Grandstream GXP2200 Android Desk Phone

view9234

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm really surprised that no one has commented on this phone yet. I got mine in late November, so it's been out for a least a few weeks. Anyway, I'd suggest we start a sub-forum for it.

I should start by saying that I was expecting this to be a basic Android work phone. Grandstream seems to be marketing the phone for office use, but this phone is the first great desktop Android phone (IMO)--and I think many of us would love it for home use! From what I've found online, I think it's the only desktop Android phone that isn't locked-down, too (all others I found restrict adding apps and/or Google Play Store). The phone comes with Play Store, so once you set it up, you can get any Android app. The phone says it's running on Android 2.3.5 (I didn't realize there was a version above 2.3.3). The touchscreen is extremely responsive and I had a lot of fun testing Angry Birds Star Wars (which works great!) on it. The real reason I wanted this phone (in addition to using it as my primary home office phone) was to see if it would be possible to run Google Voice and make calls from it. To my surprise, it works!!! I should say that there's a caveat, though. I installed Google Voice on the phone without issue and then purchased and installed GrooVe IP which also installed fine (the free version of Groove IP didn't work). The caveat is that I can only get the Google Voice calling to work correctly via speakerphone (I can't figure out how to use the handset). I'm not the most technical person though, so I'd love it if someone else could solve this. Frankly, I just love that I can do VOIP calling to US & Canada for free with a desktop phone! I never thought I'd be able to get Android on a desktop phone and now I can't imagine going back! :D

Here is the official info on the GXP2200 I found on Grandstream's website:
Manufacturer product page

YouTube demo video

gssupport

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello view9234,

We at Grandstream Networks are very happy to hear about your experiences with our new GXP2200 Enterprise Multimedia Phone for Android. We are working very hard to get all the features of a desktop phone to integrate with the Android platform.

Unfortunately in our latest firmware (1.0.1.28) the handset is still only accessible through our dialer application. Any other application can only use the speakerphone or a wired/Bluetooth headset, for now.

If an application doesn't give you the option to swap between the speakers and the headset, there is an option to redirect the audio temporarily. At the ?notification bar? (accessible by sliding your finger from top to bottom on the touchscreen), go to the ?System Settings? tab, and there you will see an option called ?Media Channel?. Toggle between Headset and Speaker(default) when the same function is not working inside an app.

We are also working to publish our SDK so developers can create apps to integrate better the Android Universe with the Desktop/Enterprise phones.

Thanks for your interest, and remember to check our own forums at forums.grandstream.com, which we monitor very closely to help Grandstream users.

nwonline

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Does the Grandstream GXP2200 access Google Voice via the XMPP protocol that apps like GrooVe IP were using to latch onto Voice? When Google went from Talk to Hangouts, they transitioned away from XMPP and will shut it down on May 15th 2014.

So does anyone know if we will be able run Google Voice and make calls from it on the Grandstream GXP2200 past 5/15/14?

Did someone figure out how to use the handset using Google Voice? It was previously reported that it only works via speakerphone.

Thanks to all! Happy New Year!