MetroPCS LG Optimus M

andyo70

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just launched 5 days ago so not much info on it. Not much info on here about any phones not carried by the major cellphone companies. I picked one up. Works great. Seems nice and fast. Only downside is even though the phone is 3G capable MetroPCS offers no 3G service and just only just recently rolled out 4G service for one of it's new devices, the Samsung Craft which is not an Android phone. Don't know if this will change or even could be changed in the future with a software update. So I'm stuck at crappy 1x data speeds. It does have Wi-Fi though. Anyone else have one of these because it seems no ones interested in any of the no contract providers.

andyo70

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Just to update. I was reading up on some things. Turns out this handset can be rooted. System seems to be very similar if not identical to the Optimus S aside from all the MetroPCS branding. I rooted mine with z4root. Superuser and Root Explorer installed. Successfully replaced the stupid "Hello hello hello" crap it plays on startup with the DROID sound and replaced the boot animation. Only thing else I'd like to do is get rid of the default MetroPCS splash screen that is displayed when it's playing the Droid sound. Found about 12 .RLE files in a folder called bootimages but am unable to create one nor am I absolutely sure that any of them are the splash screen I'm referring to.

andyo70

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hmm..lots of looks but nothing to say. I wish I knew what I was doing in order for a custom ROM/recovery to be developed for this phone. Are there certain files that can be taken from this device that anyone could do anything with? I've got zero programming knowledge and only figured out the aforementioned modifications I've already performed from what I found on the internet.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I just got one today on T-Mobile. So far I'm really liking it. The size is nice and compact and it does what I need it do. I'm loving Froyo.

brucewagner

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I just bought one today. Before I bought it, I played with it for an hour -- alongside my Motorola Droid on Verizon -- in the MetroPCS store.

I love MetroPCS's service. And $50 per month including tax... well that's Awesome!

This phone will save me about $90 per month. That's $1,080 per year.

It will pay for itself in 2.5 months... in savings.

Not to mention Nationwide access. And unlimited Everything.

I think it has a better camera than the Motoroloa Droid. I tested it in the store.

It comes with Swype keyboard. Awesome!

I will be using BOTH the Verizon/Motorola Droid AND the MetroPCS/LG Optimus M.... just to compare and contrast them.

Whichever one I like least... will be a gift to a friend. :)

jvilly92

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
That phone is a really cool phone because of no contract. And its not slow. I thought that it would be a crappy phone because it is on metro but my dad got it and it goes almost as fast as my HTC incredible. Anyone that has metro should definitely get this phone without a question

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

brucewagner

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Saving $1,200 per Year Now

First, I calculated wrong... including all taxes and everything... I will be saving $98 per month... by switching from Verizon to MetroPCS with this phone.

$100 PER MONTH. That's

$1,200 PER YEAR. Folks.... That Matters. :)

Secondly, I have been doing a two-hand test since I bought it --- with the Verizon Motorola Droid in one hand, and the MetroPCS LG Optimus M in the other hand... and guess what...

In many cases, the MetroPCS Optimus M is faster. And better.

I test playing YouTube videos. Web page loading. Taking photos with the camera. Taking videos with the camera. Sending an outgoing email. Receiving an incoming phone call while LOADING a web page at the same time.

There have been many times when I have NO SERVICE on my Verizon Droid, yet I do have service on my MetroPCS. It's amazing. I am so happy I bought it.

$1200 a year in enough to BUY FIVE MORE AS GIFTS FOR 5 FRIENDS... and still have $55 left over in my pocket.... for the same amount as I was paying Verizon in a year's time.

jessiek78

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
@ andyo70

hello! I saw in ur post that you got rid of the "hello hello hello" at the star-up of your phone.....can you tell me how you did it? I have the LG for about a week and haven't been able to figure out how to change that. Thanks! ;)

brucewagner

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I am proud to own and support MetroPCS. So I, for one, will NOT be removing the MetroPCS branding... and startup sounds.

I am, however, upset about some of the MetroPCS pre-installed apps -- which cannot easily be un-installed -- especially the one I consider to be ADWARE, called MyExtras.

The MetroPCS MyExtras app pops up with ads randomly throughout the day!

I contacted MetroPCS about those apps, and I was IRATE! They are doing their best to rectify the situation. I gave them HELL for having those adware apps preinstalled on MY new phone! They instructed me on how to disable the messages.

You have to go in to the MyExtras app, enter your zip code and birthdate, then:

Menu-->Metro Messages-->Off-->Save
Menu-->Bonus Messages-->Off-->Save

This REALLY pissed me off even more! There's no other way to unisntall it, or turn it off, than to do this.

Also, WARNING, if you go into the app again in the future, the defaults of those "messages" are automatically turned back to ON again!!!!

This REALLY PISSED ME OFF, MetroPCS!!!!!! FIX THIS NOW!

Hopefully, soon they will:

(1) Provide instructions on how to remove all their crapware apps from my phone, and
(2) STOP pre-installing crapware on the new Android phones they are selling!

BAD BAD BAD PR MISTAKE!

Italeki

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the information on the LG Optimus M. I'm canceling my contract with AT&T and getting the MetroPCS phone. My friend has been with this carrier for about 3 years with absolutely no problems. And he only pays $50 a month for unlimited everything. I'm having problems locating a MetroPCS retailer who has this LG Optimus M phone in stock. I'll continue trying. P.S. Andyo70, is the phone fast enough? Is it even faster with the rooting you did?

brucewagner

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It's FASTER than the Motorola Droid OR the HTC Evo (without rooting it)!

It's FASTER than the Motorola Droid OR the HTC Evo (without rooting it)!

Also.... If you want a great dealer, who has it in stock, I recommend my good friends, Mark & Mike, at MetroPCS of Manhattan. 212-265-2520

Tell them Bruce Wagner sent you... They'll give you free stuff. :)

jvilly92

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't think its faster than the evo maybe Droid Idk. My dad has the phone and its not no way near faster than my phone and I have the incredible. It takes forever to download apps and surf the web

But The carrier is cool because u only have to pay around 50 dollars for unlimited everything. I would recommend this phone to anyone who has metro

jvilly92

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for all the information on the LG Optimus M. I'm canceling my contract with AT&T and getting the MetroPCS phone. My friend has been with this carrier for about 3 years with absolutely no problems. And he only pays $50 a month for unlimited everything. I'm having problems locating a MetroPCS retailer who has this LG Optimus M phone in stock. I'll continue trying. P.S. Andyo70, is the phone fast enough? Is it even faster with the rooting you did?

Y don't you try the website and order it online

Italeki

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I just found a place and bought the LG Optimus M! It's really good, but a little slower than the Captivate that I'm selling. Would rooting the LG Optimus cause it to go faster? Is it possible? What website do you recommend? Thank you!

comk4ver

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
3g confusion?

okay here's the story:

my friend called the corporate number for metro pcs and they claim that the optimus is a 3g phone. however, when we went to several stores and check out employee's phones who had the optimus. We asked them if they had been able to be on 3g everyone said no. Added detail the display for the optimus has a 3g icon. When we called back corporate and they claimed that because metro pcs has sprint towers now they have 3g capabilites for their phone. when i go home i thought that the solution was to move the mobile network from home to roaming. Today we went back to the same metro pcs store and asked the same employee to change her mobile network settings from home to roaming and it still didn't work.:confused: Has anyone bee able to get on metros supposed "3g" network? Also, we went to a corporate sprint store that also carries boost and virgin mobile phones to check out their prepaid phones. the rep claimed that the internet speeds for boost, virgin mobile and even nextel are not that fast even though they run off the sprint network. Anyone know of a good prepaid/no-contract android phone?:mad:

Phones Ruled Out Prepaid Android:
LG Optimus
Motorola i1
Samsung Intercept

Brometheus

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
problems

i just got my Lg Optimus M and not a day has passed and im already having a problem. i dont know if its because the girl didnt program it right or i didnt let it charge to 100% but when i receive a call and that person hangs up first.. my screen goes blank. when i receive a call and the phones on the charger and they hang up first, it goes blank and i cant press a button to bring up the home screen. the buttons light up though so i know the phones still on. then i have to take out the battery to restart the phone. could this be fixed? do i need to take it back to them?

irongiant369

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Metro Optimus M

I got this phone going on 3 weeks now, i haven't got any major issues with it, only when i got it, the girl at the metro pcs store didn't program the phone correctly so i wasn't able to get internet, i had to call the next day, she then walked me trough reprogramming the phone, and internet worked after that, only problem is I'm stuck on edge, cant get 3g even thought the phone is advertise as a 3g phone now i'm stuck with the phone :( is a shame because is a nice phone, is fast, not alot of memory but is ok with froyo i can move applications to the sd card.

ballroomdru

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Ok. I am looking to maybe switch to either Metro for the money savings. I am deciding between the LG Optimus M and the Huwai Acent. Even though the Accent is $150 less I am thinking that the LG as Android 2.2, which apparently makes a huge difference in performance. Other than those two difference, what really sets these phones apart from each other? The accent has a bigger screen I know. Opinions?