Gingerbread installed today!

spensergig

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this means that the update has been released again, but when I checked for an update about an hour ago, I was told that a "firmware update" was available.

I downloaded and installed it, with no problems. (I did turn on wifi and plug in the charger to try to minimize any issues.)
Took about 20 minutes altogether - long enough for my morning shower and getting the dogs ready for their walk.

Checked the software version, and it is 2.002SP, version 2.3.4, Build Gingerbread.
Kernel is 2.6.35.7-perf-release@release #1

:D:D:D:D:D:D
--------------------------------------------------
Edit:

This is a new, 1 week old phone, with almost no extra apps installed.
I had noticed some minor freezing issues when playing Angry Birds, so I'll be watching to see whether those problems are gone.

monil

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this means that the update has been released again, but when I checked for an update about an hour ago, I was told that a "firmware update" was available.

I downloaded and installed it, with no problems. (I did turn on wifi and plug in the charger to try to minimize any issues.)
Took about 20 minutes altogether - long enough for my morning shower and getting the dogs ready for their walk.

Checked the software version, and it is 2.002SP, version 2.3.4, Build Gingerbread.
Kernel is 2.6.35.7-perf-release@release #1

:D:D:D:D:D:D
--------------------------------------------------
Edit:

This is a new, 1 week old phone, with almost no extra apps installed.
I had noticed some minor freezing issues when playing Angry Birds, so I'll be watching to see whether those problems are gone.
thats some good news. My phone is also a week old. But, i did not see any update come along as such...

n8littlefield

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Did the update too - was a bit hesitant after my last misadventures in updating, but it went through fine. It added the Eco widget which I haven't played with yet, updated my market to the new swanky one and pinch to zoom works in the default browser (I think I still prefer Opera though).

Yay Gingerbread!

Odd question - I was wondering if maybe this update handles memory better and might allow some non-supported games like Plants vs Zombies or Peggle to play. Does anyone know a way to get Amazon to send those apps to "unsupported" phones? I own then, just can get it to let me download them.

Last edited:

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Lucky!! I have no update available yet. First time I did it I got my echo bricked.

Xoom: Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked at 1.5, and on Tiamat 2.1.0 Tachi

Kyocera Echo: Waiting for 2.3 fix.
Source Code Released!!

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Got an email from kyocera today saying gingerbread was coming in waves for the next few days. I hope its soon, I wonder if I should unroot.

Motorola Xoom 3g: Unlocked, Rooted, and on Tiamat 2.1.0 Tachi.

Kyocera Echo: Rooted and waiting for Gingerbread.

Cloud_9

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Dear all of you that received OTA Gingerbread,
please confirmed that ur echo is rooted or not? if it's not rooted, is Z4root still works on it?

Please advise..thanks ;)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Sprint forums confirm new rollout. Hopefully they made a fix by analyzing dumps from dead hardware.

I'll probably go ahead with this on F-R-Y-E-D-A-Y-E - F-R-Y-E-D-A-Y-E assuming summat else does not first explode among early adopters.

salpiche

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Dear all of you that received OTA Gingerbread,
please confirmed that ur echo is rooted or not? if it's not rooted, is Z4root still works on it?

Please advise..thanks ;)

Mine was rooted, I unrooted and installed upgrade, now z4root will get stuck on Attempting to apply root...

sabbys

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
z4root only worked for Froyo. It does not work for Gingerbread. After over a week of looking I have not found a replacement yet. Gingerbreak does not work. And at least two versions of SuperOneClick does not as well.

sabby

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Any chance of this working on a phone that stays rooted for update? I got the option to download it but was going to wait to see if anyone else tried it.

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Any chance of this working on a phone that stays rooted for update? I got the option to download it but was going to wait to see if anyone else tried it.

You can try, I don't think anyone else has. Life without root is horrible, so hopefully we can find a way to restore it.

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
15 bucks for a home screen launcher, no way. It may look cool but I dont think so. What does spb shell 3d have to do with rooting anyway?

Xoom: Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked at 1.5, and on Tiamat 2.1.0 Tachi

Kyocera Echo: Waiting for 2.3 fix.
Source Code Released!!

Cloud_9

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Dear all,
As i'm afraid of, the echo with 8507 error code can't be upgrade to gingerbread via OTA !!
Looks like i have to stuck with this froyo s**t, and hope that there will be custom ROM which can be applied by recovery menu :(
someday..

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I got that error code on my first echo. Went to sprint store and they couldn't fix it so they gave me a new one.

I thought that error code was because of the update. If you got that error code I wouldn't think your phone is working anyway.
What would be better, a rooted echo on froyo or an unrooted echo on gingerbread?