Best Skype Tablet?
07-19-2013 10:19 AM
- I want to pick up a tablet for my mother-in-law. She only speaks Russian, and has a netbook, but I want something a bit safer and neater.
It'll be primarily for Skype, so that means it needs a front-facing camera and at least Gingerbread for that to work. So the Kindle Fires and Nooks are out. Any suggestions? 7" vs 10" isn't a huge deal.02-22-2012 08:18 PM
- Any tablet with a front facing camera will do. If your grandmother is on the older side, an iPad does have an easier learning curve to it then an Android tablet
Skype works on a lot of tablets but it does have issues with the more generic tablets so be sure to do your research before you make a buy
The HTC Flyer is now sitting at the $300 price point and it supports Skype
The Samsung Galaxy Tab, any size all supports Skype and have great designs02-23-2012 09:05 AM
Keep in mind this is going to your grandmother, you don't want to be so harsh if it makes her life easier. i gave other cheaper android options. All of them are worthwhile tablets. In the realm of cheaper tablets you have to be careful. Not all tablets support skype, you don't want to get a $200 dollar device and not be able to serve your original purpose02-23-2012 09:20 PM
- Zenithink has just came out with a 10 inch tablet that is $199.00 at tablet-world.com and it has capacitive touch screen, Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich OS, front facing webcam, preloaded Skype, and, get this, it is 1Ghtz. with a full 1GB RAM and 8GB drive. Comes with a case,Hdmi cable (to connect to the built in HDMI port to tv or monitor) and also comes with an extra 8GB micro SD card for FREE!
This is a smoking hot deal and the reviews on this tablet are all great.
personally, I think you should check them out. It's a no-brainer I think.
Good luck.03-30-2012 03:21 AM
- Update:Though I haven't yet received the Zenithink tablet I mentioned earlier to test it (and report my findings here first) according to tablet-world.com ,who responded to my email within 12 hours, that model called the "upgraded" model is also pre- rooted!! They even provided a link to a well known app that is root Android only and suggested I try it if I had any reservations about their claims.
NOTE: At the site you can make an offer of what you're willing to pay and they accept or reject your offer within 24 hours. The price started at $209.00 for the 10" rooted model "upgraded" from 512MB to 1GB of RAM. My initial offer of $190 was rejected but my second offer of $199 was accepted with a direct link in the reply with the page with adjusted price.
True,I am taking a chance with a new manufacturer but with the protection of Paypal and Tablet World I believe I'll be o.k. in the long run. Oh, by the way, that tablet has Russian language package also.
Good luck.04-03-2012 01:58 AM
- I don't know the dates of your posting but I too am in search of a good tablet. Skype yes, gaming, browsing, but mostly email for business. I do love taking pictures and wanted to know how your tablet is working. Do you still like it and recommend it? I have mostly been researching Asus and Samsung tablets. With so much info out there its starting to be overwhelming! Help? July 201307-18-2013 02:52 PM
- More Android Goodness
- The Archives
- Android Central Archives
- Misc. Android Tablets
Best Skype Tablet?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD