Kyocera rise wont turn on without charger plugged in / Random Reboots

saxrulez

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Our kyocera rise would occasionally turn off by itself. After turning off it would not power on without the charger being connected. I did some reading on virgin mobiles reviews and saw MANY reviews with the same issue. Well I found the problem/solution.

The problem is from the battery fitting too loose and losing contact/shifting. This was resolved by cutting a matchbook cover in half and placing it under the battery. The resulting fit is very snug with no wiggle room at all for the battery and we have been a week now without the issue reoccurring. Prior to this we had the issue multiple times a day.

Hopefully this post helps some people out.

It isn't ideal that these phones can have this issue, however the solution was very simple and the results have been perfect. Love this phone.

Edit: 3 weeks and going strong without any reboots.

Last edited:

beeutifully

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I want to take this time to say Thank you very much for posting this. I am going to be trying it because my Kyocera Rise just started restarting on it's own.

PakiDude

May 4, 2013
Visit site
:DLet me start by saying that I made an account here just to reply to your post.
Thanks so much. This problem was so annoying. I would put my phone in my pocket and take it out a few minutes later only to find that it turned itself off. This would happen about twice a day. To turn it back on, I would have to remove the battery and reinsert it, but that only worked about half the time.
Your solution works perfectly! What I did though is that since I didn't have a matchbook handy, I just used a small strip of paper and folded it over about four times and stuck that under the battery. It has been about a month now and my phone hasn't turned itself off.

CassiJean

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Seriously needed to thank you. I just bought this phone on Friday, and was already irritated by this issue by Monday. I had to Google it, and to my amazement I'm not the only one with this issue. Thank goodness. This solution is working perfectly as of now. Thank you again!

josuegg

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: Kyocera rise wont turn on without charger plugged in / Random

hey I have a question I have a hava a Kyocera rise that just bought it 30 day ago in RadioShack but to the next day the cell phone was heating up and was getting crazy! now I it cannot turns on even with the charger plugged in! and I don't know what to do if I just bought it !

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Kyocera rise wont turn on without charger plugged in / Random

hey I have a question I have a hava a Kyocera rise that just bought it 30 day ago in RadioShack but to the next day the cell phone was heating up and was getting crazy! now I it cannot turns on even with the charger plugged in! and I don't know what to do if I just bought it !

Take it back to Radioshack and see if they will replace it for you. That is very odd that this device won't work after 30-days of useage. Worse case is that they refer you to the carrier or manufacturer.

Kaity Fast

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much! This helped out bunches, my phone doesn't give me headaches anymore, AND it gave us an answer for why my phone was acting wacky.

KallieRenee

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
This was amazing! i had just bought this phone 2 days ago i ALREADY returned one to best buy thinking it was just that phone. but when i got home after 3 hours the new cell phone did the SAME THING. it would work fine in my hands and everything but once i put it in my pocket... poof. it quit. so after long searching the web i found your post and i cant express how thankful i am!! wonderful advice and help! after putting the matchbook cover underneath the battery the phone started right up! thanks again :)!!!

befree_live

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Omg...The same excact thing is happening to me..i was trying to search on google what to do but haven't found anything yet..I just bought it like last month, and now it wont turn on at all...and when I first got it it got crazy overheated too!!! Like not even the charging little light is turning on..I don't know what to do but if anyone knows what to do pleassseee help :(

GratefulDroids

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Am also so glad I found your post. Bought a kyocera rise for my child and within just a few hours of charging up completely, it started shutting off whenever you closed the qwerty keyboard and also wouldn't wake from sleep mode. In both cases, we had to plug back into the charger and push the power button to turn back on. After determining a few hours later that this wasn't some sort of start up glitch, I began searching online for answers. Your post described exactly what we were experiencing, and after also cutting a 'shim' to support the battery, we are back in business! Has been fourteen+ hours now and so far no more issues. Will keep an eye on it to make sure the problem has indeed been resolved, as we are still in the grace period to return the phone if need be, but so far so good. I have a happy camper again and that's more than worth the effort to set up an account here to reply to say thanks!

Seanda Lambert

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Just wanted to say thank you!! I've had this phone just under a week, and 3 days ago was starting to have this problem, multiple times daily. I googled, and saw your post and tried this... and, it worked. Keeps in my pocket now and doesn't shut off :) I love my phone, soo, soo much, thank you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair