Gizmodo Poll: Android Tablet or iPad?

Mahbles

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
There was a great poll on Gizomodo today, which I'm sure a lot of fellow Android lovers saw:
Would You Rather Have an Android Tablet or an iPad?

At the time I voted, 8:45AM HST, there were over 15,000 votes for the Android tablet and over 10,000 for the iPad.

I find this interesting as the only Android tablet we've seen proof of life on, is the Samsung Galaxy Tab, which hasn't been announced for release in the US yet. Even with my DX, I still plan on getting an iPad. Anyway, something fun to read.

MoreGeeBeez

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I voted Android but until they release a 10-12" 1280x720 resolution tablet I won't be buying one. The specs for the Galaxy S are to close to my phone to justify buying one. The iPad is even worse when it comes to differing itself from the i*hone.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. If I am getting a Phone OS tablet, I know they are doing it for flexibility and power consumption reasons. But I still expect a tablet, to have a better screen resolution, better CPU, more memory, and more flexibility. That is why I think that we will see that first on an Android tablet. I just hope we don't have to wait a year for them to flesh themselves out.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I need a 10 inch tab the 7 just looks like a phone too much. If you can hold it with one hand like the 7 inch it don't make it much better than my phone. Hoping for a 10 inch by moto or some android giant.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
i need to see something compelling to be enticed into an android tablet.

maybe gingerbread will offer something for the tablet space.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I'd definitely look into an Android Tablet over the iPad. I hate the iPad because it just seems like a bloated iPod Touch. I'm assuming there'd be quite a few official Android tablets and it'd be nice to have choices.

dougsyo

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I've been weighing the pros and cons of iPad vs android tablet a lot lately:

iPad pro:
- available now
- apps available now are more than "up-scaled phone apps"
- standard format (resolution, etc) with wide distribution
- lots of apps available
- mature accessory ecosystem

iPad con:
- weight/size
- no Adobe Flash
- requires Mac to do programming
- App store issues, tied to iTunes to purchase/install
- A platform I otherwise have no investment in
- ATT (3G versions)

Android pro:
- probably multiple form factors (7" and 10" for starters)
- less expensive (possibly), some may be carrier-subsidized (for better or worse)
- external storage options (micro-SDHC, for example)
- Development tools available free on Windows, Mac and Linux

Android con:
- Stock Froyo allows max screen of 480x854.
- Non-standard resolution/size implementations may affect app availability or limit certain apps to certain screen sizes, until configurations stabilize.
- Not all tablets will have Android Market, it appears
- Will apps be mostly phone apps on bigger screen? How long before real tablet-specific apps?
- Eclair vs Froyo vs ?
- Will any of these be as aesthetically-pleasing as an iPad?

Doug

Last edited:

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you Doug.. I'm on the fence about getting an iPad, just because it does have the apps I need/use.. but I'd rather have the Android OS, as I do love it as an OS (plus it does actually multitask)...I just wish the apps that I use on the iPad would have something close on Android.

I have another month before I bite the bullet (gotta love gift cards)..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835