Where is everyone?

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am by no means a dev or even a pretend dev, but isn't a system dump only good for makeing Rom's? Don't u need the source to acctually be able to create a recovery and then kernals? Maybe if you emailed Kyocera and asked nicely, they might hook you up.....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I am by no means a dev or even a pretend dev, but isn't a system dump only good for makeing Rom's? Don't u need the source to acctually be able to create a recovery and then kernals? Maybe if you emailed Kyocera and asked nicely, they might hook you up.....

Yep, you got that right. At the least we could make a deodexed rom out of it and maybe themes but we need the source for kernals, and seeing how it's the same processer as the evo that we could probably make some good ones fairly quickly. As for the recovery idk if we need source for that, I'll have to research more into recoverys. If we don't maybe we can start in on a working version of clockworkmod at least

Cloud_9

May 10, 2011
Visit site
ha ha..yup that's right bro..
I already download it, it about 90mb..but how to use it??
How to enter download mode on Echo??

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
ha ha..yup that's right bro..
I already download it, it about 90mb..but how to use it??
How to enter download mode on Echo??

Well I think the place to start is probably deodexing it which would make our ROM smaller at least. As for getting to recovery I found this:
How to hard reset the Kyocera Echo - Know Your Cell

It mentions getting to recovery. Again I can't test it since I don't have mine yet but can someone let me know if you can boot to recovery by holding Vol down and power?

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I think the place to start is probably deodexing it which would make our ROM smaller at least. As for getting to recovery I found this:
How to hard reset the Kyocera Echo - Know Your Cell

It mentions getting to recovery. Again I can't test it since I don't have mine yet but can someone let me know if you can boot to recovery by holding Vol down and power?

I haven't been able to get this to work. When I do it, my phone just hangs at the Kyocera branding screen. I have also used a reboot app that will bott your phone into recovery. When I do this though, the phone reboots and then I get an image of the Android robot and an exclamation point and it won't go any further.

J

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been able to get this to work. When I do it, my phone just hangs at the Kyocera branding screen. I have also used a reboot app that will bott your phone into recovery. When I do this though, the phone reboots and then I get an image of the Android robot and an exclamation point and it won't go any further.

J
Hmmmmm, well that sounds like stock recovery but I can't be sure. I'll have mine tomorrow so I'll be able to experiment on it to see if I can find out how to get into recovery

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
That's sooo awesome. Finally source CODE! We shouls be able to start geting stuff going now with development.

Android4Life!! Sent from my Kyocera Echo using Tapatalk.

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome! I only wish I knew something about coding. I took a basic class in college 15 years ago! lol
J

It's cool, the only thing I really know well is theme-ing, past that I only have some experience playing around in the system, and I've got no coding knowledge at all lmao

Luckly, I'm good with anything DIY, so I'm just gonna give myself a crash course on everything android, modding, buliding from source, and anything else I can find:cool:

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
It's cool, the only thing I really know well is theme-ing, past that I only have some experience playing around in the system, and I've got no coding knowledge at all lmao

Luckly, I'm good with anything DIY, so I'm just gonna give myself a crash course on everything android, modding, buliding from source, and anything else I can find:cool:

Need to get a recovery to stick....from what I have been able to read up on, modding amon ra's recovery should be the easiest way to go.....now that the echo has been freed, I am thinking of grabbing one again. Here's to releasing to real potential of this cool device....

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Need to get a recovery to stick....from what I have been able to read up on, modding amon ra's recovery should be the easiest way to go.....now that the echo has been freed, I am thinking of grabbing one again. Here's to releasing to real potential of this cool device....

That and how to get to recovery lol. But I agree that's the place to start, since we need reovery to pretty much flash anything to the phone

meggerz

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to sound extremely stupid but what all can you do with the source codes?
This is my first android phone and I'm a high schooler so sorry for my ignorance with this, lol. I have read a little about this stuff and my Dad has mentioned some stuff since he works for sprint but I don't really know much....

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to sound extremely stupid but what all can you do with the source codes?
This is my first android phone and I'm a high schooler so sorry for my ignorance with this, lol. I have read a little about this stuff and my Dad has mentioned some stuff since he works for sprint but I don't really know much....

The source code allows developers to basically modify the current ROM (the Android OS installed on the phone). The benefits to this are many but usually the following are the biggies:
? Quicker fixes of various bugs
? Removal of bloatware (Sprint apps and other applications nobody uses)
? Addition of better/more efficient kernels (basically the brain of the OS)
? General performance and speed enhancements
? Addition of advanced features
? Port over newer versions of the Android OS that have not yet been released for the phone.

If you go to Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers there literally thousands of developers working on various phones. It's quite amazing really.

J

meggerz

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
The source code allows developers to basically modify the current ROMdy (the Android OS installed on the phone). The benefits to this are many but usually the following are the biggies:
? Quicker fixes of various bugs
? Removal of bloatware (Sprint apps and other applications nobody uses)
? Addition of better/more efficient kernels (basically the brain of the OS)
? General performance and speed enhancements
? Addition of advanced features
? Port over newer versions of the Android OS that have not yet been released for the phone.

If you go to Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers there literally thousands of developers working on various phones. It's quite amazing really.

J

Wow it really does sound amazing, thank you for explaining! :)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
There are other great benefits, like owning an HTC phone without being forced to use Sense interface, or taking your Samsung device out of the 2.1 stone-age. The core is based on Linux, which volunteers have been modifying for decades. The big trick is creating new performance tweaks for the various ARM processors, but people think these devices should be running on Ubuntu with a custom 3D interface.

Also, be sure to ask someone if any feature seems to be missing or there is a weird behavior. Most of the time, there's an app for that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes