How to Root the Echo

Polaris96

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know how long rooting should take? I've got Z4 running now. I chose "permanent root" and the info is "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..."

It's been running for about 3min. is this normal?

channing21

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Soo I kinda sound like a phone noob and I guess I am because the echo is my first android phone. I just wanted to ask what exactly does rooting do for the phone and the pros and cons of it, and how hard is it to root a phone. Thanks a lot whoever can help me

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Soo I kinda sound like a phone noob and I guess I am because the echo is my first android phone. I just wanted to ask what exactly does rooting do for the phone and the pros and cons of it, and how hard is it to root a phone. Thanks a lot whoever can help me

Pros tend to be being able to customize and control your phone more. Right now we can only go so far with the Echo in terms of root features, so most people just like being able to tether for free.

Only con is it voids your warranty and insurance(if you have it) but it's undetectable if you break/brick your phone or unroot before taking it to sprint.

For us it's just pressing 1 button on 1 app and your done, same process to unroot.

Last edited:

Cloud_9

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Even we un-root the phone, some techie will recognize that our echo is once rooted.
If you use apk like Z4Root, even you un-root the phone, the Superuser Icon (the skull) still exist in your echo's drawer.
Also if you install some rooted apps like Titanium Backup, Drocap2 or Shootme (for screen capture), root explorer (hello??), etc. These apps still exist even you un-root it with Z4Root.

So I suggest, if you want to claim some warranty on your rooted echo, beside using un-root option on Z4Root also dont forget to uninstall those rooted apps...or just conduct factory / hard reset, this will make your echo back to square one :p

channing21

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Pros tend to be being able to customize and control your phone more. Right now we can only go so far with the Echo in terms of root features, so most people just like being able to tether for free.

Only con is it voids your warranty and insurance(if you have it) but it's undetectable if you break/brick your phone or unroot before taking it to sprint.

For us it's just pressing 1 button on 1 app and your done, same process to unroot.
Thanks a lot for the help. one more thing, I now have the z4 installed on my echo and chose temp root and it just has a spinning thing like it is loading and on the bottom of the screen it says " Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." does this mean I have to wait for something or its already rooted?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If you have a very recent phone and the 2.3 update worked, it may be necessary to root with a different program. This is one of several things being checked now that 2.3 update has begun again.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, well....look before you leap and all that....one guy claimed that supposedly you could keep root if you z4rooted the 2.2 (don't make any changes), then hard-reset and confirmed root was still there, THEN updated.

DulacLancelot

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Kyocera Echo with Gingerbread and rooted

Yeah, well....look before you leap and all that....one guy claimed that supposedly you could keep root if you z4rooted the 2.2 (don't make any changes), then hard-reset and confirmed root was still there, THEN updated.

I think at this point a second person also said he was able to do this. I was apprehensive but I gave it a go, too. I figured I'd want to do it at as "clean" a point as possible, and I just got the phone (my first smartphone, so I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff, either), so I tried it. I'm happy to give hope to others in saying that I may be the third person on this forum to have a rooted Gingerbread phone now. :)

I don't know which steps were actually necessary, but here are some steps I took with the starting point of a new phone:
1) Charged up phone to 100% battery and kept it plugged in the whole time.
2) Connected to my wifi network.
3) Updated firmware to latest. 1.100SP for me, I think. (Settings->System Update->Update Kyocera Software)

---- Played around with phone, tried some apps. Just a note, obviously not part of any procedure. Then, when I decided I wanted to go for it with the rooted Gingerbread thing, continued with the next numbered steps.

4) Activated phone. Mostly the web said it didn't matter if you root before or after activation, but one post said that sometimes on some phones rooting deletes some Activation.apk file and then you could be stuck not being able to activate. So since it didn't really seem to matter, I activated.
5) Downloaded and installed z4root
6) Downloaded and installed the most popular Terminal Emulator from the market (authored by someone whose name started with a J, I think)
7) In the terminal emulator, I typed "su" and then enter on the command line. the SuperUser popup window asked me if I wanted to give the terminal root privileges, so that confirmed I was rooted.
8) I uninstalled all the apps in the Downloaded apps section that I had downloaded to try out, including the Tablet Extension thing, leaving only the Maps and the Market app in that section since that's how things were before I downloaded anything (unless it downloaded and installed these things without me knowing).
9) I did the Factory Reset (Settings->Privacy->Factory Data Reset). I was going to do the Hard Reset instead with the lower volume and power button thing, but that apparently doesn't work on this phone.
10) I had to reenter my wifi network information and Android Market account.
11) Downloaded and installed the Terminal Emulator again to confirm I still had root after the Factory Reset. I did.
12) I uninstalled the Terminal Emulator.
13) Then I factory Reset again. :p
14) I was going to go to Settings->System Update->Update Android, but the phone started downloading that update by itself as soon as I added my wifi network info back in. After it finished downloading (took a while), I ran the update.
15) This update did not clear my wifi info. Confirmed I still had root again by doing the su check with the terminal.
16) said "Yay!"

I hope this helps some others to be brave and be able to get rooted Gingerbread.
I hope this does not cause any others to try it and brick their phone. :(

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
...a 2.3.4 install ready-rooted and (apparently) unbroken.

Gentlemen, this is amazing!

This phone just keeps on giving...

fallonita

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Kyocera Echo with Gingerbread and rooted

Didn't work for me. I received my phone and it was at 1.001. Rooted it and did the update to 1.100 and still had root. Did the factory reset and downloaded the Gingerbread firmware. After the final reboot root was gone.
I guess I am going to return the Echo then. This phone is useless to me if I can't tether. Or I can get another and leave it at the 1.100 firmware update and hope someone figures out root on the lastest firmware.

Reactions: harkavagrant

reversebackwards

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I know that the gingerbread update initially had some issues bricking phones, but here's my bricking experience (from about 2 weeks ago):

booted fresh phone and refused the OTA update
Rooted
hard reset
confirmed I still had root
updated manually through settings->system updates->update android (not OTA update)
phone rebooted and got stuck on kyocera logo screen

Tech at the sprint store couldn't do fastboot over USB to recover, so they gave me a new one and sent the old one to Sanyo (no charges after 2 weeks for the rooted broken phone, keeping fingers crossed)

Sitting with a 1.001SP version phone waiting for news. Wife has another one that took the OTA update.

Bottom line would be to be cautious about manually applying the gingerbread update.

Reactions: harkavagrant

harkavagrant

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I know that the gingerbread update initially had some issues bricking phones, but here's my bricking experience (from about 2 weeks ago):

booted fresh phone and refused the OTA update
Rooted
hard reset
confirmed I still had root
updated manually through settings->system updates->update android (not OTA update)
phone rebooted and got stuck on kyocera logo screen

Tech at the sprint store couldn't do fastboot over USB to recover, so they gave me a new one and sent the old one to Sanyo (no charges after 2 weeks for the rooted broken phone, keeping fingers crossed)

Sitting with a 1.001SP version phone waiting for news. Wife has another one that took the OTA update.

Bottom line would be to be cautious about manually applying the gingerbread update.

ahs this ever happened to anyone else? it happened to me and i ahve 2.2.1 and i really want to root/ update becasue i use the wifi all the time and realyl awant gingerbread but i worry itll jsut brick again..

harkavagrant

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
someone PLEASE REPLY! i want it to OTA update but it doesnt seem to just want to... and im a bit cautios about manually updating it... iguess im sittong on 2.2.1 (rooted) till i hear more.. i cant afford to brick this one especially since it's discontinued

Last edited: