Need Opinion - Tablet Confusion!

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Tab 7" 3G vs HTC Evo View 7" 4G

OK Folks, I am new to the site, new to Android, am in a bit of a pickle, and cant seem to come to a conclusion to what I should do.

Background:
I have been an iPhone / iPad user in the past. I have an iPad2 (wifi) and an iPhone 4 (on Verizon w/ mobile hotspot). I am somewhat knowledgeable when it comes to technology, but the Android / tablet world is a little new to me.

I am in need of a 7" tablet (as mentioned, I have an iPad, looking for more portable but still usable. No 8.8" or 10", I want the 7" form factor). Additionally, twice a year (at least) I will be connecting to my Slingbox (while attending races at Daytona), so I will need some sort of fast wireless connection (preferably built in) during those times. I dont want to take the iPad and use Hotspot, as a) its too big for what i need, and b) its expensive and is asking to get stolen and c) thats 2 items I have to keep powered for a 24 hour race (ipad and hotspot).

The Pickle
I purchased an Verizon 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3G (Verizon) on a Woot! deal last week. Even though it is older, I believe it serves all of my needs (Built-in connectivity, GPS, 7" form factor) But I have concerns about the 3G speed (for viewing slingbox) with all of the crowds at the races. Also, while I am pretty sure that Gingerbread will suit all of my needs on this tablet, Should I be concerned that it will be outdated soon? I can activate this not-on-contract for $30 including wifi-hotspot. This would allow me to drop the hotspot on my phone and basically give me a 3G tablet for $10 a month.

It was that concern that led me to do what I did today. 1-sale-a-day was offering the HTC Evo View 4G (Sprint) for $229 with no contract. So i decided, "Hey, 4G speeds will fix all concerns about speed for Slingbox.. And its a newer tablet, so its possibly going to get Honeycomb!" Awesome!

Except after i bought it, I found out one not-so-awesome thing: Sprint REQUIRES that you have a 2-year contract if you have 4G; no month-to-month, EVEN if you bought the item outright. :'( (They also have no free hotspot which confuses me ) It is MINIMUM $34.95 for 4G, plus $29.95 if i wanted to add hot-spot... (which isnt gonna happen). Seeing how we dont have 4G where we live and basically are gonna need the 4G coverage 2 times a year, a contract without hotspot doesnt look so appealing...

The Decision that needs to be made
I cant keep both, so I will be selling one. Should I
A) Keep the older, not as fast Galaxy Tab, activate it month-to-month on Verizon, hope that 3G works well during the races for watching Slingbox, use it as my hotspot (drop the iphone hotspot) and live happily ever after. Adds $10 a month to my bill.

or

B) Keep the HTC, use my (iPhone) Verizon 3G hotspot and hope it works well for the races. Just ignore the fact that its 4G. :( (Will the GPS navigation even work like this??) Adds nothing to my bill, but is less convenient.

or

C) Keep the HTC, activate it on Sprint. Pay the $34.95 and be stuck in a 2 year contract. (I need hotspot so id keep that on phone. This would add $34.95 to my monthly bill).

After all this, I guess my question comes down to this: Is the performance of the HTC Evo View THAT much better than the Galaxy Tab that I should keep it, even though it doesnt meet my connection needs?

Thanks in advance for your help/opinions!

Last edited:

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, just an update: Since I wasnt familiar with Android yet and didnt want a contract, I decided to keep the Samsung Galaxy Tab. LOVING IT so far! I know its slower and only 3g, but at least I dont have to pay to get out of a contract if I dont like it! So far so good! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781