HTC Flyer & Toshiba Thrive both $299

SparksStar

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to buy my first tablet I've been looking at the HTC Flyer ($299) for a couple weeks but now there is a Groupon for the Toshiba Thrive at $299 so I'm debating between the 2.

Budget: approx $300

Size: Flyer is 7" vs. the Thrive 10". I like the idea of a 7" screen and being able to stick it in my purse but it isn't that much larger than my HTC Inspire but I would probably be using in more at home in front of the tv or in bed. Is it worth upgrading to the 10" screen?

Uses: I'll probably be using the tablet as an e-reader, web browser, or Netflix viewer nothing super fancy. I think the pen is an interesting concept with the Flyer (I know it cost extra). The Thrive has the USB port and HDMI output but again don't know if I would use it (honestly don't have anything for it to output to).

Also I'm use to the HTC sense interface and I like it but this isn't necessary.

Any recommendations? Is there another tablet I'm overlooking?

g00dhum0r

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm on the same boat. I went to best buy and played around with the HTC flyer and really liked it so I bought it. Plus, it was the only 7" tablet I really looked at because I am HTC bias. I have a HTC Incredible and I really love it. Also, the Incredible just updated to gingerbread last night which is nice too. Best buy didn't have any Flyers in stock so I ordered it and picked it up this past monday. So far it is nice and I like the feel of it. It is comfortable to hold and works perfect for everything I have used it for. I hope it does get a software update if I decide to keep it. To be honest it feels like I am using a bigger version of my phone.

Today, I realized that the Toshiba Thrive 10" tablet will be on sale for around $300 as well so I started watching some youtube videos on it. It looks nice but I am hearing bad things about the bulk and the screen brightness. I do, however, like how it offers many different type of ports to connect other devices. I can still return the HTC and get the Toshiba but I am not sure. I am planning on going to best buy and playing around with the Toshiba this week.

I have a nice desktop and I recently bought a dell XPS 15 laptop not even three months ago. I want to be able to use my laptop and by no means am I trying to replace it with a tablet. So, I don't really need a tablet with all that much connectivity because my laptop offers a lot. But then again I don't really even need a tablet. It's nice to have though.

I can't decide whether I should just stick with a 7" tablet (HTC Flyer) or get a 10" (Toshiba Thrive)...