Why don't we have a custom recovery or ROM?

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The bootloader is locked down hard. Chances are slim if existing at all. Kyocera is unwilling to assist in the matter.

Sorry guys.

fLHx3.png

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm just curious, I don't own the rise, a freind of mine does though. On the optimus v the bootloader is locked but we're still able to flash a recovery. What makes this possible on the optimus but not on the rise?

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't tell you, honestly. That would require some research. All I can go by is what I have been told, and that is that Qualcomm uses something called "Secure Boot" or SecureMSM that sends you into a nonrecoverable boot loop if you modify the boot partition.

Come to think of it, was the OVs bootloader even locked? If it was, wouldn't we have to had unlock it before flashing a recovery? All I had to do was root and flash, nothing tricky required at all.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that gives me hope is that when I did build a recovery and wrote it to the Rise, it did not send me into a nonrecoverable boot loop. It just reboots once and goes right back to Android. I think it is safe to say that I just did such a horrible job building a recovery, but I don't know for sure.

If I can't find a buyer for mine, I will probably give it another go just to see what happens.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I
I couldn't tell you, honestly. That would require some research. All I can go by is what I have been told, and that is that Qualcomm uses something called "Secure Boot" or SecureMSM that sends you into a nonrecoverable boot loop if you modify the boot partition.

Come to think of it, was the OVs bootloader even locked? If it was, wouldn't we have to had unlock it before flashing a recovery? All I had to do was root and flash, nothing tricky required at all.

The ov bootloader is locked on zv5 and zv9 but unlocking wasn't necessary to flash recovery or roms

Edit thanks for the reply though...
Hmm ok well recovery isn't flashed to /boot then.... Could have a problem with kernels if you can't modify the boot partition though

Tapatalk'n it from my Cold As Ice VM670 running LS670ZVJ firmware

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't even use a standard partition layout. There is no /boot /recovery etc

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the Rise supports fastboot. I did "adb reboot bootloader" and all it did was reboot the phone. If you do "adb reboot recovery", it will reboot to stock recovery. Which is the most stripped down recovery I have ever seen. Not even a option to flash a zip. Just options to factory reset and wipe cache.

Sneaky_1

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Any progress, or is it a lost cause? Seems weird there is no way to either unlock or get cwm. I wonder how many phones there are that are unhackable like this one.

It would be a sweet phone for $30, if we could get an OC kernel. I'm willing to put up $10-20.

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone with a titanium backup files or a copy of the system file, could you send me a copy because I messed up my audio driver with the hp beats audio installer and now I have no sound. I have another guy over here with the same problem. Could you help either of us?

Joseph Hellums

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
i did a lil research and found something that might help if u can build the recovery.... the secureboot can b found in /system it's recovery-from-boot.p just delete or rename it.

Andrew B4

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I downloaded rom manager off the play store and tried to sneak around things by saying I already had cwm installed. Just took me to the stock recovery any way...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams