Can't Move certain apps to the SD card on a Alcatel Onetouch pixi pulsar running V.4.4.2

VinnieHat

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Some apps I can move to the SD card but others I can't.
My phone carrier is: Tracfone
The phone is: Alcatel Onetouch Pixi Pulsar
Phone Version is: 4.4.2... which I think is lolipop
Certain google apps won't move like Google Maps.

I am trying to Download Offline Maps for Google Maps to save data. But i don't have enough storage on my phone. That is why I am trying to move it to the SD card to save space...

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,
Vincent- TechyVinnie13

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Some apps just don't offer that option, it is what it is. Regarding Google Maps, offline maps are always stored in internal storage and deleted after 30 days with no option to download them to external storage such as SD cards, you could try HERE MAPS, an alternative to Google Maps which lets you download full maps (not limited to certain areas) to your SD Card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The reason some apps can't be moved is that the developer checked to see whether the app would run from the card (or used a library known to not run from the card) and found that it wouldn't, so he turned that option off. Better that than being able to move it and have it lock the phone up.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The reason some apps can't be moved is that the developer checked to see whether the app would run from the card (or used a library known to not run from the card) and found that it wouldn't, so he turned that option off. Better that than being able to move it and have it lock the phone up.

great info, also it's worth noting that most apps you can still move in older versions of Android can't be moved to SD Card when installed in Lollipop-Marshmallow devices, I believe Google started restricting SD access with KitKat. I have older phones lying around and they pretty much install apps by default to the SD Card when internal storage is running low whereas my 5.1.1 device won't even offer the option (same app).

VinnieHat

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
okay thanks... I tried HERE maps and it didn't move to the SD card...
Thanks for the info... Oh and BTW my phone cannot reach server when trying to update. Do you know anything about that? Should I start a new thread?

Thanks.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
okay thanks... I tried HERE maps and it didn't move to the SD card...
Thanks for the info... Oh and BTW my phone cannot reach server when trying to update. Do you know anything about that? Should I start a new thread?

Thanks.

Here Maps downloads maps to the SD Card, the app itself is saved in internal storage.

what are you trying to update btw ? the maps app ? your 4.4.2 device ? (4.4.2 is KitKat, Lollipop started with 5.0)

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My device from 4.4.2 KitKat to at least Lollipop

isn't your device a "prepaid Android" phone ? I don't think you can officially upgrade that.

also, with a single-core CPU of 1.3 gigahertz, 4 GB of internal storage and barely half GB of RAM it's not going to perform at all on Lollipop... I don't think it's even capable to run Lollipop to be honest.

But for 30-40 bucks it's an absolutely great device for basic communication and basic apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888