D2 Pad Rooting and Google Play

urobolus

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Good morning,

I just recently bought a D2 Pad tablet from Big Lots... they were on sale for like $75, so what the hell. Not much info on the device via Google, so here is a link: D2 PAD

Anyway, I have a couple problems with it: 1) came with a bunch of crap on it, so I have to root it and remove all the garbage; 2) Google Play does not run it... it came with 1Mobile Market which I guess only shows free apps and child friendly apps and games. Apparently it was geared more towards little kids given the crap games on it.

Anyway, I can figure out the rooting thing via Google, so my question is more regarding item 2). How can I get Google Play to run on this damn thing? I've tried the newest APK and the newest modded APK which supposedly allows Google Play to run on any Android device, in any region. Neither work. When you launch the app with either it says: "Unfortunately Google Play Store has stopped." However, you can you see it running in the background just fine. When you clear the cache for the Play app and restart device, you can browse for a few seconds, then the warning pops up and it closes.

I want Google Play on this device because some of the games I put on it require it. For example, Iruna with just 1Mobile Market says that "Google Play is out of date" and "to update it." Well, there isn't Google Play.... so what do you do? The latest 1Mobile Market is already on the device. So you download Google Play, launch the game, and you get the "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped" warning and the game closes. If anyone knows how to fix this device so that Google Play will run it, you will be my hero_O:)

Regards,

Uro

Copshorts

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey Uro - I bought it at Big Lots for pretty much the same reason as you - something to play with.

So, here's what I know so far:
1) Go to download the Firmware update, and you get directed to one of two "Full-Speed-For_$$$" websites. That's OK, I have the time. Took the free, ultra slow download (2 hours).
2) While waiting for the download, went to send an email to the D2 support folks to let them know I think it's pretty shabby to offer up support downloads like this. Filled out their web form, and the captcha - hit submit and get "Invalid token." Several tries later, decided there are other ways a hardened geek like me can find them. I will, and I will publish details. Mainly because, now, I'm irritated.
3) Once the download completed, I extracted it, and lo! It's got a trojan horse virus in one of the app files needed to run the upgrade manager. This just keeps getting more fun!
4) Took a close look at the crap I downloaded, and it doesn't look like the infected files get used unless someone actually opens them. Running the app according to the mfr's instructions didn't throw any red flags.
5) Driver issues. Feh. The USB driver included in the package doesn't recognize the device. (WIndows Vista 32 bit OS on my end). Next up - try on Windows 7.

That's where I'm at right now. I've gotta go do some productive things, so will post more after my next round with this thing.

Copshorts

Good morning,

I just recently bought a D2 Pad tablet from Big Lots... they were on sale for like $75, so what the hell. Not much info on the device via Google, so here is a link: D2 PAD

Anyway, I have a couple problems with it: 1) came with a bunch of crap on it, so I have to root it and remove all the garbage; 2) Google Play does not run it... it came with 1Mobile Market which I guess only shows free apps and child friendly apps and games. Apparently it was geared more towards little kids given the crap games on it.

Anyway, I can figure out the rooting thing via Google, so my question is more regarding item 2). How can I get Google Play to run on this damn thing? I've tried the newest APK and the newest modded APK which supposedly allows Google Play to run on any Android device, in any region. Neither work. When you launch the app with either it says: "Unfortunately Google Play Store has stopped." However, you can you see it running in the background just fine. When you clear the cache for the Play app and restart device, you can browse for a few seconds, then the warning pops up and it closes.

I want Google Play on this device because some of the games I put on it require it. For example, Iruna with just 1Mobile Market says that "Google Play is out of date" and "to update it." Well, there isn't Google Play.... so what do you do? The latest 1Mobile Market is already on the device. So you download Google Play, launch the game, and you get the "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped" warning and the game closes. If anyone knows how to fix this device so that Google Play will run it, you will be my hero_O:)

Regards,

Uro

jnee27

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
i bought this device and its defiantly worth 79 bucks,but no its not a nexus 7 i have one of them to only to play horn lol! but for games like angry birds etc works great,Now i now its pre rooted out of box,i went to mobile one and downloaded SU and it was rooted,i just download black market alpha till i can figure how to get google play on their for my apps i paid for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO FAr So good i use this tablet more than my nexus cause its new i guess a lil lagy at times but not bad and speakers r awesomely loud !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

myfishbear

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
i got it all in my d2 pad rom you should try it out:)

-Features-
it has 120 line density
Google play - thanks to vampirefo
Recovery - thanks to vampirefo
WiFi based gps - thanks to jimc3
all the bloat removed
kindle works
removed ugly wallpaper
it has a bootanimation
it has busybox and superuser
new launcher 2 which is snappier
added dsp manager
added inverted apollo
also have an app pack for most files you want to reinstall (like flash player)

the drivers u should use are the stock Google adb drivers found in my hack pack or in the sdk.

you can find it here
or look on xda hxxp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=34168809&nocache=1 (change the xx to tt)

Attachments

• shot_000001.jpg
    shot_000001.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 51
  • shot_000002.jpg
    shot_000002.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 34
  • shot_000003.jpg
    shot_000003.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

braunish

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello there, I got this D2 for the same reasons as everyone else, it was so cheap and looked like it had decent hardware/OS.
Been able to use 1mobilemarket and amazonapp to get all my apps for FREE--don't pay when it's free. Unable to get Google play to work for now.
Was told by D2 that I could not make phone calls from this tablet. THIS IS A FIB FROM A NON-TECHNICAL SUPPORT PERSON FOR I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO MAKE FREE PHONE CALLS AND TEXTS FROM MY D2.
Can listen to internet radio for free with Pandora.
Can watch movies for free with Crackle.
Can text free with TextPlus.
Can make free calls with Groove IP Lite only. Since Groove IP uses google voice I believe, I would set up Google voice account outside of the D2--like set up google voice on a laptop first and use that account when signing on to Groove IP on the D2.
Have used Facebook and Words with Friends apps located at either of the above online stores FOR FREE!!
Just like Vista, Windows7 is not recognizing the d2. Report was sent to windows about new hardware so we will see if we get a new driver soon.
Tried to do firmware upgrade located at site, but was unable to run because Windows7 didn't recognize the d2. Guess I got really lucky if it has a trojan as discussed below.
This is what I've learned thus far in less than a week.
Hope it helps someone.
Any tips on learning rooting or file managing would be helpful.
Thanks and happy learning, lengthy testing, and getting a little frustrated. :)

DavidSouthern7818

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
ok you guys its so easy i just got [][/B][/]it for a trade [][/]some thing for s and giggles just turned it [=""][/]inside oforbthe f@#k of its it andbdid not know where to start erased everybthing started with nothing keeply it works fine got google play iso androidbappsbdownloader.

dfunk98

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I know don't know anything about anything when it comes to doing any of this stuff. I just wanted to get these tablets for my kids (ages 8 and 5), do you think it's worth it? They like to play games, make videos and read books. I want to remove all the crap that it comes with, install google play and some apps. How difficult would it be for someone like me who has little to know experience with this sort of thing?

rbrDS

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I know don't know anything about anything when it comes to doing any of this stuff. I just wanted to get these tablets for my kids (ages 8 and 5), do you think it's worth it? They like to play games, make videos and read books. I want to remove all the crap that it comes with, install google play and some apps. How difficult would it be for someone like me who has little to know experience with this sort of thing?

I bought one for myself to goof with, and was so impressed we went back a few hours later and got one for my 8 yr old for Christmas. I have had no issues finding *anything* on 1Mobile Market - it seems like a portal to Google Play - all the apps I see on Google are on the app market link on the D2. Also, it has Amazon Apps.

p.s for my tablet, I did do some tweaking, because I like to mess around, but for the one for my 8 yr old, I'll keep it standard. In your case, I'd definitely get one, or two...

DigitalMenace

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I get all the way up to the point where you are in the recovery menu. How do I maneuver around the menu? I tried the Volume buttons and touch screen but nothing seems to work. What am I overlooking?

thatdbaclk

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess you get what you pay for (the Box Looked good). I also like to do some fine tuning, since I don't like having to "Root" the Device! Seems as this is the way of the Android world. My Problem is finding the USB Drivers that will connect to Win 7 (64 Bit) or connect to XP Pro 32 Bit! (I don't want to have to try with VISTA). All software being delivered OTA (Over The Air/Cloud), why I don't like rooting the Device! If I'm going to have to ROOT it why not just Sell it to me that way with the basic software and APP Store!

I went to their site and got some Detail instructions that came in PDF File on how to do the Software Upgrade. I called the Number and of Course was put on hold for period of time, I also opened a case prior to calling! Have not received a reply email (would be nice if they tell you to wait 48 Hr's for Turn around, if any).

No one can deliver a Device that fits everyone! Had that problem with one of the First NOOK's that came out! Applications that can not run or work well together! I found that most applications don't stop running, why I like to limit applications I put on the Device! I'm hoping that they Provide us with a USB Driver's that will work for a Window's System! If not at least tell what OS the USB Drivers will work with, since we have work to do before it will work with a MS (Microsoft) OS! I fooled a round with it for while off of WIFI just to see how it would perform!

So COPSHORT can you update us if you got it working or at the very least review their Documentation to see if makes sense.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmm.. Mine came preRooted, I just had to install SuperSu. It is no Nexus 7, but a good tablet for kids. I just installed the Google Market App and then converted it to a system App with Titanium Backup.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

braunish

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
How can one tell if this D2 tablet is rooted or not rooted. I have upgraded using their .iso file downloaded from site.
Have been investigating on how to get Google Play, and I was taking the route that it was already "rooted", but customer service just informed me "It is not rooted."
Please inform, thank you.

braunish

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Have downloaded your 4 files from root: the hax file, your rom, and tools. Have your rom on external sd, have been able to see superuser app. Not able to install the drivers, it keeps the vid3 drivers (win7 bug probably).
What/How do I go about using the hax file, since drivers don't install correctly those batch files don't really work---that's how far I get.
I thought D2 was already rooted but customer service says not, linux are new OS's for me. Where do I go from here? I will look into the win7 issue about not getting the right drivers. Also, would like to keep some of their apps so how difficult is custom ROMs--developer level?
Thank you very much for your response.
Michael

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
First of all customer service doesn't know anything, lol... And second the models that are selling right now are allready updated and are different!!

Ok so what I did is downloaded SuperSu.apk from the Mobile1 market and confirmed it was rooted!!
Next I installed Titanium Backup pro...
I then put the vending.apk(googlemarket) on the internel sd.
Then I used a file explorer(I used ES file explorer) to find the vending.apk and clicked on it to install... Don't open it yet, just install!!
Then I opened Titanium Backup and found the Google Market app, clicked on it and slid my finger to the left which brings up more options... Then I clicked "convert to system app", takes a minute...
Now you can open the Google Market and it will update to Google Play(may take a while to update)

Google Play>> http://lnx.lu/1Bs3

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

braunish

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for your prompt help. Working on getting all the files together, will try to get proper device drivers installed from your post over on xda site, otherwise I get UDISK as the installed drive (get another drive icon with SD card installed when USB connected. Trying to get back to where I was when I saw your SuperSu file last night --can't find app on 1Mobilemarket or Amazon--in Gemini App Mgr found last night, I can make an installed app "autoconfig (boot)" but not sure that is what I am looking for.

braunish

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Should I turn off any of the attributes when making it a sys app? Using Gemini App Mgr and Autoconfig (boot) option thinking it may be same function??

braunish

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind on the gemini app, got the Tit Pro installed :D and market.android changed to sysapp. Have touched Market icon (whtie shopping bag with green droid), said yes to set up account, have been waiting a while nothing has come back

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2