Questions for 3G/4G/LTE Current/Past Tablet Owners/Users

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently owner of Sprint's Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G and Tab 10.1 WiFi. Tethering is okay and really not always convenient or possible as other members of the family do not have that option when the tablet is with them. I'm thinking about getting a tablet with mobile radio (3G, 4G, LTE, HSPA+, WiMAX, etc.) I won't be a heavy user like someone on the road or travel overseas (mainly US travel, if that). It would be great to hear from those with current/past experience to help with the decisions:

1. Is it worth it at all, as the upfront cost I assume is usually more than the wifi only version?
  2. Which carrier? Sprint has unlimited data but only on 4G, and I have to sign up for at least 3GB/month plan to use it. Their 4G coverage is spotty, so I wouldn't even consider it as a must-have for tablet (unless you think otherwise from your tablet experience).
  3. Along with above, doesn't look like Sprint offers use-as-you-go or month-by-month usage, but haven't confirmed it. That sounds like what I need, what do you think? Which carrier is best?
  4. For occasional streaming of movies or TV shows, how much data should I be thinking about? 3GB/month or less/more?
  5. I'm thinking a smaller tablet for ease of portability, since I'll be using it more out and about. Is 7" too small or should I wait for 7.7, 8, 8.9 versions?
Sorry for a lot of questions, but any information from your past/current experience would greatly help. Thanks in advanced.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Use T-Mobile. I say that because their plans are Unlimited EDGE with x-amount of 3G/4G.

I have T-Mobile's G-Slate, which is 8.9 inches and is running Honeycomb. The 2 GB or 5 GB plan is probably what you're looking at, depending on how often you will be streaming. I'm on the $10 200 MB Overage Free plan after a $10 voice discount. The 2 GB plan is $30 if you use a Value Plan by buying it outright, and $40 if you buy it at the 2-year contract discount price. You get a $10 discount if you have a T-Mobile voice line. All of the plans except the 200 MB plans are Overage Free. That means that you're simply throttled after going over your limit. There is a $0.10 per MB overage fee on the 200 MB plan, but I'm grandfathered into the discontinued Overage Free plan.

As for the tablets, the G-Slate is a Honeycomb tablet that is 8.9", while the Dell Streak 7 is a Froyo 7" tablet. There is also the original Galaxy Tab, but it is not 4G-capable.

My advice is to buy a lightly used one off EBay and use the Value Plans. That's what I did. The one I got is like new, but the actual condition of yours will vary by seller.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks FreakyLocz14. Obviously, the reason for mobile version is so I can use it outside of wifi hotspots. The convenience of data access, GPS nav, and streaming of music and movies for long boring drives and such. Guess I'll have to also consider carrier coverage, also.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante