Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    stock

Default Leak about Sprint's upcoming event- dual-screened device

Ok I figured I would create a new thread on this due to some info I received today. Yes there are other threads speculating on what Sprint might be announcing on the 7th, but there isn't one that has any concrete device info. Since I believe I have come into some of that afore-mentioned info, I figured I'd get the chatter going and get people's thoughts. So here goes..

-The announcement IS a device- no plan restructuring or anything (like they need more of that with how much they pissed off everyone today with that we're-now-gonna-charge-you-an-extra-$10-for-data-even-though-you're-already-paying-for-unlimited deal.

-It has large screens- think somewhere between the Evo and the Galaxy Tab.

-It actually has dual screens- there's a primary one but then also a secondary screen that flips up from the back, like on a hinge.

-No word on what that second screen does, if it integrates with the primary screen to give you one big screen, or if you can run an app on each, or what. Sorry I couldn't get more details.

-No official word on if it's voice-capable, or if it's some kind of tablet/slate.

Now I know what you're thinking- there have not been any leaks on a device like that at all that we can remember. And I can't either. So if it weren't for hearing it straight from someone at corporate, in-person, I never would have believed it either. Flame me, shoot me down, PM me a death threat, do what you will, but I'm just passing on info I heard and trying to be helpful and get the ball rolling on what will hopefully be an awesome device. I have no reason whatsoever to lie or make this up, so.... Yea

Lots of posts recently have been theorizing that HTC has a 3D device coming out soon- could this be it? It does make sense with them tying in David Blaine to the event- illusions, eye tricks, etc. Thoughts, comments?? Has anyone seen any device rumored recently that this could possibly be??

Your turn
    ghostvzwdev (stock rooted)
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP

Dual screen device..ugh sounds dumb

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    nothing nothing nothing

No, but I'm hoping there is. I don't know what Sprint has up their sleeve - but I'm sure we'll be smiling when any announcement is made.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

hmmmm.... what would be the purpose of a screen that flips out... My initial idea i was thinking about was something like those cameras that have the front facing screen to make self pictures. But if it has a screen that flips out.... i cant figure out how that would be useful. (cringes thinking about a moto flipout like device)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by kcoan3 View Post
    hmmmm.... what would be the purpose of a screen that flips out... My initial idea i was thinking about was something like those cameras that have the front facing screen to make self pictures. But if it has a screen that flips out.... i cant figure out how that would be useful. (cringes thinking about a moto flipout like device)
    The way they told me, it sounded more like it flipped up from the back. I can't even imagine what that would look like or how it would work because I've never seen anything like that. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't swing out like the Flipout, or like the Nokia Twist on Verizon- good god, horrible phone...
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+

I think it would be interesting if it was like, say, the droid. Just instead of a physical keboard, you have another screen that can be a keyboard, trackpad, gamepad, whatever the programmer wants it to do.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iBowToAndroid View Post
    The way they told me, it sounded more like it flipped up from the back. I can't even imagine what that would look like or how it would work because I've never seen anything like that. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't swing out like the Flipout, or like the Nokia Twist on Verizon- good god, horrible phone...
    I hope that HTC doesn't taint there brand... i hope to god its good and they continue to innovate!! (And bring dual core phones to verizon!!!)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
    I think it would be interesting if it was like, say, the droid. Just instead of a physical keboard, you have another screen that can be a keyboard, trackpad, gamepad, whatever the programmer wants it to do.
    That would be pretty epic. Motorola and Sprint seem to have a Nextel-only relationship though. They're the only carrier to not carry Moto Android phones.
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+

This would be interesting but would like to see how they would impletment this. I hope it does not look or function anything like the Moto Backflip line and whatnot.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

A part of me wants to knock the idea of a dual screen.. but I'll hold my opinion on that. The idea mentioned above about the flip screen acting as a keyboard or something would actually be SICK. Almost a ultra modern laptop feel to it (keyless keyboard). But other than that I can't think of anything. But I'm also not making the big bucks for app development lol.
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twitter

PS3- SpiderMonkee

ROM
    4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

I remember seeing a phone at CES that had a clear flip screen that covers the front screen, and turns the front screen into a 3D one. Just my guess.

Could it be this Acer dual-screen laptop/netbook thingie that Microsoft's Major Nelson twitted about during CES ( on 1/6) ? I could see the top screen (presumably non-touch) folding back so that the bottom touch screen (showing the virtual keyboard in the photo) becomes a tablet.

My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.

^^ that is just sick...

btw... is this soon to be announced device definitely Android?
    How to flash a rom on your htc Evo
    Proud owner of a CR-48--My review of my CR-48

iPhone > Instinct > Hero > Evo 4G > Evo 3D

Evo 3D OOWNNSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twitter

PS3- SpiderMonkee

They are announcing a push to talk tablet.
    • I don't know who u are, I don't know what u want. If u are looking for a ransom, I can tell u I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills that I have acquired over the course of watching Chuck Norris in Walker, Texas Ranger, skills that make me a nightmare for people like u.

• I am not Neo, but I am still the One.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Ugh. I see no value whatsoever in a dual screen, flip screen or 3D device; Gosh, I can't even stand 3D movies! Sprint would do well to introduce a stunningly stylish well-crafted limited edition device running Gingerbread and one that offers improved build quality, and improved screen performance.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by GooberVox View Post
    I remember seeing a phone at CES that had a clear flip screen that covers the front screen, and turns the front screen into a 3D one. Just my guess.
    That would be win- got a link to a review at all??

Quote Originally Posted by RichardClark View Post
    Could it be this Acer dual-screen laptop/netbook thingie that Microsoft's Major Nelson twitted about during CES ( on 1/6) ? I could see the top screen (presumably non-touch) folding back so that the bottom touch screen (showing the virtual keyboard in the photo) becomes a tablet.

I don't think so- it's definitely not a netbook or laptop-ish device, and they said the screen is smaller than a Tab..

Quote Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post
    They are announcing a push to talk tablet.
    Lmao

Quote Originally Posted by ro1224 View Post
    Ugh. I see no value whatsoever in a dual screen, flip screen or 3D device; Gosh, I can't even stand 3D movies! Sprint would do well to introduce a stunningly stylish well-crafted limited edition device running Gingerbread and one that offers improved build quality, and improved screen performance.
    +1
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+

Well I'm not sure if I should get excited or not. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

I have this feeling that this has been done somewhere, and it wasn't that great.

I think it would be awesome if a flip out screen created one large screen. A phone that turned into a tablet for certain functions (ie movies,kindle,etc).

Sent from Evo rooted

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Pmacizzle View Post
    I think it would be awesome if a flip out screen created one large screen. A phone that turned into a tablet for certain functions (ie movies,kindle,etc).

Sent from Evo rooted
    Oh my god! A phone that turns into a tablet! That would be AWESOMENESS

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

I want a 7" tablet that is also my phone. I will keep it in my pack but use one of those watches to see txts,emails,sports scores, & take calls etc...
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

ROM
    stock

Imagine a phone with a slide-QWERTY that had another screen flip out on a hinge to be more tablet-sized when you wanted it. And then you had the option of still using the keyboard, or sliding it back under the main screen and just using the touch screen. It'd be the freakin Transformer of phones lol
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+

I used to work at Sprint, and I have some friends that still do. Only one knows what they're launching and he won't tell me. What he WOULD tell me is that it's not a 3D device. He actually went to a tech convention of some sort last year and saw a glassless 3D device - even posted how cool it was on Facebook - but he told me it absolutely is not that.

Dual screens? That could be...

I need to go bother him again!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

ROM
    stock

Not 3D- good to know. We can cross that one off. And granted, it is a little early for that kind of thing to be popping up already- probably more towards the end of the year, but if it was 3D, I was expecting them to show off more of a working prototype, and then release later in the year, like they did with the Evo.
    m7wls (stock rooted)
    manta (stock rooted)
    Follow me on Twitter
    Email/GTalk
    Google+

Quote Originally Posted by iBowToAndroid View Post
    Imagine a phone with a slide-QWERTY that had another screen flip out on a hinge to be more tablet-sized when you wanted it. And then you had the option of still using the keyboard, or sliding it back under the main screen and just using the touch screen. It'd be the freakin Transformer of phones lol
    I'm on the verizon family plan so it makes no sense to go to another carrier money-wise. BUT, if it were something like this, I would not -care-. This would be freakin incredible.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast