Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    NexsMod 5.0.4

Default Opinions?

What are your opinions on this? It seems to me this phone will attract kids, anyone else agree? Although the design is cool, it looks like a 7 year old made it. I think Nintendo is going to be quite angry. And guess what, Sprint stocks are down from this. S - Sprint Nextel Stock Research - Stock Quotes, Charts, News and Analysis

I'm thinking that even my teenager has better taste!

Sent from my eVo
    ......posted from something made by Apple!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    NexsMod 5.0.4

Haha, I'm a teen too and really into Android and phones and stuff. I have been coming up with a concept design(since last week) to beat this phone.
    Last edited by area223; 02-08-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: English Grammar -__-

I kind of like it. I don't feel any sense of urgency about having a dual core, and would find more effective multitasking more compelling. I'll have to see it first, but I think it's a pretty neat concept.

Quote Originally Posted by bujin View Post
    I kind of like it. I don't feel any sense of urgency about having a dual core, and would find more effective multitasking more compelling. I'll have to see it first, but I think it's a pretty neat concept.
    ^^this. It has the potential to be a heavy email users dream (that's me -- ~500 on an average day). My real problem was they way this was presented as the best thing since sliced bread, complete with magic and techno music.

People will buy it, either because they see a use or because they are a sucker for gimmicks, but NOT because there was an over-the-top event in NYC.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Marketing this device to teens might work. But based from the marketing so far- hey are showing this device as a ground breaking device and not a teen phone. Also with the experia play (which is basically going to be a teen phone) I just don't see the echo managing to capture that crowd.

ROM
    Synergy Nightly

The fact that it has the same processor as the OG EVO,no 4g radio, no FFC made my decision for me. The Dual screen has potential if the rest of the hardware could have been up to par. To me, the dual screens is more useful than a physical keyboard. If it would have had the 4g and same processor as the Shift 4g it may have been worth atleast looking at and listening to the reviews when they come out.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    NexsMod 5.0.4

I see where you are all coming at, emails and stuff would be a plus like you have said. I think the Sony PlayStation phone will do better then this, I can see this phone as a potential to replace a Black Berry for business people.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by area223 View Post
    I see where you are all coming at, emails and stuff would be a plus like you have said. I think the Sony PlayStation phone will do better then this, I can see this phone as a potential to replace a Black Berry for business people.
    I don't see that either. A lot of people have BB because of the key board, for its robust messaging capabilities and its simple form factor.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I, for one, welcome our new alien overloads.

I mean .... I LIKE IT. A LOT. Really. I've been telling people for years that tablets are a passing fad, because they're too big to fit in your pocket and just as expensive as laptops .... and that they'll only become a true success if they could fold in half to be pocket-sized or if they become inexpensive enough to be a casual purchase. Now, with the ECHO, the folding aspect has come true.

Of course, if Apple did it, then the hinge would be so well designed that it would virtually "disappear" when both screens are in joined-mode.

So I really am psyched about the Echo. I love the idea of having a smartphone that essentially unfolds into a tablet ... or is it a tablet that folds into a smartphone?

Only problem is, as a Treo-turned-BlackBerry guy, I'm not sure about giving up my precious physical keyboard. (Anyone know if it can run Swype?)

I also loathe the idea of having to open a phone app, vs. on the BlackBerry where I can just pick it up and immediately dial -- it is, after all, still primarily a TELEPHONE to me. (Is there a way in Android to make the dialer into my default homescreen?)

Anyway this is the first touchscreen device for which I'd seriously consider giving up my BlackBerry, because its unique feature is extremely compelling to me.

I happen to already be a Sprint customer, so that's a non-issue.

Hmmm ... since it doesn't have a 4G chip, could I get out of paying the extra $10? Seems fair, right?

Does anyone know WHEN this device is going to be for sale?

PS - Yes it's an ugly-looking phone design. I don't care. I'm not trying to impress anyone. The screen should "wow" people enough.
    Last edited by magicrat; 02-08-2011 at 07:45 PM.

Well, magicrat, I was a Treo and Pre guy for years and years, and thought I'd never get over a real KB. After 6 months with my EVO, I have no desire to go back. If an old guy like me can change, there's hope for you!

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Yeah but the Pre keyboard is crap. Treo's keyboard always felt solid and clicky to me; I tried a Pre and it was soft and mushy. That was one of the reasons I got a BlackBerry (and at the time I thought, "How will I ever live without a stylus and my trusty old Palm III apps!?) I am a very serious email user. When my first BlackBerry broke, I tried the Samsung Moment, and returned it the next day for another BlackBerry -- the keyboard was THAT bad and I couldn't get the Moment to sync with my computer. However I am willing to give Android another try if my reservations can be addressed ..... I don't mean to sound like a pro-RIM troll it's just that I need a phone in which the tech doesn't get in the way of me doing real work.

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

i like the idea, but the specs for it does not warrant the over the top announcement that sprint made it out to be.

it's a good concept to build on. i like the idea of having a second screen that can be made into a utility pad (e.g, keyboard, gaming pad, drawing pad, etc.) once they are able to make both screens thinner, better hinge, better battery (or two batteries, one for each screen), better processor and graphics engine, software and apps....look out.

ROM
    Synergy Nightly

First, you do not have to open it to dial a number. The way the hinge works is that there is always an outward facing 3.5 in screen. If you are doing something that you could use the extra screen then you could pop it open to have either multiple apps or one app across both screens. For dialing there would be no need to do this. Matter of fact there would almost never be a need to do that unles you are a super texter or very high web-e-mial user.

Second yest swype can be used on the keyboard. It was mentioned in the Video posted of the device here at androidcentral.

For most the device is not worth it and most would rather have an OG Evo, with the same processor .2 in smaller screen when the kyocera is opened and the EVO with no line through the middle of the display. That is not even mentioning the 4g capability or the Camera all at the same price or cheaper...

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav22 View Post
    First, you do not have to open it to dial a number. The way the hinge works is
    You misunderstood me. I'm asking if there's a way in the Android software to just pick up a device and start dialing, like I do on my Blackberry. (I guess that means it wasn't an Echo question; just an Android question.)

Quote Originally Posted by magicrat View Post
    You misunderstood me. I'm asking if there's a way in the Android software to just pick up a device and start dialing, like I do on my Blackberry. (I guess that means it wasn't an Echo question; just an Android question.)
    This is hijacking this thread but...

Well Yes and no. First I don't want to ever own a phone that will just pick up and start dialing. That's called ****-dialing. That's what screen-locks prevent. There are apps to disable the screen-lock but your friends will hate you.

Also you don't want the phone app running non-stop in the display unless you are on a charger. So put it on a charger or USB with the phone app up. When you pick up just start dialing.

Really the answer is that everyone is trying to get away from having to dial anything. In your car, just long-press Search and say "Call Magicat".

Now, lets return to the most amazing, most magical new phone of 2011, the Kyocera Echo! The next step in the evolution of phones!
    Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I don't want to ever own a phone that will just pick up and start dialing. That's called ****-dialing. That's what screen-locks prevent. There are apps to disable the screen-lock but your friends will hate you.
    Before put my BlackBerry my pocket, I just press the physical "standby" button. Instant screen lock. Press it again when I take the phone out of my pocket. Ready to use and no ****-dialing.

Also you don't want the phone app running non-stop in the display unless you are on a charger.
    Really? I didn't know Android is that sensitive. On my past Treos and BlackBerrys, including my current one, it's a non-issue. * Of course * the "phone app" is always instantly available .... it's a cell phone remember?

Really the answer is that everyone is trying to get away from having to dial anything.
    I should have said "call" not "dial" .... most of the time I pick up my BB and just type the first two or three letters of a person's name until it finds the one I want, then I press the green physical 'call' button.

I'm not trying to be a BB troll, honest. I really am intrigued by the idea of an open-source touchscreen phone. I just didn't realize there are so many drawbacks to the OS.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    NexsMod 5.0.4

I had a Black Berry Curve and I really liked it, then I got the Samsung Impression now I have the Captivate. I can see where you are going with the ability to type with a qwerty keyboard, but I have been using a touch screen device(itouch) for 3+ years and I don't have any problem typing on an only screen, sure its nice but I don't miss it. I **** dialed nobody with my BB.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

"**** dialing"?? Now that is a term that should be included in Android dictionary.

Back to the Echo, to me the issue with the device is that it being marketed as "the next great thing". Which it is not, not the case for me.

To me this device is revolutionary if it has a folding screen and not two 3.4 screen with a dividing line in the middle. I can imagine porting an app to the echo will a pain if the developer want to use both screens at once. For example fruit ninja, how would a user be able to cut those fruits smoothly when their finger hit the screen divide. Or that new neat function of honeycomb where the user can highlight a email on their inbox and drag it across the screen. How would it work in the echo when you have to move the highlighted email from one screen to other.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

ROM
    NexsMod 5.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Ronindan View Post
    For example fruit ninja, how would a user be able to cut those fruits smoothly when their finger hit the screen divide.
    I'm thinking this is where Samsungs Super Amoled flexible display comes in?

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by area223 View Post
    I'm thinking this is where Samsungs Super Amoled flexible display comes in?
    Yeah, if the echo has a flexible screen I will buy it for sure-- full price. But sadly flexible screens are still in the R&D stages. And I think HP and Samsung are the two companies so far that showed they are active in the development of that technology and not Kyocera.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 02-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

ROM
    NexsMod 5.0.4

I didn't mean to put a frown face, Sony also has flexible screens but I am not sure if these screens are touch screens.

ROM
    CM 6.1

This Phone is awful!!! Its last gen tech!!! I want dual core and 4g not some gimmicky dual screen do sprint remember that junk UpStage they Crap out. Yeah it had two screens as well. Hey Sprint Stop trying to be first and try to be the best. Right Now you have two kick *** phones VZW has four. Get off your butts and pull out something good. My Hero is Rooted to the Max and I want some new gen tech!!!

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Well, I guess I'm in the minority here...but...I can see myself using this phone. Going to have to wait and see if Sprint picks up the Pre's, but if not, this would be a good compromise for me.

I often have to sit for hours at swim meets, basketball tourney's, etc, etc. Having this would be a great portable compromise for surfing the web, playing games, etc, while waiting for the kids's turn.

iPad's are pretty popular at these events, but I see their owners constantly stressing over it getting stolen, or broken, etc. With this phone, I can just fold it backup and back in my pocket, no worries.

The extra battery would also be great to have along. So yeah, I can see it.

Now...that said...if Sprint gets the Pre 3, I'll most likely go that route for the integrated experience with the Touchpad.

I will need to see one & try it out first...and we do get 30 days with Sprint to return it...so that's a definite plus.

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dorelse View Post
    Well, I guess I'm in the minority here...but...I can see myself using this phone. Going to have to wait and see if Sprint picks up the Pre's, but if not, this would be a good compromise for me.

I often have to sit for hours at swim meets, basketball tourney's, etc, etc. Having this would be a great portable compromise for surfing the web, playing games, etc, while waiting for the kids's turn.

iPad's are pretty popular at these events, but I see their owners constantly stressing over it getting stolen, or broken, etc. With this phone, I can just fold it backup and back in my pocket, no worries.

The extra battery would also be great to have along. So yeah, I can see it.

Now...that said...if Sprint gets the Pre 3, I'll most likely go that route for the integrated experience with the Touchpad.

I will need to see one & try it out first...and we do get 30 days with Sprint to return it...so that's a definite plus.
    You are braver than most, if you really going to spend money and time on this version. I have a feeling I would be too frustrated with it as I very much doubt it'll be as smooth as they make it out to be. Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast