Simple, basic question about a Craig Netbook....

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I will start off by apologizing if this is not where I should be asking this question. I have trying to figure out where to post this so I will just post it here. Today, we have bought an inexpensive, $99 Craig netbook at Rite Aid. We purchased it for my 70 year old mother in law for Christmas because her desktop computer is on the fritz and all she wants to be able to do it to be able to sit on her couch and get on facebook to connect with her family and also to pay an occasional bill. I have been on different forums and websites trying to get some reviews of this product and every time I find anything about it people go on and on about rooting and stuff which I have no idea what that is and frankly don't want to. My question is....this netbook, out of the box, as is with no additions, will it connect to a wireless modem and surf the net easily or not? Like I said all she will be doing with it is paying her few bills and logging onto facebook. The computer she has right now is as slow as molasses so anything for her would be a marked improvement. We just can't afford right now to purchase a laptop for her and a tablet is not her cup of tea as she wants a keyboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It will need to connect to a "N" router, but yes it will connect. I am sure that you are aware of the shortcomings of the netbook, but it will do what you stated with the right router.

BrandonTheGreat

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
i have a craig netbook or tablet or whatever its called, and the weather app is not working properly. The only settings are to add a city or change how often it updates but it has not updated at all. it simply says '' no weather info'' at all times. plz help!! thanks

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow.. Good luck with that. I'm sure it will probably connect to wireless as long as its the older N standard. I just wouldn't expect much in terms of performance or reliability from something like that. Hopefully it's just a temporary solution and your expectations are suitably low...

Mr Smith1

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have several tablets and have worked repairing laptops for over 20 yrs. The CLP281x which is available here in Central NC 2nd week of Dec 2012, is a decent Android 4.0 version with 1.3GHz CPU, 1GB memory, and 4GB of internal flash. The HDMI output worked from YouTube in some simple tests, at 720p resolution. Good starting point. As an EXTRA laptop or desktop supplement, this may work out OK if it is sturdy enough for the intended user and the person using it can comfortably access the small keys on the QWERTY mini-netbook keyboard. This Android image is already registered to Google Play, unlike some of the other sub-$100 low priced tablets.

So far colors and operation are good after a few days. There was some fading in and out of the screen brightness when run at less than maximum screen intensity. Putting the control up to maximum stopped that. The wired ethernet does work and the wireless worked as well as comparable Uniden branded tablets. The screen is NOT a touch screen, though the touchpad has decent responsiveness. A 16GB class 4 flash card is working fine to supplement the built-in 4GB. If this continues to run OK this week it will be a gift to my better half instead of a similarly priced Android tablet.

I am concerned about build quality as Craig is a complete unknown for tablets or netbooks to me.

Mark in Central NC

Last edited:

Mr Smith1

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The CLP281x has worked great... when it is on wired ethernet. BUT the WiFi subsystem on this netbook has not been able to hold even a strong nearby signal consistently for more than 10-15 minutes at a time . So if you are looking for a fully integrated equivalent to a nettop system with a built-in backup battery, this may do well for you! For us, we really did want to have the ability to use this as a wireless netbook and the WiFi performance simply eliminated that option. Perhaps there is something that could be tweaked, I don't see any fixes on the Craig site, only a rar file for re-loading this current generation netbook. Going back to RiteAid, sigh.

marcyshusband

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I bought one of these last week. Pretty neet. I connected to my home network with the WiFi with no trouble. Still haven't figured out how to download Apps yet. They appear in my download file but I can't open or install them. Love the real keyboard.

Infowars Dot Com

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Craig Netbook is a joke

I just bought a Craig CLP285 'Netbook' and I'm about to return it- It's way too squirrely and figety to navigate on and it doesn't allow you to copy & paste text!
I have to be able to copy/paste stuff but I called Craig inc and they're dumb kid on the phone had to ask someone else who confirmed that there is no way to highlite text and copy/paste it, so the thing is effectively useless to me. Twice already I was on a website and it suddenly disappeared, sending me back to the start. Frustrating as hell. I guess I have to get a real laptop again since this android thing is ridiculous, and I tried the new pad/tablet whatever things and cannot stand the finger slide way to navigate and hitting the tiny buttons wrong and constantly having to back up etc.

katy anstey

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have one and I love it. I can google, do facebook, anything a laptop can do. It has a camer front facing so I can skype or fb with friends and family . Well worth the price !!!

Sasha Whitefur

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I wan t to use the Ethernet port, it doesn't seem to work without logging onto my ISP, however I don't need password, to open it. This netbook demands a password. How may I get around that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX