Virgin USA Rise getting pushed some sort of update

youhsf12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Just came back to the phone to see this...

(then I hit it and my battery is too low to do the update right now so I'm charging it up)

1P4l6

ETA: Doing it now,

had an Android loading screen that looked kind of like recovery for a while, yellow progress bar filled,

now a screen that says "Upgrading to new version.

Please wait...."

Um... it's rebooted about 5 times now....

Android is upgrading... Optimizing application 8 of 63

Well, I dunno what it is,
Android version 4.0.4
Software version 1.004VM
Hardware version 0104
Baseband 1.004VM
Kernel 3.0.8-perf release@release #1 Sat Jan 12 21:34:40 JST 2013
Build number IML77

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. Keep us posted.

Sent from my dirty rainbow unicorn Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD (HorriblyDeveloped)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering if maybe there is an area that needed the baseband changed for signal reasons because that seems to be the only thing the patch did for you.

bmxstud

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I just checked my phone for upgrades and it says i have one also.. hmm
It wasnt automatic. Had to go to system menu and upgrade phone.

i44yf9.jpg

edit: Downloded and reboot and got the error update could NOT be completed. Please contact your service provider.

Think its because im rooted.

oh well :(

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
From a user named lostinmemory @ Android Forums:

I was rooted before the update and I'm still rooted after. I haven't had any problems with the phone or the update. All of my system apps are still on the phone (Activate, Live, etc.) I only rooted so I could use adaway. I can also confirm that this fixes the USSD vulnerability. Overall, the phone feels a little snappier and more stable. This gives me hope for an eventual Jelly Bean update.

I also have the update, and am now definitely headed towards rooting this phone. I've also found over there some folks using the No-Frills CPU app on their rooted Rise phones. That would definitely make me go nuts... max speed is at 1024 GHz according to those that tried it, but with the egl tweaks, that bit of extra CPU speed couldn't hurt! I still have my rooted V if I somehow break it. Just being able to do those two things is enough for me to go root my Rise.

(edited to point at Android FORUMS, NOT Android Central... :p ;))