can be anywhere from 1GB to 3GB or more. RAM is random access memory and is used by apps when they open. This is what allows the device to open many different apps at once and allows an app to be able to perform the functions it does.

As far as storage space, 16GB is just not acceptable in my opinion. It has about 13GB of usable space out of the box. Add apps and you most likely have less then 10GB. Some people say they can get by but I would rather not worry about and will never get less then 32GB.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

Now with the wife and kids using tablets, I see the need for much, much more storage. My wife just filled her 16gb iPhone 5 with photos and wants to transfer them to her Nexus 7 (2013), photos are eating up most of her storage on that device. Same with the kids, using their tablets for all sorts of storage eating things. I am beginning to think 32gb is not even enough, maybe 64 gb or bigger!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae