Leak about Sprint's upcoming event- dual-screened device

ringroadwarrior

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Not Device...Or Plan??

I seen a post somewhere else about the Multimode towers they were talking about late last year. The wording in the article, I think it was in Bussiness Weekly, was,"They were the first with rev-a, first all digital, first with 4G, and the deployment of multi-mode towers would be a huge industry first" Sounds like the wording on the invite that have seen copies of?? Just food for thought.:confused:

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I seen a post somewhere else about the Multimode towers they were talking about late last year. The wording in the article, I think it was in Bussiness Weekly, was,"They were the first with rev-a, first all digital, first with 4G, and the deployment of multi-mode towers would be a huge industry first" Sounds like the wording on the invite that have seen copies of?? Just food for thought.:confused:

If I remember correctly, the plans to deploy multimode towers were part of the plan to shut off iDEN. We know for sure iDEN hasn't been shut off yet.

ringroadwarrior

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

If I remember correctly, the plans to deploy multimode towers were part of the plan to shut off iDEN. We know for sure iDEN hasn't been shut off yet.

Says deployment to start in 2011 with iden to go away by 2013, with a better ptt coming. Says they are re-allocating bandwith for better and more reliable use. Also says stuff about multi-mode chipsets being the wave of the future.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Says deployment to start in 2011 with iden to go away by 2013, with a better ptt coming. Says they are re-allocating bandwith for better and more reliable use. Also says stuff about multi-mode chipsets being the wave of the future.
Right. That is all about the death of iDEN. All the rest of that stuff is just what will replace iDEN when it's gone.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
1. I hope it's not WebOS... I loved it when I was using it, but their app catalog has NOTHING. Well, like less than 10k apps.
2. I hope it's not IOS. I don't care for the iphone. The screen size is the big killer here. Apple always does something wrong, and with phones that are coming out from 4.0" to 4.3", who sticks with 3.5"?

I hope HTC partners up with Sprint to release some dual core love.
If they have a phone with the MSM8x60 chipset, that would be a winner.

That + Gingerbread around July time would be a big win for Sprint, maybe beating out Evo sales.

Because the MSM8x60 chipset would have 1.2ghz dual core. And also Gingerbread would have hardware acceleration. That's all I want. :)

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
1. I hope it's not WebOS... I loved it when I was using it, but their app catalog has NOTHING. Well, like less than 10k apps.
2. I hope it's not IOS. I don't care for the iphone. The screen size is the big killer here. Apple always does something wrong, and with phones that are coming out from 4.0" to 4.3", who sticks with 3.5"?

I hope HTC partners up with Sprint to release some dual core love.
If they have a phone with the MSM8x60 chipset, that would be a winner.

That + Gingerbread around July time would be a big win for Sprint, maybe beating out Evo sales.

Because the MSM8x60 chipset would have 1.2ghz dual core. And also Gingerbread would have hardware acceleration. That's all I want. :)

While that fancy looking phone up there looks like lots of fun, I would foresee problems with many apps not knowing what to do with all this hardware, and even if the software wouldn't have a problem with extra hardware but instead just not utilize it, I don't see too many developers supporting the additional hardware, not until it becomes an industry standard.

All in all, I am with Kedar, just hoping for a super phone of some sort along the lines of the Evo with maybe a 4.5" screen, dual core love, lots of memory....the usual....

Kedar, you like the Snapdragon 2 better than the Tegra? I really don't know what to think yet as far as my favorite between the Tegra 2, Snapdragon 2, the new Ti Omap 4 series, and the Orion dual core from Samsung. We won't know who is king of the hill until phones with each chipset come out, but, really, in the end, they will all be vast improvements over what we have today. I like my Evo, but on many occassions, it just feels too slow. And I want lots of pretty games to play....which is why I am kind of disturbed by Tegra Zone....please don't tell me I have to miss out on some games because Sprint didn't bless us with the option of a Tegra 2 power phone, and we have to "settle" for one of the other dual core chipsets.

In one way I envy iphone owners.....only one phone, and the devs don't have to worry about the Android "F-word".....fragmentation.

I hope they're going to introduce a great phone on at that event, if it is a Tegra 2 1.2 Ghz that can do 3d, I am sold!

digitalfan

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
First off, a duel screened phone would be awesome. It be awesome as a e-book device, it be awesome to view two web pages at the same time (useful if your doing research), be useful in video games (think: Nintendo DS anyone?). A 3D device would also be cool, if done right. First off, you'd be able to watch 3D movies (I like 3D movies done right ... case in point, Avatar). Then the video game possibilities ... again, 3DS from Nintendo. But the navigation of the phone COULD be dramatically changed. Imagine having a camera to detect what your hands do, being able to sit down your device on a table and the menues pop out at you. You can waive your hand to scroll, you can point and touch what you want to select and boom the screen changes. The possibilities are endless.

I am open to the idea of a duel screen or 3D or both phones. It COULD be awesome if done right.

chrisrotolo

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
or here's a way off idea.. what if the two screens seamlessy become one? for an XL display, or 2 small when needed? probably not, who knows..we'll see.:D

ludesleep

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If this phone is going to be a dual screen display..Could there not be the possibility that it might me a folding flexible screen?

thoth12

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Dual screens damn I hope not

I just bought the evo and I love it, but im hoping sprint announces a cool new dual core phone while I can still return this within the 30 days.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
If it really looks like that it's an epic fail.

I have a hard enough time getting excited about a kyocera device as it is. If they put dual screens on it, the least they could do is put them together so they can form 1 bigger screen.

TorgoJohnson

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Found this when searching for Kyocera Echo on Sprint's website:

"The Kyocera Echo smashes the last barrier between you and the ultimate mobile experience. Its unique dual-touchscreen, pivot hinge design gives you all the space you need to run the apps that connect you to the people and information you need every day. Spread your work across all 4.7 inches of combined display or use each smaller display independently to run multiple apps. Closed, the Kyocera Echo is a pocket-friendly smartphone. Open it and expand your world."

Search Results

4.7 inches combined??? I was interested when I first read it was going to 3.5 inches per screen, but unless they can figure out a way to make the screens come together seamlessly, it does not seem to be worth it.

Last edited:

kstagg

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'd give it more cred as a "ultra modern laptop" if it weren't just 3.5" screens. If they were, I don't know - EVO-sized at 4.3" or something, that would peak my interest.

I'm hoping the Kyocera isn't their main announcement.

Could a Palm tablet be forthcoming to Sprint?

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Likely is their main announcement. I smell a KIN-esque fail here. Rumors are that they're also gonna show off their WP7 slider to bolster the event but who knows. Wouldn't surprise me if they did get the Topaz but it wouldn't be this soon- not enough leaks so far. I'm sure they're more concerned with finalizing the tablet that they already announced.

iBowToAndroid

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If it really looks like that it's an epic fail.

I have a hard enough time getting excited about a kyocera device as it is. If they put dual screens on it, the least they could do is put them together so they can form 1 bigger screen.

That's not the actual phone- that's a Fujiutsu device from an Engadget post. But still, can't imagine this thing looking like any level of desirability

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci