Nexus 10 or laptop?

Clendi

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if I should buy a nexus 10 and a bare bone pc so I can control it with splashtop or just get a laptop. Advice please.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Laptop would be more convenient but if all you will be doing is Web surfing and some email then the tab would probably be your best bet. It all depends on what you are attempting to accomplish.

Sent from my Samsung Proclaim using the AC forums app.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm a grad student and I use a nexus 7 and wireless keyboard. I have a desktop at home with a big monitor for some projects, but I do just fine in class with a n7. If you have access to a desktop, then get the tablet. Try a 7 tab, I had a 10 and got rid of it because I hated holding it. It's much easier to hold a 7 when reading for long periods of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you need the full OS experience of Windows 7/8, just go with a laptop.

Word processing apps are decent, but nothing like MS Office. Barely any apps recognize the full functionality of external keyboards, which can get pretty tiresome. Evernote is the only one I've tried that recognizes CTRL + C/V/A--Kingsoft Office and OfficeSuite don't, and none recognize ctrl + z (pretty damn necessary in a word processor). Pretty cumbersome. If you need programs like Photoshop, you'll never find a decent app alternative. If you need a statistical package, you're outta luck.

But if you're just going to use it to consume media, take notes, stay organized, browse the web, etc, an android tablet will do just fine. As frustrated as I am with the limitation of apps out there, I know developers are working on better stuff as we speak. So hopefully in a year or two, we'll get some serious MS Office alternatives? Maybe Photoshop will make their app better?

tyson.clarke

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm a grad student and I use a nexus 7 and wireless keyboard. I have a desktop at home with a big monitor for some projects, but I do just fine in class with a n7. If you have access to a desktop, then get the tablet. Try a 7 tab, I had a 10 and got rid of it because I hated holding it. It's much easier to hold a 7 when reading for long periods of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

What brand of keyboard do you have?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Imma Fubared

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I'm in between wanting the Nexus 7 or the 10. I have a home network with the my desktop and my wifes 15 inch laptop so we have computers. In addition we take her laptop on all road trips but not air trips since we have enough stuff to carry as it is.
I got her the kindle paperwhite and it works great but now I want something so read too and was thinking why not get something a with a few bells and whistles instead of another plain jane paperwhite.

The Nexus 7 would fit the bill but that devil on my right shoulder is screaming at me, hey if you want to watch moviers and actually be able to read what's on the net, you better get the 10 inch. The angel on the other shoulder is saying, the 10 inch is too big to lug around, get the 7 inch for portability since I have two computers already in the home.

I think I'm going to opt for the 7 inch.

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I'm in between wanting the Nexus 7 or the 10. I have a home network with the my desktop and my wifes 15 inch laptop so we have computers. In addition we take her laptop on all road trips but not air trips since we have enough stuff to carry as it is.
I got her the kindle paperwhite and it works great but now I want something so read too and was thinking why not get something a with a few bells and whistles instead of another plain jane paperwhite.

The Nexus 7 would fit the bill but that devil on my right shoulder is screaming at me, hey if you want to watch moviers and actually be able to read what's on the net, you better get the 10 inch. The angel on the other shoulder is saying, the 10 inch is too big to lug around, get the 7 inch for portability since I have two computers already in the home.

I think I'm going to opt for the 7 inch.

You have to decide what you want to do with the tablet. The only time that I prefer a 7" is when reading a lot. I haven't found a good way to read my N10 in bed comfortably. But I use it for EVERYTHING else. With Tablet Talk, AirDroid, and SplashTop, I don't pick up my phone or laptop while at home. Plus the N10 has a HDMI port so I can play movies on my TV. An N10 is not a replacement for a laptop. But with a good keyboard (logitec for Android) and SplashTop 2, I have don't actually have to carry mine around with me.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD