Subtle Ringing in silent mode?

arykka

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I am very new to the Android crowd. I've had a love/hate relationship with my Pre for the past 2 years. I recently decided to get the Echo. From what I've been reading, probably not the greatest Android to start with, but my husband's had a couple so far, and I liked my Pre better. I liked the larger screen of the Echo and the ability to have the keyboard on a separate screen than email/texts, but don't like the slide-out of the Evo Shift.

Anyway, so forgive me if I should know this, but I need some help and I can't find the answer anywhere!

When in silent mode or vibrate, I keep hearing the most quiet/subtle ringing. I can't seem to figure out what triggers it, but the only way I can get it to stop is to shut the phone down. I thought maybe it was a setting I had as an alert of some kind (mail, text, etc), but I can't seem to figure it out.

~Irritated Newbie

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, once again, I have not experienced the issue you are having. When mine is set to vibrate or silent, I never get a ring, not even a really faint one. From your previous post regarding the rebooting and lock-ups, I'm wondering if you truly did get a lemon.

davem2421

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
arykka, if you goto the market and download an app called "AudioManager Widget" by Smart Android Apps, LLC (free version will do just fine) its kind of like a master audio control for the device that might help you narrow down what could be causing that.

as jasonkc25 said I haven't experienced that issue either but will keep any eye on to see if I hear any talk about it.

hope this helps.

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that I got this post mixed up with another question in these forums by a user named Ayryyn. Sorry for the confusion.

J

JonniQuest09

May 9, 2011
Visit site
i too am having the same ringing issue. Even when i have the phone set to silent, sometimes a very faint ringing just starts and will not stop until i make an outgoing call or shut the phone down. very annoying as it's so random. i've brought it to the sprint store where i purchased it and since i could not reproduce the issue, they dismissed it as a "glitch" and shouldn't happen again.

well it's happened many times after that but i can't keep running to the sprint store whenever it decides to ring.

thelorax

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I also have the same issue and it appears to be happening more and more. I've noticed that the ringing is coming from the earpiece of the phone. And if you adjust the volume using the buttons on the side of the phone while this subtle ringing is happening, it says on the screen that you are adjusting your in-call volume. So why does my phone keep thinking I'm in a call and making my phone ring through the earpiece? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere on the web.

davem2421

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry for those people having the problem, I was just curious what you are doing when you put the phone into silent/vibrate? I'm trying to see if I can replicate the problem and hopefully help figure out what might be causing that. I've had my echo since the 1st week it came out and I haven't experienced this.

jmartin311

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I keep mine in silent/vibrate at all times. So, this isn't happening at a set time after turning it on, putting it into silent, etc. It's just a barely audible ringing sound, like there is an incoming call, and it won't stop until you shut the phone completely down. I wish I could give more info, but it quite literally is coming out of nowhere, I haven't been able to nail down a variable.

Nascarchic

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine activated for less than 24 hours and am having the same issue, and mine isn't in silent mode. It's just sitting next to me and it has done this twice today. I have no notifications on screen, and the only way I have found to stop it is to make a call and end it.

The only things I have added since activating the phone last night is a facebook app, gmail, and an exchange mail account. I have added nothing else yet.

bufuraha

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Can't find source of near silent ringing

Same problem here. Must be buggy software. Has anyone tried look at battery usage when this happens. It might show what is running in the background and causing this ringing. Hey we need some help here!

arykka

May 5, 2011
Visit site
My issue is exactly the same Nascarchic. Mine is in silent all of the time. When I got the phone, I didn't notice it until a co-worker mentioned my phone was ringing. Since then, it happens at the most random of times. I have tried/checked everything. No luck.

thelorax

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes there really seems to be nothing triggering it. It just randomly starts happening. It seems to be happening more and more frequently and it is really making me regret having this phone.

I uninstalled my facebook app to see if it still happens and I'm going to report back.

*EDIT* Uninstalling facebook did nothing. Must just be a problem with the phone. I really hope someone finds a fix soon. I think the constant ringing drains your battery too.

Last edited:

thelorax

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a feeling it has something to do with roaming. When I am at home, my service is at full bars, and I do not think that I experienced the problem there yet. But at work and at spots on the way home, I occasionally lose service and I'm roaming. This is when the subtle ringing must kick in. Still unsure of a solution, I wish somebody could figure something out.

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Dont allow your phone to roam. There are settings for sprint network only.

Android4Life

Xoom Unlocked, Rooted, Themed, and Overclocked at 1.5
Kyocera Echo, Rooted and just plain Awesome!

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Haven't got mine yet but this is a interesting problem, anyone check to see what processes are running when it happens?

debluvsdogs

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Same problem with ringing here and it's driving me crazy. It's random and seems to be for no reason I can find. SOMEONE HAS to know the reason for this and how to stop it. I've gone into settings and checked and unchecked everything I could imagine might help, but nothing does. When it's happening, my normal ringtone volume is automatically turned WAY down and I miss calls because I can not hear it. I have friends with Android phones and it doesn't happen to them, but after looking at this forum, I'm relieved to know it isn't just me. Misery loves company. So someone please help, this is annoying and sometimes I'd like to throw it against the wall. :'(

debluvsdogs

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Same problem with ringing here and it's driving me crazy. It's random and seems to be for no reason I can find. SOMEONE HAS to know the reason for this and how to stop it. I've gone into settings and checked and unchecked everything I could imagine might help, but nothing does. When it's happening, my normal ringtone volume is automatically turned WAY down and I miss calls because I can not hear it. I have friends with Android phones and it doesn't happen to them, but after looking at this forum, I'm relieved to know it isn't just me. Misery loves company. So someone please help, this is annoying and sometimes I'd like to throw it against the wall. :'(
OK, so I just posted the above comment, but since then, I think I figured something out. AT LEAST how to instantly turn of the ringing. The ringing did return, but at least it's a way to stop it temporarily, and I won't have to throw it against a wall immediately. SO, from your main screen, hit your "menu" button, go to "settings", then go to "applications", then go to "manage applications", then at the top of the screen click on "running". Find "dialer" and click on it, hit "force stop" and the ringing instantly stops. Like I said, it didn't last TOO long, but this is more info than I've seen anyone else post about stopping the ringing at all. So I hope this helps even a little bit.