Looking for a tablet around the $200 mark. Need recommendations.

Kelemvor33

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
So, we're going to pool some Xmas gift funds to get a family tablet. We have no need for an iPad2 at the $500+ price so that's out right there. We're looking around the $200 mark. I'd like an 8" or larger tab and capacitive is a must.

I see the Sams & Walmart have the Vizio 8" tab for $195.
8" Vizio Wi-Fi Touchscreen Tablet - Sam's Club
I believe it runs Android 2.3 and I emailed Vizio to see if they have any upgrade plans and was told they have no plans at this time.

I also think I can get the Archos 101 10" (not the G9 version) for between $200 - $250 so that could also work.
ARCHOS
That only runs 2.2 out of the box but seems to have better developer support than the Vizio. Pretty sure there are updated ROMs that have Android 3 but I haven't looked much yet.

I have no problem mod'ing up a tablet to add gApps or whatever else as long as someone has some instructions somewhere.

This would primarily be used as a family tablet. Kids will have some games on there, adults will have some other games and do some browsing. Will be used for watching movies from the SD card or storage. Just a good, general purpose tablet.

Just looking for recommendations between the two above or something completely different that I haven't thought of yet. This will be my first tablet so I'm sure there's some out there that I don't even know about yet.

Thanks!!

EDIT: I also have been checking out the Black Friday deals but haven't seen much there yet either:
Tablets Sale Items - Black Friday @ GottaDeal.com

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Looking for a tablet around the $200 mark. Need recommendati

I'm also very interested in getting a tablet, but I really don't want to pay more than $250 for it (preferably closer to $200). I've pre-ordered Amazon's Kindle Fire, as it seems to suit my needs (not to mention, I've been with Amazon for years, now), but... I'd really like something that's not locked down so much. Additionally, I'd really like to have Honeycomb, but it seems like Honeycomb tablets typically start at $350, and that's out of my price range. Battery life is also very important to me.

I'm curious as to whether or not any current ones will have nice Black Friday sales, preferably via Amazon (so I can avoid paying tax). So, I don't know if I want to cancel my Fire pre-order so I can wait and see, or if I should just stick with it, and hope there's an easy way to root it/ run regular Android on it...

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site

The new Nook Tablet was just announced. Might be a good option.

William13

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

I have been eyeballing the Lenovo IdeaPad Tablet A1, just lately its been as low as $199,
but seems to have gone back up to around $220-$250.

I have a HP Touchpad, and its a good Android Tablet, but the lack of GPS and a rear
facing camera kinda kills it for me.

END

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

If you are set on 200.00 as the mark, then I would say the Kindle Fire fits the bill from what is out there.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol