Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pantech Marauder...Root, system dump, and open source kernel...we need a cwm recovery

I just got a Pantech Marauder as an upgrade and I actually feel that its a great budget phone with lots of performance.

So far I've found a method to root this phone:
    1.)Download this zip file: Android Root Unlocker - A script to unlock root superuser in Android. ~ Security List Network™ - ICS Root Unlocker 1.0
    2.)Put your phone in debug mode and make sure its connected to your pc with the drivers installed and run the batch script from the .zip file.
    3.)Your phone should almost immediately reboot when you run the script. Wait for it to fully restart before continuing the script. I believe it resets 3 times during the batch script.
    4.)You now have root access. Use the Play store to update SuperUser.apk and also download and install Busybox from the play store.
    -Thanks to greyishere over at androidforums.com for taking the time to test every rooting app and script out there.

Next I would like to thank ratso1 at androidforums for doing a system dump which can be found here: http://goo.gl/s6edp

Then I went and looked to see if pantech offers the kernel opensource for this phone, and sure enough they do. opensource.pantech.com and sign up.

Now once I got it rooted and installed SetCPU the CPU frequency as SetCPU has it ranged between 384Mhz and 1512Mhz (not 1.2Ghz). Not sure why.

Now that I have rooted and installed busy box I have used Root Explorer to rename all these apk's in the /system/app folder and added a .bak to the filename in order to remove them from android but still have the apk's in case I ever need to reinstall one of them. NOTE: I had to rename Simplehomeinfo.apk to remove that because it had errors once I started removing widgets and wallpapers. I have been using the phone browser and play store, snapped pics, used gallery, and just in general tried to see if I could find any problems caused by something I removed. And everything still seems fine except every app I renamed is gone.

All the APK's I've renamed:
    BooksTablet.apk
    BrowserWidget.apk
    ChromeBookmarksSyncAdapter.apk
    Clock.apk
    ClockWidgetProvider.apk
    DocViewer.apk
    Email.apk
    Exchange.apk
    FriendsWidget.apk
    Galaxy4.apk
    GoogleCalanderSyncAdapter.apk
    GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
    GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk
    Kindle.apk
    LGolf3.apk
    LiveWallpapers.apk
    LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
    LW_MultiPhoto.apk
    LW_PaperArtH.apk
    LW_PhotoMobileH.apk
    MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
    Music2.apk
    NoiseField.apk
    PhaseBeam.apk
    plantsvszombies.apk
    PlusOne.apk
    serve.apk
    Simplehomeinfo.apk
    SkyDeskClock.apk
    SkyDLNA.apk
    StarQPantechWeather.apk
    Street.apk
    Swiftkey.apk
    Talk.apk
    talkback.apk
    TaskManager.apk
    VCAST_TONES_4.5.17-3.apk
    VerizonApp.apk
    Videos.apk
    VisualizationWallpapers.apk
    VoiceDialer.apk
    VoiceSearch.apk
    VVM.apk
    vzw_vnav_7.5.1.108_ADR910L_rel_PROD_signed.apk
    VZWGuidedTours.apk
    WidgetCalendarDay.apk
    WidgetCalendarWeek.apk
    WidgetCalendarMonth.apk
    WidgetPhotoAlbum.apk
    Youtube.apk

My battery life has increased quite a bit using SetCPU with it ranging between 384Mhz and 702Mhz. I would however like to be able to have ClockWorkMod Recovery so I can flash a kernel that allows setting the voltage in SetCPU, and be able to make nandroid backups easily so I can test voltages and be able to restore my phone if I end up with a bad setting.

I need someone with the expertise to help me build a cwm recovery for this phone. Anyone know how to get into fastboot? Haven't tried the adb shell command to reboot into fastboot yet but will later tonight. If I knew how to make a stock recovery backup image and where to find the recovery.fstab and graphics.c files I could build a cwm recovery and figure out how to flash it with fastboot.

I actually seem to like this phone quite a bit now. I will try to keep this thread updated as I figure out more.
    Last edited by freday2005; 10-18-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Pantech Marauder...Root, system dump, and open source kernel...we need a cwm recovery

What is system dump used for?
    Last edited by Eviscerare; 11-07-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Default Re: Pantech Marauder...Root, system dump, and open source kernel...we need a cwm recovery

Can someone reupload the /system dump please? I need the Google Maps and Google Play applications from it. And these must be from the original system dump, not any of the OTA updates.
    My 'droidz:
    Samsung Stratosphere (rooted, TweakStock 1.4), Motorola Devour (rooted, retired), Acer Iconia A500, Coby Kyros MID7022

Does anyone know of a current link for a root unlocking tool? Every search I make has broken links . . . like the ones in the first post.

If you're looking to root pantech marauder, I used kingo root. I head srs root works too.

Thanks and you're welcome if those programs helped you
    Last edited by Darth Spock; 06-14-2014 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Personal Information Removed by Moderators